5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intake Installation on 2K SE. Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Intake Installation on 2K SE. Questions.

Last night I installed an Injen Cold Air intake on my 5-Speed Maxima SE. I am new here and need some help.

After everything was installed, I started the car with no problems, but it is hesitating at fast acceleration. I am not sure if this is because I disconnected the battery when removing the white air resonator and now the computer is recalibrating. I have only gotten to put 30 miles on the cars since installation. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone had the same issue and it resolved itself.

Next, after the installation, I noticed that there I had a sensor that no longer had a place to secure it since it was attached to the air scoop. Where do you end up putting this? I zip tied it to the metal brace that comes off the pipe going down to the filter.

I also had a candy cane shaped hose that appears to connect to nothing. It was not one of the 3 hoses that I disconnected to connect to the intake. I am not sure where it goes or if it is supposed to connect to anything. The other end goes straight down and connects to what appears to be the oil pan. Does anyone know if this connects to anything?

The only other things I noticed are that the car is a little louder on cold starts and there is a metallic whoosh sound when you hit the gas pedal hard (before the nice low rumble). Does anyone notice this?

Any help you can provide would great. I am new to the forum and have not found anything related to these issues.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-23-2005, 07:59 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

check to make sure the maf is not backwards. the sensor has to face air flow. as for the tube that goes to nothing, it is a transmission breather line. i dont have an injen but that sensor that was left out is the air temp sensor. it needs to be as close the filter as possible. some intakes have a plug to put it in.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The MAF is on the right side. Also, I should clarify something. The sensor that I said I had nowhere to secure, it doesn't plug into the intake and isn't supposed to. It is connected to everything it is supposed to be. The problem is that the bracket that was holding it in place was on the scoop that is now removed. The temp sensor and MAF are plugged into the intake properly.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-23-2005, 08:55 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

that must be the boost sensor. i know they had them on 2k fed spec maximas but my 2k1 does not have it. hopefully someone else with a 2k and intake will see this and give some advice as to how and where to relocate.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's one of the reason why I didn't swing the Injen CAI way. I got a Berk intake and according to Bryan (Customer Support for Berk), it's very important that all 3 tubes are plugged in properly. My guess is, you're having problems possibly due to the fact that you don't have 1 of them plugged in anywhere, maybe that's why your car is acting up. There should be no hesitation at all after the installation of an intake. I have that sensor as well, from what I understand, that sensor is called boost sensor and many members with PR CAI goes without them. Here's a thread that might help you out.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+intake+sensor

By the way, I have a cali spec max.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:24 AM

My MAF went shortly after installing an intake which usually triggers a shorter life. Sounds like MAF is blown, I have a weapon r intake and have a couple of wires going nowhere. Have no problems..
Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rule da road
My MAF went shortly after installing an intake which usually triggers a shorter life. Sounds like MAF is blown, I have a weapon r intake and have a couple of wires going nowhere. Have no problems..
Yes, that's another issue. Your maf might be blown.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not the boost sensor

All three hoses are connected to the intake. This is a 4th hose that goes nowhere. It sounds like it is a breather line for the transmission. I am not that concerned about it since this is the most likely reason it goes nowhere.

As far as the hesitation, I am going to reset the ECU and see if that takes care of it. Do I just need to disconnect the negative terminal and wait or is there something faster? Also, do I need to let it sit running for a bit before I take off after it has reset?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:45 PM

you can try disconnecting the neg terminal and then try starting the car. i read that this drains waaay faster, in like two or three tries. beats having to wait overnight, and it worked for me.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Cletus

i just ziptied that sensor to another caple around the same area where is was when the scoop was on. no problems
Old 03-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maf

I am planning on replacing the MAF today. I am hoping that this takes care of the problem.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Running Better Than New

Originally Posted by jshoejshoe
I am planning on replacing the MAF today. I am hoping that this takes care of the problem.
Thanks everyone for your help. I replaced the MAF sensor and cleaned off the tempature sensor and the car runs better than it ever has. Plus I have got the added power and the nice low rumble of the intake. If anyone feels like they are loosing a power at 4k RPMs, replacing the MAF sensor may take care of it of for you as well.

Jason