5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blown Springs / Alignment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Blown Springs / Alignment Problem

I've had to get 3 alignments in 6 months since I bought my 2001 I30T. I believe my struts/springs are blown, because I have a terribly harsh ride.

I feel every single little bump in the road, and recently I can also feel the car swaying side to side when I go over "cobblestone" like roads. I just got an alignment a month ago, and last night I drove over some really bad roads a little too fast (maybe going 25 or so), and I think my alignment is crooked again (dang it!!).

I'm getting tired of spending $90 or so on alignments - would replacing my struts/springs first, then getting the alignment be better? I want a soft soft soft ride, and I'm interested in what kind of struts/springs package will I need to achieve that?

I'm thinking with new springs/struts, this will keep my alignment straight for a longer period of time.... what do you guys think?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by rLx77
I've had to get 3 alignments in 6 months since I bought my 2001 I30T. I believe my struts/springs are blown, because I have a terribly harsh ride.

I feel every single little bump in the road, and recently I can also feel the car swaying side to side when I go over "cobblestone" like roads. I just got an alignment a month ago, and last night I drove over some really bad roads a little too fast (maybe going 25 or so), and I think my alignment is crooked again (dang it!!).

I'm getting tired of spending $90 or so on alignments - would replacing my struts/springs first, then getting the alignment be better? I want a soft soft soft ride, and I'm interested in what kind of struts/springs package will I need to achieve that?

I'm thinking with new springs/struts, this will keep my alignment straight for a longer period of time.... what do you guys think?
Is this the stock suspension? If so you can go to Firestone or somethign like that and get a lifetime alignment for one hundred something dollars.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:28 PM

hmm interesting.. thanks... yes stock suspension. crappy stock i must admit for touring model.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by rLx77
hmm interesting.. thanks... yes stock suspension. crappy stock i must admit for touring model.

springs usually don't blow, I bet it is the struts. Push down on each corner of the car if it bounces a few times the struts may be blown.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:33 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Put a set of Tokico Blue performance struts and rear shocks in your I30t. They are a direct OEM replacement and will give you that new car ride back. They ride very smooth. Have your alignment set after the installation. Bumps should not throw off your alignment that fast, you might have something loose in your suspension. Worn out struts are probably whats giving you the harsh ride. Make sure your tire pressure is set correctly, don't use the max. on the tire's side wall, use Infiniti's recommended pressures which should be around 35F / 32R COLD.

Springs don't ware out, you don't need to replace them. The struts are what provide you with ride control and comfort. The I30t comes with a nice suspension setup. Your just needs to be refreshed.