5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cheap, Do-It-Yourself performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cheap, Do-It-Yourself performance upgrades

I just got a 2000 Maxima se and even aside from this problem, the car doesn't seem to be going anywhere all too fast. I had a '91 Acura Legend that (with the max's current performance) would whoop its *ss.

I have a small budget (like $300) I'm willing to put towards any kind of performance upgrades, but don't know what to get, or how to do the upgrades after I do know what to get. I've looked around the Top 5 Upgrades List and other threads on this site, but prices generally aren't given so I have no idea what I can afford, or if I need to save more to get any kind of noticable improvement. If anyone could give a few suggestions as to preferably cheap improvements, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Z

Well first off, fix your power loss problem -- which is most likely your MAF (you listed every issue, but that). And once you get that fixed, you'll feel the car come alive. Your priority should be to replace the MAF and then worry about modding.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:33 PM

So by your Legend comment, I take it when you say "performance" you mean "power"... get a y-pipe for around $160 and that should give ya some nice hp gains... and then with the leftover maybe a rear sway bar to tighten up the handling a little bit, those are usually $125-$160... might cost ya a tad over $300 but look in the 5th Gen Classifieds forum for used parts too.... I got my struts/springs for $265, so there are good deals out there if ya look around and are patient...
Old 03-13-2005, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Well first off, fix your power loss problem -- which is most likely your MAF (you listed every issue, but that). And once you get that fixed, you'll feel the car come alive. Your priority should be to replace the MAF and then worry about modding.
Yeah, that too...
Old 03-13-2005, 10:22 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Get a new MAF, I have a 91 Legend also which is in TOP shape, I'm the 2nd owner, every service done on time, premium fuel all its life, 124K miles now- and it will no way ever keep up with my 01 Max. Not to say the Legend is slow, but comparing it to my Max is like comparing a 90 Max to a 02 6spd Max.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:32 PM

I've seen multiple posts/threads(outside of this one) saying "clean the throttle body" and that the replacement of the MAF sensor can be done yourself, but I've looked through the how-to's and done site google searches and normal google searches but have not been able to find how to do either of these things. If some one with the knowledge of how to do either of these, (and preferably pictures to match) or a link of a how-to that would post it would be ..

well ... need I say more?

EDIT: and another note .. I can definitely go past 2500 RPM which seems to be the definite factor in having a bad MAF sensor. Does the 2500 RPM limit not always apply or do I have a different problem?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Anarchist
I've seen multiple posts/threads(outside of this one) saying "clean the throttle body" and that the replacement of the MAF sensor can be done yourself, but I've looked through the how-to's and done site google searches and normal google searches but have not been able to find how to do either of these things. If some one with the knowledge of how to do either of these, (and preferably pictures to match) or a link of a how-to that would post it would be ..

well ... need I say more?

EDIT: and another note .. I can definitely go past 2500 RPM which seems to be the definite factor in having a bad MAF sensor. Does the 2500 RPM limit not always apply or do I have a different problem?
Check out this link:
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/517
Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 PM

arek, Thanks.

Is there anything difficult as to replacing the MAF sensor after the assembly is out or is it self explainatory? (sp?)
Old 03-14-2005, 08:30 PM
retired moderator

look on my website, there are a few cheap things there you can do....
Old 03-14-2005, 08:32 PM

arek, Thanks.

Is there anything difficult as to replacing the MAF sensor after the assembly is out or is it self explainatory? (sp?)
New MAF should get ECU reprogramed by the dealer.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Seoul Man

arek, Thanks.

The MAF sensor itself is housed in a black cylinder just behind the airbox, if I remember correctly. Very easy to find, and not too hard to replace.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Arek
why not just reset it?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Arek
When will people stop paying those high prices at the stealership? The ECU just needs to be reset.

If your light is still on, you can get autozone to do it for free. It's might be a good idea to buy a OBD II scanner and DIY. Might payoff in the long run.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:00 PM

why not just reset it?
Because new MAF are different and ECU have to be reprogrammed to take full advantage of it (same as new rear O2 sensors).