5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ground wire for O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 11:16 AM

Ground wire for O2 Sensor

I had my oil changed today and noticed their is a grounding strap connected to my O2 sensor I believe. Looks like at some point it snagged on something and ripped off. Anyone know how vital this component is? Or where I can buy a replacement universal grounding strap to replace it? Not sure if I'm doing the best job at explaining this, its located about where the rear left passanger seat would be, under the car, in plain site.

Any help would be appreciated, no engine check lights are on or anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:31 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

sounds like the ground strap for the catalytic converter. i have seen a few people posting about theirs getting ripped. i have never seen anyone have a problem like a failing cat so it would be up to you to replace if you wanted. you can get them in various sizes from just about any auto parts store.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:08 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by sloppymax
sounds like the ground strap for the catalytic converter. i have seen a few people posting about theirs getting ripped. i have never seen anyone have a problem like a failing cat so it would be up to you to replace if you wanted. you can get them in various sizes from just about any auto parts store.
That sounds right, Catalytic converter. I dont know what purpose the ground strap serves so I'm just not going to worry about it for now. I'm replacing my brakes once the weather gets better and I have my car jacked up I may replace it.

Thanks again,