5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

60k Miles service ... flush or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

60k Miles service ... flush or not?

I am close to 60k miles on my 2003 Maxima SE Auto.
I did a complete AT flush and AT fluid drain at 30k miles.
I have not replaced the coolant since new.

Now, at 60k miles, i was wondering if i should pay extra $100 for an AT flush or should i just go with a quick AT fluid drain and refill?
The dealer insists that i should do the AT flush but this will cost me a total of $180. A simple "express" drain and refill is only $70-75. Btw, i drive mostly highway.

I am planing to do coolant drain/refill as well. The dealer keeps pushing for coolant flush as well and of course i should be paying him an extra $90 for it. Should i really do the cooling system flush at 60k?

I am not trying to be cheap here but can i really trust the Nissan dealer??
I don't want to do something that is not necessary and pay $200 extra for it. My car still feels, drives and looks new. I don't abuse it and i service it every 30k miles. I do all oil (synthec) changes and filter replacements myself following the owners manual. It has full extended Gold warranty until 100k miles and i don't plan to keep it for more than another 3 years.

Let me know what YOU would do.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:01 PM

A drain and refill will only get 4-5 quarts out of the 10-12 quarts in your transmission. I would recommend the flush. I believe the trans and radiator are recommended every 30k, so I would if I were you.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sterling2000
A drain and refill will only get 4-5 quarts out of the 10-12 quarts in your transmission. I would recommend the flush. I believe the trans and radiator are recommended every 30k, so I would if I were you.
Wow...i wasn't aware that the AT holds 10-12 quarts of AT fluid.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Flush it with Synthetic ATF such as Amsoil and you don't have to worry about doing it again for another 60000 miles.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:47 AM

Do NOT flush your transmission. I have seen to many trannys go bad shortly after a flush. There are too many pressure sensative items in a transmission to be flushing fluid threw it at above spec pressures. Also, you don't get a new filter. I suggest dropping the pan, changing the filter and replacing the 4 quarts of fluid. Just my .02
Old 03-22-2005, 07:58 AM
scopium

no need for tranny flush.. the oil doesnt go bad that quick.. and u can drive up to 100k without a flush..
but radiator flush is necessary..

Old 03-22-2005, 08:15 AM

how about do a AT-flush by yourself? I had my At flushed by dealer, but after that my tranny start to slip when cold. I think the at-flush method provides by the org member is less harmful than the power flush by dealer.
If you still want to have a at-flush by dealer, you can go to nissan website to get some coupon.
Check service offer, you will find something like http://www.nissanusa.com/m/coupons/2...Detroit_S3.pdf.
I believe you may also find the coupon for the radiator flush.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Banned

Flush it. I hesitated and it ended up costing me a tranny on my '03. Tranny went at 103k. (ya, I drive a lot)
Old 03-22-2005, 08:41 AM

Don't get the stealership to do the radiator flush. Take it to a radiator shop. I did that last year and paid the guy Cdn$40 cash to pressure test the cooling system, flush the radiator, backflush the system and add antifreeze. Nissan wanted almost 3 times that including tax. The rad should be flushed every 2 years or 30,000 miles according to Haynes but i believe you can go longer before the initial flush. There is no question that at 60K it should be done. Antifreeze breaks down in 2 years or so. A simple test in future when in doubt is to take the car back to the radiator shop and get them to test the pH of the coolant with a piece of paper they use.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

GBAUER< did they install everything nicely? Are you planning onm getting a VB mod now?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Since you are already doing your own oil change, you can do the ATF drain and fill, too. If you drain/fill 4 Qts every 15KM, I don't think a flush is ever needed. As far as dropping the pan, 60KM is too early. I dropped and cleaned the pan at 110KM, and it was very clean.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by UncleMax98
Since you are already doing your own oil change, you can do the ATF drain and fill, too. If you drain/fill 4 Qts every 15KM, I don't think a flush is ever needed. As far as dropping the pan, 60KM is too early. I dropped and cleaned the pan at 110KM, and it was very clean.
Really? Is it as easy do drain and refill the AT as changing the Engine oil? I didn't know that.

If i get 4qts out by using a traditional "drain", i am guessing that the fresh fluid i am going to put in should be exactly the same kind/type. IN other words....when i did my 30k flush/refill thery used OEM Nissan AT fluid. Should i now stick to Nissan OEM and add 4qts of it or can i go to 4qts of Mobil 1 Synthec ATF or Amsoil ATF? Mixing may not be a good idea....or is it? What do you think?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 PM

I run a lube center in dallas and we have never had a problem with a T-Tech flush with the exception of 1 Honda Civic with 220k miles. In an ideal world you would do a pan service as well as a flush to get everything taken care of. A flush is not meant to replace changing the filter, it is simply meant to extend the interval between pan services.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:26 PM
99 SE-L

I'd go to the Dealership to flush the tranny ,becuase they warranty there work therefore,your tranny starts malfunctioning they will replace it.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

follow my Sig link and save some money... have fun doing it...
Old 03-22-2005, 05:35 PM

if I was u I would do the coolant--its good maintance-- as for the flush--yeah its its good for ur car cuz it gets all the old fluid out-where as the drain and refill does not due to the fluid in the torque converter. then u wear the new fluid out faster

I have a man tranny so I would just drain and refill
Old 03-22-2005, 06:25 PM

BTW Shop around because we do the flush and the trans pan/filter for $129.99 and a coolant flush for $59.99 and our work does meet all warranty requirements for both OEM and aftermarket warranties. I'm sure there is a reputable shop around you that can do the same.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 AM

I think it would be safer to stay with Nissan fluid. Drain/fill ATF is actually easier than changing engine oil. Just make sure to put in the same amount as drained out. It is not always 4 QT. One time I got 5 1/2 QT. out after draining for 30 minutes.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 AM

Get a radiator shop to do the rad and a transmission shop to do the flush. Don't drain and fill the tranny. This will pay dividends down the road if you plan on keeping the vehicle.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:26 AM

DO NOT pay a stealership to do standard maintenance on your car.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:32 AM

Thank you all

Thank you ALL for your replies and help.

I think that this time, it would be best, if i take the car the NIssan dealer and pay him to do the AT flush + Coolant flush. 60k miles is a MAJOR service and i'll make sure i have everything done and documented by the dealer. Sure, i'll pay them extra $$$ but this will be the last time. I am trying to get a hold of some nice dealer coupons. They may save me some $. I check local independet shops, but the best i got was $140 for the AT flush + $120 for the coolant flush. Its not much cheaper than the dealer. Nissan wins this time.
Next time, i'll do the AT myself, in my own garage. I would enjoy it.
Currently i can afford to pay the dealer and honestly i'm too busy with work to do the flush myself. Plus....here it comes...i am planning to replace the spark plugs on my own, next weekend + front brakes/rotors + all filters. You can see that i have planty of projects waiting for me. I'll leave the AT to the pros.

Btw....anyone have the link to the 5.5 Gen Spark plugs replacement write up?? I need it. I am NOT paying the dealer $200+ to replace 6 sparks.

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:46 AM

What you are saying makes absolutely no sense. I don't believe you can't get the rad and tranny flushed for less than that. Are there no radiator shops in California? The same goes for transmission shops or all-service shops whose charge out rate is 60% or so of the stealership.

How can you not be worried about the warranty implications of doing brake work, changing all filters and plugs, yet at the same time be concerned about flushing a rad and tranny at the stealership, WTF?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Your warranty is not voided if you do the work elsewhere...even in your own garage.

Grease Monkey here in town (Colorado Springs) has a coolant flush special for $60...getting it done tomorrow.

I have never had any maintenance work done at the dealership on any car I've owned...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
What you are saying makes absolutely no sense. I don't believe you can't get the rad and tranny flushed for less than that. Are there no radiator shops in California? The same goes for transmission shops or all-service shops whose charge out rate is 60% or so of the stealership.

How can you not be worried about the warranty implications of doing brake work, changing all filters and plugs, yet at the same time be concerned about flushing a rad and tranny at the stealership, WTF?

There are hundreds of radiator and transmission shops in my area....more than you can imagine. As a matter of fact, there are three of them across the street from my work place. Now the question is...which one do you trust? All of them claim to be "good"...but i don't trust someone just based on what his business card says. You want to know why? here....
=> One of the "reputable" shops accross the street managed to destroy, i repeat, destroy the engine of my boss' 2002 Jaguar XJR. Don't ask me how....he is stulll trying to take them to court.
=> My friend took his 2001 Audi S4 to an "independent" german auto shop for a radiator flush (to save some money on 60k miles service) and 3 days later his radiator was leaking. Shop took zero responsibility for it and my buddy paid the new bill.
=> The auto tranny on my father's car is still leaking after 11 months and 6 visits to the Tranny shop who did a AT rebuilt for him....cheaper than the dealer.
Any more examples needed???

I will NOT pick some radiator or tranny shop just like that. There are so many crooks around here - you have no idea. If i knew a good, honest, cheap place in my area - i would go there right away, no doubbt. But i don't. The only independent, cheaper place that i like to take my car to is charging me only $20 less for the same exact job. No point to bother.
I am used to do all the maintenance work on my cars myself. I've worked on many older cars, mostly German. Things have changed lately....i drive a newer car, i work a lot more, etc...

When i mentioned the warranty subject, i meant that IF the dealer manages to screw up my tranny or radiator during the service, i still have the GOLD Nissan warranty to go back to them and ask for new parts/labor and there will be NO questions asked about maintenance. Makes it easy - no arguments from them. Plus, the dealer, being a Nissan operated establishment should know a little more about our cars than some Joe Shmo accross the street.

Ideally, i would do everything on my own and save some money. But I do not have the time to flush the AT and the coolant, that's why a mechanic will do the job. I'll do the the spark plugs and the brakes and the filters myself and YES, i know that my warranty will not be void. All i am doing is splitting the work and balancing between saving me some money and doing the right thing for my car. That's why i posted here.

So, rmurdoch, are you still confused about my "crazy" reasoning?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:52 PM

No, I'm not confused. It's just where I'm from there are shops that are honest and reliable and will work on your car and treat it as if its their own and they are a dime a dozen. The worst experience I have had is at the stealership. Good luck? Is it the same thing hiring a tradesman, plumber, electrician, carpet cleaner, furnace repairman, etc? If so, I'd move.