5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

those w h&r or tein h/s tech w/illuminas

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:38 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

those w h&r or tein h/s tech w/illuminas

I know there have been a million threads about the spring choices out there, but I need good feed back from those with the h&r or the tein s or h tech with illuminas. i want to know your true feelings on these two/three setups. ride confort and drop are what i am concerned with. i have seen the pics of the drops, and would prefer the drop of the s tech, but i want a firm, but smooth ride...german like in feel. the h and the h&r's are pretty close in drops from what i have seen, but like i said-it's about the ride, cause that is the subjective point. thanks in advance for those that give good advise...personal experience-not, i know a guy, who has a civic, who rode in a maxima with blah blah blah.... those with out anything beneficial to add...please post somewhere else.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

H&R's will be higher than the Tein H techs. H&R's are the smoothest spring we have available for the Maxima. H&R's also have a sag azz appearance. Both springs are high quality and progressive.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:35 AM

i agree with the H and R with the sagging, i got the s techs, and i love the appearance with the drop, but it depends on your road coniditions. I have the illuminas so i can adjust them to my standards. You can feel the road more with the s techs, its a very low drop, but i love it, i put the settings on 3f/4r and it drives really smooth on the freeway but when it comes to pot holes, cracks and dips, you can realy feel it. I live in San francisco where the roads are hazardous, but i just prevent as many dips as i can.. It doesnt Hurt the car, and it doesnt bother me really because i love the way it looks and sits.... i never tried softer settings on the illuminas yet but maybe i should experiment the difference and see if thier is a big difference in drive comfort... but it sounds like your concerned about the comfort, then i would go more with the H techs, but if you like the way the s techs look dont let it stop you, but i would suggest that you get the illuminas with any of your choice of springs, that way you can adjust them to your standards..... hope this helped.!!!!! check out my sig for my cardomain page to see more pics of the s techs with the illuminas
Old 02-21-2005, 05:34 AM

i have maxspeeds and illuminas now. in the summer i will generally run 3f/4r or 4f/5r, but even now on 1f/2r, expansion joints and abrupt changes feel like someone took a sledge hammer to my frame...i feel like the glove box will come off the hinges! like it has been said, the maxspeeds are pretty smooth over normal road conditions, but not on the rough ny roads. nismo... thanks for your input. i need to hear from nore s-tech guys.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:12 AM

I have H&R/Illumina, set at 3/3. I am used to stiffer suspensions, ie Trans-Am on Eiibach/Koni and Miata on Stock/Koni, so the Maxima setup feels very smooth and comfortable to me.

The H&R/Illumina simply feels like the way the stock setup SHOULD have been done. It is a huge improvement over stock, with none of the negatives (rubbing, scraping, bad on bumps, etc.) that are common to lowered suspensions.

I agree with the comments regarding the "sag to da back" look. However, it stil looks tight to me. See my cardomain page for some close-up before/after pics of the drop to get a better visual.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:30 AM

I have H&R/Illumina, set at 3/3. I am used to stiffer suspensions, ie Trans-Am on Eiibach/Koni and Miata on Stock/Koni, so the Maxima setup feels very smooth and comfortable to me.

The H&R/Illumina simply feels like the way the stock setup SHOULD have been done. It is a huge improvement over stock, with none of the negatives (rubbing, scraping, bad on bumps, etc.) that are common to lowered suspensions.

I agree with the comments regarding the "sag to da back" look. However, it stil looks tight to me. See my cardomain page for some close-up before/after pics of the drop to get a better visual.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Got Projectors?

The first time I lowered my car I used Tein S-Tech springs and KYB GR-2 struts. I found myself regretting that suspension choice every day (bouncing like crazy, unpredictability in the way the car responded, no suspension travel, etc.), and shortly went back to stock.

I'm now on Tein H-Tech springs and Tokico Illuminas. They are pretty smooth, but definitely not a stock ride. On a smooth road, you'll be hard pressed to find any difference (none of my passengers can) but on a rough road the bumps will be much harder. You'll find yourself avoiding potholes like the plague as well as uneven road surfaces. With that said though, H-Techs are some of the milder type springs. For our cars (and your application) it would be a 1.6" drop in the front with a 1" drop in the rear. That was perfect for me.

So, do I regret my drop now? With the H-Techs and the adjustability of the Illuminas (a godsend for control/smoothness) - not at all.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
The first time I lowered my car I used Tein S-Tech springs and KYB GR-2 struts. I found myself regretting that suspension choice every day (bouncing like crazy, unpredictability in the way the car responded, no suspension travel, etc.), and shortly went back to stock.

I'm now on Tein H-Tech springs and Tokico Illuminas. They are pretty smooth, but definitely not a stock ride. On a smooth road, you'll be hard pressed to find any difference (none of my passengers can) but on a rough road the bumps will be much harder. You'll find yourself avoiding potholes like the plague as well as uneven road surfaces. With that said though, H-Techs are some of the milder type springs. For our cars (and your application) it would be a 1.6" drop in the front with a 1" drop in the rear. That was perfect for me.

So, do I regret my drop now? With the H-Techs and the adjustability of the Illuminas (a godsend for control/smoothness) - not at all.
It's good to hear from a picky driver. Lots of people on the org have gotten the Stechs and said they were the best springs evar. I was riding beside a buddy of mine with Stechs. He was bouncing all over the place, inside the car. Yes his car was low and yes it looked badazz, but it also looked very painful.

BTW Meta, do you have any side profile pictures of the car? I would love to see detailed shots of the Htechs.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
It's good to hear from a picky driver. Lots of people on the org have gotten the Stechs and said they were the best springs evar. I was riding beside a buddy of mine with Stechs. He was bouncing all over the place, inside the car. Yes his car was low and yes it looked badazz, but it also looked very painful.

BTW Meta, do you have any side profile pictures of the car? I would love to see detailed shots of the Htechs.
Yes, I'm very picky. I was one of those unfortunate people who got swept away by the "S-tech is the greatest, smoothest riding spring ever!" fad nonsense that swept through here 1-2 years ago. As you can tell, I'm still bitter about it. LOL

As for side profile pics, I found a couple lurking on my HD, go to:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/330729/2
Old 02-21-2005, 09:44 AM

thanks...that is the kind of info i am looking for. keep it comming.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Yes, I'm very picky. I was one of those unfortunate people who got swept away by the "S-tech is the greatest, smoothest riding spring ever!" fad nonsense that swept through here 1-2 years ago. As you can tell, I'm still bitter about it. LOL

As for side profile pics, I found a couple lurking on my HD, go to:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/330729/2
PM sent
Old 02-24-2005, 07:00 AM

H-techs and Illuminas are on their way. Was kinda torn between the H&Rs and the H-techs. The only thing I didn't care for on the H&Rs is that it still has that sort of saggy a$$ look. What it came down to is that I found a great deal on a very slightly used set with Illuminas hear on the org. Can let you know in a couple weeks what my impressions are.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 PM

thanks. i am leaning towards the H-techs. the saggy butt thing isn't going for me, but i guess i can always sell em if i am not happy.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm glad I read this post. Now I see that there are truly some people here who feel the same as me about the S-tech springs. I had mine for about 3 months before I came over here to Iraq and I hated them. To be honest, I hate both Eibach's and the Tein's or just the lowered feeling all together. If it wasn't for the huge wheel gap that you get with the stock springs, I would raise it back up. Call me old, but the bumps, pot holes and such is beginning to get on my last nerve. Anyway, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in this thread. Thanks for listening.....peace.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:28 PM

love my h-tech's, as far as the sagging rear its very minimal but i notice it all the time, the ride is awsome. I have only one wish the front needs to come down 1/4 of an inch and it would be perfect!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Your ride will be super harsh w/ S-Techs. It doesn't matter what kind of struts you have. I would recommend H&R or H-Techs since you live in NY area. My car feels like it's falling appart when I hit bumps or potholes.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1BADMAX
I'm glad I read this post. Now I see that there are truly some people here who feel the same as me about the S-tech springs. I had mine for about 3 months before I came over here to Iraq and I hated them. To be honest, I hate both Eibach's and the Tein's or just the lowered feeling all together. If it wasn't for the huge wheel gap that you get with the stock springs, I would raise it back up. Call me old, but the bumps, pot holes and such is beginning to get on my last nerve. Anyway, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in this thread. Thanks for listening.....peace.
So basically, there is no way to get rid of the wheel gap and, at the same time, have a suspension that doesn't feel like it's making the car fall apart? H&Rs have the saggy a*s, S-Techs are too low/very rough on the car, Eibachs also very rough on the car, and now I hear H-Techs are the same way. How about Progress, anybody mention the comfort level of those yet?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:41 AM

What about H&Rs and Blues? Are the adjustable Illuminas really needed, or is the setting the Blues are on fine for every day driving. I'm doing my suspension mods in the coming months and the cost difference between the Blues and Illuminas is just making me wonder if the Illuminas are worth it. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
...H&Rs have the saggy a*s, S-Techs are too low/very rough on the car, Eibachs also very rough on the car, and now I hear H-Techs are the same way. How about Progress, anybody mention the comfort level of those yet?
H-Techs are nice and smooth. S-Tech are low and harsh. From what I have heard Progress are bouncy.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:58 AM

i was going to purchase a set of progress springs but now i dont know. would people agree that h-tech's are better overall the progress springs?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:07 AM

I have the S-techs with KYB's and it's pretty harsh on bad roads. Not bouncy just rough. I just ordered some Illuminas hoping it will smooth out the ride a little.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:19 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by sublimer
What about H&Rs and Blues? Are the adjustable Illuminas really needed, or is the setting the Blues are on fine for every day driving. I'm doing my suspension mods in the coming months and the cost difference between the Blues and Illuminas is just making me wonder if the Illuminas are worth it. Thanks.
I'm running blues right now w/ my S-Techs. Reason is because even w/ the softest setting on Illuminas, blues were still softer. Ride is little bouncy though.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:22 AM

i've heard the s-techs were bouncy...prob gonna stay away from them. thanks
Old 02-25-2005, 11:33 AM

anyone in Jersey that has the H-techs installed? want to check out the ride in person
Old 02-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

I would look at the H-techs. I don't knwo for sure abotu 5th gens, but I had numerous setups on my 4th gen (3 different sets of springs; 3 different sets of struts- all interchanged at different times), and the Tein H with the Illuminas were hands-down th ebest ride, handling, and look.

If you have a 5MT or 6MT, th efront end will ride higher on any spring than it would with an auto due to the weight differences. That is why we are going to shy away from H&Rs for the 00. If we DO get H&Rs, it wil be only the front ones installed.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:44 PM

Looking at my car as it sits with the maxspeeds, the *** sits lower anyway, so either choice wouldn't be drastically different appearance wise, but the ride is the biggest change i am looking for.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Kevin,
There is guy down in Ocean county. is name is Harvey (Hct67)
he is really cool an I am sure he would let youcheck out his ride.
I too want H-techs and after talikng to him thats the way I am gonna go.

Here is a link w/ his post and sig.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....4&page=4&pp=30
Old 03-14-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ecko51
Kevin,
There is guy down in Ocean county. is name is Harvey (Hct67)
he is really cool an I am sure he would let youcheck out his ride.
I too want H-techs and after talikng to him thats the way I am gonna go.

Here is a link w/ his post and sig.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....4&page=4&pp=30

cool, I'mm gonna get in touch with him.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:57 PM

i have been doing some research and compiling info from several manufacturers on their spring designs, and spring rates and the overall package when it comes to suspension designs...so much is subjective, so i am taking into account the subjective and the hard numbers to compile my "report". vogtland seems to be another alternative i had not given a look at before, so i am excited to get the last couple companies info and input, and that of everyone here. keep your eyes out for that thread. thanks for everyone's input...keep it comming.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by IWNTMORHP!!
i have been doing some research and compiling info from several manufacturers on their spring designs, and spring rates and the overall package when it comes to suspension designs...so much is subjective, so i am taking into account the subjective and the hard numbers to compile my "report". vogtland seems to be another alternative i had not given a look at before, so i am excited to get the last couple companies info and input, and that of everyone here. keep your eyes out for that thread. thanks for everyone's input...keep it comming.

good stuff, you got the spring rates for stock springs? jsut so we have a baseline.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Seoul Man

I'm ordering H-Techs instead of the H&Rs. I really do believe that the H&R springs are great (they have a VERY high satisfaction rating around here), but the only thing that prevents me from buying them is the cosmetic factor. I can't believe that I'm letting looks get in the way of performance/quality, but the H-Techs offer a more attractive looking drop, and they aren't a bad choice based on the testimony of H-Tech owners here on the Org, so I'm ordering a set within the next few weeks.

As for dampers, I want the Illuminas, but I may have an irresistible deal on the Tokico HPs from a local seller, so we'll see what happens.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
good stuff, you got the spring rates for stock springs? jsut so we have a baseline.
no...no one can give me the factory spec se or gle springs. anyone got the info, cough it up!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:31 AM

I have H-Techs, the drop is very nice. The wheel gap in the front is gone and it doesnt look slammed. Ride feels pretty good until you find a good bump.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:54 PM

What kind of struts do you have and do you have pics?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 AM

S-tech 2.2f / 1.6R drop... over a period of time does the *** tend to sag at all giving it a more level appearance??

The lower you are the more your gunna feel the road, thats a given, but with the S-tech just how harsh and bouncy do they tend to be?

Would you recommend Progress over the S-tech in terms of comfort.
**I love the drop of the stechs but im hearing things that will make me regret them... same with the progress but the drops are the lowest of the pack, which would be more worth it??**
Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

You brought a 2+ year old thread back to say something that SHOULD have been said here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=281194

Contrats on two (that I've seen today) pointless posts so far today.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:23 PM

whats the big deal? atleast he didnt make a new thread about a topic that has been beaten to death...

I have something to add to the topic...I have htechs in the front and h&rs in the rear. I mixed it up to get the even stance b/c we all know H&R does not drop the front enough. After 8 months of driving w/ this setup, I decided to put the H&Rs back up front. Lots of people here say htechs are a good compromise between looks and comfort but its still a bumpy and harsh ride here in NYC. I even have illuminas set on 2 all around.

So yea...going back to H&Rs in the front...I would rather have comfort
Old 06-28-2007, 09:00 PM

i dont understand what the problem is with the max and springs. ive talked to a couple people with different cars, m45, s2k, is300, evo8 allrunning s-techs they love them lokks and they are getting a comfy ride.i also talked to others with eibachs and other types of springs and nobody seems to be haveing the difficulty we are finding a spring with a decent level drop with good ride whats the deal??????
Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM

i ve tryed k-sports maxspeeds eibachs s-techs and just orderd h&rs,allwith illuminas. hopefully i can get some sort of comprimise. i mean i love my car but the suspension deal is bugging the hell outta me.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

i ordered H&R's myself w/ Illuminas

Quick Reply: those w h&r or tein h/s tech w/illuminas