5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

might buy a 5th gen. looking for opinions and advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 05:04 PM

might buy a 5th gen. looking for opinions and advice

ok, heres the deal: I have previously owned 2 modded 4th gens. I am a big maxima fan, but at my rather young age (19 years old) I wanted a car that has some more agressiveness and spirit to it. I bought a WRX. This car more than fulfills my need for performance. It handles well, has no trouble plowing through the rough chicago winters and last time I was at the track I pulled off a 13.3 with less than $1k in mods.
BUT, after driving around my wrx for almost a year I have become very tiresome of the lack of refinement, the crappy feeling transmission and VERY crappy feeling clutch. I am now lusting for a car that offers sport, but ALSO a good amount of luxury/refinement. This puts me looking at a 2k2/2k3 maxima.
also, my wrx is getting ~17mpg and is stick shift. I live in the suburbs of Chicago, but will transfering colleges next year into the heart of the city. A manual transmission, particularly one as fiesty as the wrx's would be literally hell in the city. I am just accustomed to a manual trans, and the power and performance of my modded wrx (both speed and handling).

so to get to the point, I think I would be looking more at an auto 2k2 than a 6spd because of the fact I will be doing heavy city driving. so now that you know the story here are the questions.........

1) given my situation, do you guys think that this switch of cars is a logical and smart move?

2) Can a 2k2 auto still be fun? I had an auto 97' SE with a fair amount of mods, but it was not nearly as inspiring as a manual would be.

3) Is it possible to run low 14's with 100mph+ traps with a 2k2 auto with basic mods (intake, Ypipe, catback, pulley)? I know these mods shaved more than half a second off of my 97' just wondering if I can expect low 14's on this setup in a 2k2 auto SE.

4) suspension is my biggest thing. I dont expect the car to hug the road like my wrx, but I would like something that can turn hard and be "fairly" nimble. The SE suspension on the 2k2 is decent, but does not inspire as much as I would like. With basic suspension mods such as RSB, FSTB, springs, and some KYB adjustable's can I expect an auto 2k2 to handle well compared to many other sport sedans.

**cliffnotes** I own a modded wrx and its fun as hell but I want something more refined and smoother trans. I am moving into the heart of downtown Chicago, so an automatic would probably be best. I am used to a manual trans, but can I expect a 2k2 auto to perform well and in a "sport sedan" manner with basic suspension and exhaust mods? I am talking low 14's with around 100mph traps and a nice tight suspension.

sorry for the long post, I just want to be prepared and get everything straight before I set my mind on purchasing a maxima soon.
-Thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 05:46 PM
99 SE-L

Hey i have a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE Auto, Its a great car the power is great the only reson why a manual would be better is becuase its more funner, auto seems to bore me ,2K2 Auto with intake/exhaust/ypipe/Headers should run mid 14's easilly. Also i reccomend you to change the suspension right away the body roll is enormous and ridicoulous. Just my 0.2 cents

Old 03-06-2005, 05:53 PM

I assume since your 19 and have owned 2 4th gens and a WRX that you have some dough to play with. I say go for a G35.

That being said, IMO a maxima is one of the best sport sedans ever. There is plenty of aftermarket support, and theyve got an engine that has been rated #1 for years.

1) As nice as a WRX is, its always seemed like Subaru built the motor, then threw together the rest of the car, whereas maximas have the best of both worlds, an awesome motor, nice interior, sport but luxury, etc.
2) I have never driven anything but stick. Same with my parents. So "Can an auto still be fun" is a tough one. Its gonna probably seem boring as hell, but necessary. Trust me, my brother lives in San Fran, had a 5 spd when moved out there, has an auto now. Do I need to say more?
3)Yes, thats very possible. High 13s is even possible with the right setup, and SR20DEN on here has dipped into high 12s@108 NA in a 2002, but thats without a/c, with power steering bypassed, and a ton of mods etc.
4)I think you can make it be very nimble especially for a sedan. An RSB, struts, and springs, and youll have a very nice ride.

Good luck
Kevin
Old 03-06-2005, 05:59 PM

1) Yes, upgrading from a WRX to an 02 would be a very logical move if you're in a lot of stop and go traffic and wanting more refinement.

2) Yes, an auto 2k2 is still fun. Although a 6-speed would probably be more fun for some people, the auto suits my driving needs fine. It's also a plus in traffic. However, if you still feel the need to shift your own gears, try finding a 6-speed.

3) With basic mods (headers, exhaust, pulley) I would expect high 13s from an auto.

4) Suspension is the weakest link for the 02 Maxima. With no independent rear susp, the stock form handles like a boat. That can easily be cured with the following: RSB, springs, struts, FSTB, LTB. With these mods, the car can stick to the ground just as well as any other sports car.

With all that being said, the Maxima is a great car and should make you very happy to own one.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:59 PM
attomica

I fairly new to the Maxima (well, I30) world so I can only touch on one of your points with any authority...the move from manual to auto.

I drove a 5-speed Mazda RX-7 for nine years before I got into my auto 2K I30. It was difficult for only a few days, but the virtues of the auto quickly reveal themselves, especially in high-traffic situations. I'd say don't let an auto transmission dissuade you from getting a great car like a Maxima.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:41 PM
drag racing is for wussies

HS headers, CAI, bpipe, UDP, decent set of radials vs OEM Craptenzas- you should be in the high 13s with a automatic 3.5L.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Low 14's are possible, I've seen 13.8 @ 100.xx in an auto
Old 03-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 2002 is an Auto. There are definitely those times when I'm out on the "open road," and I wish I had a manual. But all in all, it's still a really fun car to drive, and the Auto still has plenty o' *****. You won't regret getting the auto when you're driving around Chicago all the time.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:20 PM

if you got the $$$ g35 6mt sedan all the way
Old 03-06-2005, 09:47 PM

thanks for the input guys.

1) I wish I could buy a G35c, lol. I DO NOT have a lot of money, which is one of the reasons I am ditching the wrx. I am a full-time college student working paycheck to pay-check part time to pay for my wrx
I would like the idea of "no payments" but then I would be looking at a 4th gen again, and I would much rather have a 5th gen, especially if I am getting an auto.

2) I know the auto 2k2 is "capable" of low 14's or high 13's but is it "typical"?? I mean, what does the average 2k2 auto with basic bolt on's and a decent driver run?

3) Man, this suspension thing really worries me. I dont want to have to drop $1k just to get the car to handle decently. My mom had a 5th gen GLE and its a boat! I assume the SE suspension considerably better and stiffer though.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

low 14's are typical of a bolt on auto 3.5.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by DTR Maxima
2) I know the auto 2k2 is "capable" of low 14's or high 13's but is it "typical"?? I mean, what does the average 2k2 auto with basic bolt on's and a decent driver run?

3) Man, this suspension thing really worries me. I dont want to have to drop $1k just to get the car to handle decently. My mom had a 5th gen GLE and its a boat! I assume the SE suspension considerably better and stiffer though.
As far as I've seen... auto with all the basic bolt-ons are in the high 13s/low 14s...

As for the suspension... the SE suspension is not great... BUT, I spent less than $400 on my FSTB/RSB/Progress/HP set-up, all used with low mileage from other (reputable) .Org members... just an option for ya... we have a good classifieds section here...
Old 03-06-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
As far as I've seen... auto with all the basic bolt-ons are in the high 13s/low 14s...

As for the suspension... the SE suspension is not great... BUT, I spent less than $400 on my FSTB/RSB/Progress/HP set-up, all used with low mileage from other (reputable) .Org members... just an option for ya... we have a good classifieds section here...
yeah, as I said I have owned 2 modded 4th gens so I know about all the traffic and posts that we get here in the classifieds. I think a used suspension might be a better way to go then if I can find a decent setup for a good price.

how does your max handle now with those suspension mods?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:31 AM

yeah, as I said I have owned 2 modded 4th gens so I know about all the traffic and posts that we get here in the classifieds. I think a used suspension might be a better way to go then if I can find a decent setup for a good price.

Handles great... not like a WRX or Legacy (I test drove the 2005 a week ago, the GT) but its a HUGE improvement over the stock SE suspension. And I forgot to mention that I've found the RSB seller, but haven't gotten the part yet cuz we haven't found the time to meet up, just wanted to say that I got everything for under $400. I'm sure when I install that, it'll be even better.

So anyways, even with just the struts/springs/FSTB it handles much tighter around the twisties and (this could be my imagination) it also feels more solid when I drive it hard on straights too....
Old 03-07-2005, 08:57 AM

my input... the auto is very quick and gets you up to speed reeeaaaallllly fast!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Speaking of the Classifieds... http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=385640