5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 03:54 PM
MaximaGirl

Fuel Filter

I have a 2003 SE Max. Does she have a fuel filter? Need to get the 30K miles maintanence. Service people gave me a quote listing all the things they would do. I compared it to the service guide that came with the Max's handbook and it doesn't say anything about replacing a fuel filter. Just wanted to check with you guys first. I didn't want to give them an extra $100.00 if I didn't have to. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MaximaGirl
I have a 2003 SE Max. Does she have a fuel filter? Need to get the 30K miles maintanence. Service people gave me a quote listing all the things they would do. I compared it to the service guide that came with the Max's handbook and it doesn't say anything about replacing a fuel filter. Just wanted to check with you guys first. I didn't want to give them an extra $100.00 if I didn't have to. Thanks in advance.
according to nissan - there is not a filter. they use a "fuel strainer" that is part of the sending unit in the gas tank. according to nissan they dont have to be replaced
Old 03-17-2005, 04:00 PM
MaximaGirl

Thanks Soonerfan! I kinda had that feeling that it didn't need to be replaced.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Cletus

Thanks Soonerfan! I kinda had that feeling that it didn't need to be replaced.
youre welcome

and that name is gonna get you in trouble around here. im a gentlemen so you dont have to worry about me.

let the madness begin
Old 03-17-2005, 04:23 PM
MaximaGirl

Originally Posted by soonerfan
youre welcome

and that name is gonna get you in trouble around here. im a gentlemen so you dont have to worry about me.

let the madness begin

Actually, I was hoping the name would gain me some gentleness when I ask stupid questions like this fuel filter question. At least I knew enough to think that replacing a fuel filter/strainer on the Max sounded fishy.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Cletus

Actually, I was hoping the name would gain me some gentleness when I ask stupid questions like this fuel filter question. At least I knew enough to think that replacing a fuel filter/strainer on the Max sounded fishy.
you will get some help...but alot more harassment from boys who think this is a dating service. not many ladies on here so when there is one it gets ugly quick. just warning you.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Banned

haha...maybe she should incldude a pic of herself on her signature...wth the car of course! nothing hotter than that
Old 03-17-2005, 04:30 PM
MaximaGirl

you will get some help...but alot more harassment from boys who think this is a dating service. not many ladies on here so when there is one it gets ugly quick. just warning you.
Thanks, I appreciate the warning. I'm generally a reader not a poster, I try to lay low but at the same time get the info I need.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A girl that drives a Max and knows more than where the key goes... that's so cool. My respect.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
haha...maybe she should incldude a pic of herself on her signature...wth the car of course! nothing hotter than that
see what i told you
Old 03-17-2005, 04:35 PM
MaximaGirl

Well, if I post a picture of myself, this will quickly turn into the MaximaGirl site and I won't have a place to find the info I need, like the fuel filter question.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Cletus

Well, if I post a picture of myself, this will quickly turn into the MaximaGirl site and I won't have a place to find the info I need, like the fuel filter question.
you can just email it to certain people (like those that answer your questions )
Old 03-17-2005, 04:37 PM
MaximaGirl

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
A girl that drives a Max and knows more than where the key goes... that's so cool. My respect.

Yep, yep, I know more than where the key goes. I used to inspect crashed cars for a law firm. I obviously don't know enough since I was asking the fuel filter question.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:39 PM
MaximaGirl

you can just email it to certain people (like those that answer your questions )
MAYBE, one day if I ever don't have the Max anymore and if I can risk this site turning in the MaximaGirl.org site, then I'll consider it.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

well i guess i will state my experience. there is a fuel filter but it is in the tank. it does get gunked up just like every other fuel filter out there. there is nothing special about it. anyone that disagrees has not pulled theirs after 50k miles. if you call up dave b, he can get you the fuel filter and o ring for a very reasonable price. it is a filter just like any other that needs replacement. nissan also recommends keeping the plugs in for 100k but unless you are cheap or just dont care then why not. my fuel filter was caked in sediment at only 50k and i use 93 brand name gas. everyone that has replaced it has seen the benefit of having a new fuel filter. it is slightly more labor intensive but if you have enough miles then it is well worth it.
look on any nissan parts website and they call it a fuel filter. of course they recommend not changing it any interval due to location or is it because they were worried some their techs might not be able to handle it.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:41 PM
+Cru OG

MAYBE, one day if I ever don't have the Max anymore and if I can risk this site turning in the MaximaGirl.org site, then I'll consider it.
I'm going to drive around Raleigh now to snap a few pictures and circulate it on the .org. Blue SE...not many of those in The Big Acorn
Old 03-17-2005, 05:50 PM
MaximaGirl

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
I'm going to drive around Raleigh now to snap a few pictures and circulate it on the .org. Blue SE...not many of those in The Big Acorn
I've seen quite a few Maximas in Raleigh but none that are blue like mine so your task might be more difficult than you think, unless...its my Max that you actually get a pic of. Never been to Sanford but I know its not far.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:12 PM
+Cru OG

I've seen quite a few Maximas in Raleigh but none that are blue like mine so your task might be more difficult than you think, unless...its my Max that you actually get a pic of. Never been to Sanford but I know its not far.
I've always loved a challenge. Don't be suprised if another blue Max tails you.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
well i guess i will state my experience. there is a fuel filter but it is in the tank. it does get gunked up just like every other fuel filter out there. there is nothing special about it. anyone that disagrees has not pulled theirs after 50k miles. if you call up dave b, he can get you the fuel filter and o ring for a very reasonable price. it is a filter just like any other that needs replacement. nissan also recommends keeping the plugs in for 100k but unless you are cheap or just dont care then why not. my fuel filter was caked in sediment at only 50k and i use 93 brand name gas. everyone that has replaced it has seen the benefit of having a new fuel filter. it is slightly more labor intensive but if you have enough miles then it is well worth it.
+1 called Dave B a few days ago and ordered a bunch of 60k service stuff I needed, talked with him about this exact issue and he said the same thing. So I went ahead and ordered it and the o ring, just gotta find a local orger to help me install it. Good to hear other validating opinions though.

Kevin
Old 03-18-2005, 02:55 AM

Its really not too difficult, but you need to be careful and know what you're doing. Spirilis has a a really good write up somewhere. Im sure someone with access to the search function can find it for you.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:44 AM

excellent, thanks aussie, ill get a donater i know to do it...
nice car by the way (2k sunlit gxe), same here

Kevin
Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

definetely make sure to have less than a 1/4 tank either when you attempt or you drop it off at the dealer.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the tips, keep em comin if you guys have any more.

-kevin
Old 03-18-2005, 06:17 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

oh yeah, relieve fuel pressure. i use the method of pulling the fuel pump fuse and running the car til it dies then i crank it up once more.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:29 AM

according to nissan - there is not a filter. they use a "fuel strainer" that is part of the sending unit in the gas tank. according to nissan they dont have to be replaced
Incorrect! According to internal memo sent out to Nissan dealers, this fuel strainer should be part of 105k maintenance together with plugs.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by schernov
Incorrect! According to internal memo sent out to Nissan dealers, this fuel strainer should be part of 105k maintenance together with plugs.
prove it. i personally know the service manager at 2 dealerships
Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 AM

That's what my s/m told me - that they got a fax there.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:03 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

prove it. i personally know the service manager at 2 dealerships
i know the owner of the largest dealer in charlotte, who cares. go to courtesyparts.com and look under maintenance. i do not understand why anyone feels that just because it is in a different location that it would operate any differently. a fuel filter will get clogged over time, plain and simple. the gas that goes in your car is not absolutely pure and when you let the gas get very low, all the junk that floats on top is going to go to one place; the fuel filter.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Banned

i know the owner of the largest dealer in charlotte, who cares. go to courtesyparts.com and look under maintenance. i do not understand why anyone feels that just because it is in a different location that it would operate any differently. a fuel filter will get clogged over time, plain and simple. the gas that goes in your car is not absolutely pure and when you let the gas get very low, all the junk that floats on top is going to go to one place; the fuel filter.
...In Maryland, we have absolutly pure gas. In fact, we have no litter, crime, or bad coil packs either (except for PG county...)...

Maximachickybaby: whatcha doin' later? Wanna come over for pizza and a movie? j/k
Old 03-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Cletus

i was quoting nissan who says "they dont need to be replaced"
soonerfan's opinion - it needs to be replaced. if something is intended to filter something the where does everything go thats filtered? its in the filter
Old 03-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by GBAUER
.Maximachickybaby: whatcha doin' later? Wanna come over for pizza and a movie? j/k
george, you are to late. she already has plans later
Old 03-18-2005, 12:24 PM

A girl with a Max is hot but a girl with a Max and a G is hotter!!!

J/k guys but give her a break and be nice if you want her to stick around. Guys were jerks with me too and that's why I stopped posting a while ago.

Back on topic....
Old 03-18-2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle

J/k guys but give her a break and be nice if you want her to stick around. Guys were jerks with me too and that's why I stopped posting a while ago.

Back on topic....
i was always nice to you
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Cletus

Back on topic....
you can join me and maximagirl later
im kidding...unless you really wanna...no, im really kidding
ive always been nice to you.
i agree that most times ladies are not treated very well on here. for all of us men..im sorry
Old 03-18-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
i was always nice to you
You and soonerfan are 2 of the few people that were actually nice even though my Max is BONE STOCK, that doesn't get you any respect on the org whether you're a guy or a girl.

you can join me and maximagirl later
im kidding...unless you really wanna...no, im really kidding
ive always been nice to you.
i agree that most times ladies are not treated very well on here. for all of us men..im sorry
Funny thing is, even guys on the G35 forums act the same way. This one chick posted a pic with her G and boy did they harass the living hell out of her. Luckily I know my stuff about cars so that doesn't fly with me.

Ohhh and yeah, thanks for the offer haha, but I thought the org isn't a dating service.. lol they should open a personals section.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:52 PM

congrats on the G tho, definitley a step up in the right direction i had no idea you were planning on getting another car.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Cletus

You and soonerfan are 2 of the few people that were actually nice even though my Max is BONE STOCK, that doesn't get you any respect on the org whether you're a guy or a girl.

Funny thing is, even guys on the G35 forums act the same way. This one chick posted a pic with her G and boy did they harass the living hell out of her. Luckily I know my stuff about cars so that doesn't fly with me.

Ohhh and yeah, thanks for the offer haha, but I thought the org isn't a dating service.. lol they should open a personals section.
when did you get the G?..now i have to admit, THAT IS HOT
personals section wouldnt be pretty...a thousand guys fighting over 10 girls. ok it would be good for you all...you could have your pick
Old 03-18-2005, 01:06 PM

back on topic.... anyone know the part number for a 2000 fuel filter?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:16 PM
MaximaGirl

Originally Posted by GBAUER
...Maximachickybaby: whatcha doin' later? Wanna come over for pizza and a movie? j/k
How about I stop by later and give you some of this.....

Old 03-18-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
congrats on the G tho, definitley a step up in the right direction i had no idea you were planning on getting another car.
Thanks KC, weren't you looking to get a G too at some point? I always wanted a G, even though just like you I was planning on just getting a 5.5 gen. But then I decided that the difference wasn't worth it to me so I kept my Max. It's amazing how many people from the org have stepped up to a G lately.

when did you get the G?..now i have to admit, THAT IS HOT
personals section wouldnt be pretty...a thousand guys fighting over 10 girls. ok it would be good for you all...you could have your pick
I got it just a few weeks ago. It's so amazing, just looking at it makes me wonder why I ever even thought about dumping money into my Maxima.

Actually the personals thing is not a bad idea, another reason for you guys to compete and mod some more

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter