5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing tail/brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacing tail/brake lights

I had a few questions about replacing the tail lights on my 2000 maxima... I'm a total idiot when it comes to cars so forgive me.

I was told I had one tail light and one brake light out, each on opposite sides (I can't remember what side was what, though). I checked it out, and the left tail light was out. I replaced that, and it seems to be working fine.

I then propped my brake down with my ice scraper and took a look. This is where I got confused. The middle light above the back seats was illuminated, which I assume means all my brake lights should be on. But both tail light areas had no illumination whatsoever. I turned my headlights on, and both tail lights came on and looked identical. But I don't know what should be illuminated for the brakes versus what should be illuminated for the headlights, so I wasn't sure what to do. And it wasn't obvious to me what bulb was the one for the brake lights.

Can anyone help me to get my brake lights working? There's probably more info here than neccessary, but i thought I'd be thorough.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:17 PM

The brake lights work on dual filament bulbs. This means one filament in the bulb lights up when the light switch is turned on, and the other filament lights up when the brake is applied. Seems to me that both bulbs may need replaced. Also, I would check the fuses.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the info.

just to be clear: if the tail lights come on when i flip the head lights on, but there is no (extra) illumination when I press the brake, does that indicate that there's a problem with the fuses? one of the bulbs is brand new, so I would hope both filaments are working ok on that one... Which I guess indicates something else besides the bulb isn't working?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think I figured out what was going on. It looks like I just had the bulbs in backwards. They appear to snap in all right no matter which way you put them in the socket, but only one orientation will have it working right as both your tail lights and your brake lights. Having it in the wrong way, it works fine for your tail lights, but not as your brake lights. Go figure.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a similar problem.. my taillight doesn't work but when i press my brake light it does work.. So with it being a double filiment bulb, I have to replace that bulb?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, replace the bulbs. Check fuses also. When the headlights are on, there is a dimmer light output than when you brake and the lights are on... I always check to make sure that mine work whenever I am in front of a big window and in front of a big rig at a stop light. Change the bulbs before you get a ticket.