5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HLSD - How much do i need it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 06:20 AM

HLSD - How much do i need it?

Guys,

I apologize in advance for asking something that has probably been discussed over and over and over again. Unfortunately, the search feature has been turned off, so i'm not sure what my options are.

The wife and I are expecting a new additon to the family this fall, and as such, are going to sell her mustang. She'll end up driving my liberty, and I'm most likely looking at picking up a 5.5 Maxima. It seems to be the best mix of performance, comfort, and safety features that i can find for between 15 and 20K. I'll probably be buying either this summer or in October, and am looking for a 2002 - 2003 6MT with leather, etc. My question is this.....i've heard a lot of talk about the LSD on the car. How necessary is it? Should i hold out and only look to buy one with the LSD, or will i have almost as much fun without it. I don't Auto-X or anything, and won't be going to a track. Mostly i want a fast fun daily driver that i can unwind on mountain roads every once in a while.

What are you'alls opinions. Thanks very much....and great forum.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 AM

Its not necessary. You'll still spin a ton if you want to WITH HLSD. The only real difference I can see it making is when you take off in less than ideal conditions and when you want to take off about .01 seconds quicker, kidding, but you get the idea. Even in those situations, you still spin badly with stock rubber (and without it) if you give it a bit too much juice (and in ice, any juice at all in 1st or 2nd) even with HLSD.

If you don't X it or take it to the track, its probably not going to make that much difference in your everyday experience. I wouldn't base my whole car shopping quest on whether or not it had HLSD.

A word of advice... start looking for your car NOW if you intend on buying this summer or even October. It took me 6 months to locate mine and it still wasn't exactly what I wanted (color wasn't my 1st choice). They are slowly but surely coming off lease now but those loaded like you want (6-speed, HLSD, Leather) are going to be few and far between and those that bought them are probably going to keep them... unless they are like you and want a more family oriented car.

Another word of advice... The 6-speed carries a premium. No matter what I've seen on KBB and NADA and even Edmunds, the 6-speed typically brings more at auction than the Auto and is reflected when you go to buy one at a dealership. If you are expecting to get one for 15K in any kind of condition with the options you want, you are probably going to be mistaken. 20K is more in line with what you are after, especially if you go through a dealership, get an extended warranty, and after you pay your taxes / fees for a 6-speed with leather, sunroof, Bose, and HLSD.

GOOD LUCK on your search. I honestly hope you find the car you want quickly. And congratulations on the new addition (the baby!).
Old 03-07-2005, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the response Barc. Sounds like I may not need to worry about HLSD, although if i get it, great.

I am already looking, hence the new membership here and the questions I'm running into. I've found one or two locally for around 19K, but i'd be able and willing to pay cash, so i have a feeling i can get them to drop that some. I've also found a couple private sellers in other parts of the country, but for the right deal, i'm willing to travel to pick up the car, and again, buying cash makes that all the easier. I think $17K would be a great selling number for me, and i'd of course have to add taxes to that.....

I'm not too picky about color, and it seems like most are Gray. white, black or blue, and i'm pretty happy with any of those. I'm more selective about wanting leather (ease of cleaning up) and needing 6MT (won't drive a slushbox).

Thanks for the congratulations too....i'm very excited, and very very nervous all at the same time.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 AM

I could not agree wiht Barc anymore...
I was searching for my car for so long that I ended up taking one without the HLSD and Meridian Pkg... I got a still very sexy black on black titanium edition with leather bose, etc. but i was desparate to get one 6MT... They are tough to find the way you want them... Good luck with your family and the Max is a great choice, I never stop getting comments about how the car looks... I love it.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:58 AM

Jrod,

Do you regeret at all not having hte HLSD, or does it really not affect you much? I may just have to go and drive the one up near me and see what i think (pretty sure it doesn't have HLSD).

Thanks again for the well-wishes.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

I love having the HLSD on my car. Like the other guys said, if you're not gonna be too hard on your car, don't pass up good 6-speed deals looking for it. If you really want it afterwards, you can always add it on later.

I was testing the waters to see what i could sell my car for last week in the classifieds. I lot of people were talking about Blue Book Value and how i was asking too much for my car.

Whatever - find me a loaded 6-speed blk/blk with 14K miles that's gonna sell for much less that $20K, yea right.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've a 6 speed with HLSD (and leather) as well... never driven one w/o so I can't compare... I have 38K miles on it and if ya give me a good offer... I might let ya have it...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:04 PM

What year, what color, what options.......there's another guy in the classifieds selling his up in NOVA as well.

With 38K on it, i'd be willing to take it off your hands for $17K probably, but that's without knowing anything about your specific car. Might go a little higher, maybe a little lower. I've found a couple on autotrader with relatively low mileage (under 40K) for between 15 and 16, but they are a long way away. VA is more palatable to me in GA than Michigan is. Other problem, i can't make the deal for at least another month or so, and probably not for another couple of months (wife doesn't want to give up her convertible during the spring.)

But if the deal is that good, then we might reconsider.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SailRace
What year, what color, what options.......there's another guy in the classifieds selling his up in NOVA as well.
Almost exactly the same as his... Majestic Blue, fully loaded (HLSD, leather, Bose 6 cd, sunroof, heated front seats, steering wheel, etc) w/o navi... Berk intake, Cattman y-pipe, Frankencar cat-back, Tokico HP struts, Progress springs, FSTB, and possibly Stillen RSB soon. Guess its nice for ya to have options...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:38 PM

Well, I guess i'll be keeping you in mind too....

If it's still avaialble in June....well we'll just have to talk, won't we.

Any chance you have any pictures, inside and out? I can PM you my email if you don't have them online somewhere.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SailRace
Well, I guess i'll be keeping you in mind too....

If it's still avaialble in June....well we'll just have to talk, won't we.

Any chance you have any pictures, inside and out? I can PM you my email if you don't have them online somewhere.
Check my homepage.... click on my name and you'll see the shortcut to it... no really detailed pics just yet because I just started to think about selling it if the right deal came along... and if I decide to sell it, it will be in the summer anyways...

We can discuss this more later..... or you can email me at puppetmazta@yahoo.com...
Old 03-07-2005, 02:34 PM
mjg

then again, you can always add the HLSD like roy and I did : ]
Old 03-07-2005, 02:38 PM

How much did that run you to add the LSD? Did you truly notice the improvement, and would you recommend it to someone else?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:43 PM

Puppetmaster, gorgeous....that's all i can say.

If you're thinking later in the summer, and are serious, we may be able to work something out. That would probably be ideal timing for me, and i wouldn't mind a nice leisurely drive from NOVA down to Atlanta in that thing.

I will hold on to your contact and stay in touch regarding the possibility. Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 05:38 PM
mjg

i did the clutch and flywheel at the same time... the part for the HLSD was 400$ from dave b... Then another 200 for a synchro gear and bearing i needed as well

All in all that endeavor cost me about 1300-1400 i forget.

Do i notice a difference? Absolutely, i made a thread about it... for day-to-day driving, mainly in snow, yet for aggressive cornerning and launching the car a bit as well. It will really show itself when i autocross this season hopefully.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:18 PM
drag racing is for wussies

puppet- whatcha thinking of getting when you sell the Max ?

SailRace- welcome to the .Org, Maximas are a blast to drive with a manual- don't give in on a automatic no matter how hard it is to find a manual. HLSD is really nice when driving hard around corners, the inside wheel no longer smokes like crazy but the car powers out of a corner with authority. Its a great feature for people who love to corner- and corner hard. One day I wish to add a Quaiffe to my 5spd.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by mjg
i did the clutch and flywheel at the same time... the part for the HLSD was 400$ from dave b... Then another 200 for a synchro gear and bearing i needed as well

All in all that endeavor cost me about 1300-1400 i forget.

Do i notice a difference? Absolutely, i made a thread about it... for day-to-day driving, mainly in snow, yet for aggressive cornerning and launching the car a bit as well. It will really show itself when i autocross this season hopefully.
Hey mjg,so the hlsd was $400,was the synchro gear and bearing a must needed part?or was that just your replacement?Thanx.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:14 AM

I have no intention of giving in on an auto. I've never driven one, and am not about to start now. When i bought by Jeep Liberty, the salesman offered to drop $3K off an automatic they had on their lot, and i refused....had them special order my renegade with a 5 speed. And wouldn't trade slapping my gears around for anything.

I'll keep searching every which way to find the Max i want.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu neeeeeeeedddd Limmmmmmitttted Sssssliiiiipppppp. j/k SailRace. I agree with most of the comments above and I don't believe that it is a must have. Now, having said that...

Before the HLSD car I have in the classifieds now, I had a 5th gen 5spd with the VQ30, no lsd. When I drove that car hard in turns (say 7/10ths), it would push noticeably. In this HLSD car with more hp/tq, that does not happen until I am driving harder (say 9/10ths). In fact, if you are driving it right, you will feel the HLSD actually pull you around the curve. I know if sounds funny in a FWD car, but if I lift throttle slightly going into the curve, then get back on it at the apex or slightly before, I can feel the car being steered by the LSD and the gas pedal. Doesn't matter what anybody tries to tell me....that is a beautiful thing.

Also, this HLSD does seem to help in inclimate weather. In rain and snow the car is just more planted. But I will repeat, HLSD is not an absolute necessity.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:38 AM

Ripper, great post, thanks. That helps a lot in sorting out my decision. I guess what it comes down to is that i will be looking for the HLSD, but if i can't find it when it comes time to buy, i'll survive without it.

Just gotta keep checking the classifieds.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 AM

Lsd

LSD is great if you drive where is snow and ice. I used to race cars with and without the LSD. There on the race truck you can definitely appreciate the LSD, but on a public road I don’t see much difference. This winter I got stuck several times in a snow drift and there would be no way to get out without the LSD.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:16 PM
southernrednik

i wouldnt buy a 6spd without the HLSD

Old 03-08-2005, 05:29 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Nissan should have never even made it an option. ALL Manual transmitions should have a limited slip differential standard in this day and age!! PERIOD!!! I was sooooo pissed when I found out the origional owner of my car didn't spend the extra $350 to get it factory installed when he checked almost all the other option boxes. A retro fit will cost somewhere between $900-$1500 (at a minimum)to install. Add a HD clutch and Aluminum flywheel and it's another $1000-$1200.
220+lbs/ft torque is waayyyy too much to ask one tire on a front wheel drive car to possibly handle. So, to sum up, if you can find a 6sp with HLSD equiped the way you like it, by all means get it, and don't hesitate, cause they are very few and very far in between.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:53 PM
southernrednik

Originally Posted by Tommy Boy
the extra $350 to get it factory installed when he checked almost all the other option boxes. A retro fit will cost somewhere between $900-$1500:

Originally Posted by Tommy Boy
Add a HD clutch and Aluminum flywheel and it's another $1000-$1200.: