5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 04:13 AM

K&N filter

can anyone tell me the beneffits of having a K&N filter (not drop in just replacement filter for stock box) performance wise?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by DJ2Max
(not drop in just replacement filter for stock box)
The K&N filter that fits in the stock air box and replaces the OEM filter is the same thing as a K&N "drop-in" filter.

You're probably confusing the "drop-in" filter with the K&N cone filters that people attach to their cold air intakes and short ram intakes to replace the entire stock intake and airbox assembly.

The benefits of using the OEM-replacement "drop-in" filter with the stock airbox are minimal. It really does flow better, so you might see some slight power gains, but since you're still using the restrictive stock intake/airbox assembly, you won't see huge gains. I guess that after a long time you might start saving money, since the K&N filter is washable and reusable, but the initial cost of a K&N filter is higher than the cost of a disposable paper filter, so I don't know if that's really a good argument.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to get a K&N filter to replace your stock filter. Just don't expect to see much power gain from it.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by spiromax
I guess that after a long time you might start saving money, since the K&N filter is washable and reusable, but the initial cost of a K&N filter is higher than the cost of a disposable paper filter, so I don't know if that's really a good argument.
I think you're right, that's the only real benefit from a K&N drop-in....
Old 03-14-2005, 11:44 AM

Actually, the K&Ns come with a word of caution for our Maximas with weak MAFs... when ya clean em and re-oil em, be careful not to over-oil the filter because apparently that could possibly lead to MAF problems when excess oil gets sucked in.... its never happened to me, but it seems that others have had this problem.... or at least, the filter oil is the suspected cause, although MAFs have been known to blow even with the OEM paper filters....
Old 03-14-2005, 02:18 PM

i've always used a k&n drop-in filter since i bought my car in 01, but just recently earlier this yr, i had my maf meter (not the actual sensor) go out. of course the dealer/service writer seen it was not an oem air filter and totally put the blame on the k&n filter for my maf meter going out. not covered under warranty, and man i was so piaassed. i argued back and forth with these idiots and they were not havin it. i had to pay $300 for the repair and part. the max always felt better with the k&n in it, but there is really no huge power gain. good luck to all those with k&n drop ins and i hope u dont have to go thru the same thing i had to go thru at the dealer for using an aftermarket air filter. peace
Old 03-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
i've always used a k&n drop-in filter since i bought my car in 01, but just recently earlier this yr, i had my maf meter (not the actual sensor) go out. of course the dealer/service writer seen it was not an oem air filter and totally put the blame on the k&n filter for my maf meter going out. not covered under warranty, and man i was so piaassed. i argued back and forth with these idiots and they were not havin it. i had to pay $300 for the repair and part. the max always felt better with the k&n in it, but there is really no huge power gain. good luck to all those with k&n drop ins and i hope u dont have to go thru the same thing i had to go thru at the dealer for using an aftermarket air filter. peace
I know its already after the fact, but if it happens again, ya should put in the OEM filter before trying to get a warranty repair.... besides, the fact that the K&N filter caused it is debatable... (although probable)... anyways... sorry to hear about the repair costs and the hassle...