5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03 BOSE left speaker cuts off will TSB help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:00 AM

03 BOSE left speaker cuts off will TSB help?

Ive done some searching and found out that there is a TSB on the headunits in 5.5gens. I am not experiencing the problem where sometimes my left speaker works normally sometimes alittle and sometimes almost cuts off completely. I copied the TSB on this and am planning on visiting the dealer for this, BUT here is the problem:

I currently have 48,500 miles on my 03 and eventhough there is a TSB i dont think they will change it through warranty since im out. Do they have to swap out the Bose or only if your still under warranty. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

If you have no warranty they will charge you 75 to 85 bucks just to tell you that "They cannot duplicate; does it sounds familiar" just use that money and get a new headunit...aftermarket of course......
Old 03-27-2005, 10:22 AM

So eventhough there is a TSB, since i got over 36k they will not cover it.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:24 PM

Does anyone has a diagram or any idea of where the wire is located?
Is it worth just fixing the wire? has anyone done this almost everyone has either replaced it under warranty or bought aftermarket.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They will just replace it with another bad radio, happened to me... happened to others...
Old 03-27-2005, 08:03 PM

Mine got replaced under warranty with another bad HU... the problem has resurfaced now but I'm not gonna bother again... just gonna save the time and money and trash it for an aftermarket....
Old 03-27-2005, 08:29 PM

Nobody has just tried to replace the wire that seems to be the problem.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:25 PM

After more searching i found two things.
1)http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....61#post3745261
But i still cant find any pictures of the actual wire that seems to be loose.
2)Infiniti i35 has the same BOSE as our cars only they dont seem to be having problems with them since there isnt any TSB on it. Not sure if anyone has tried to swap out our Bose and replace it with the factory Bose from the i35.

Comments our welcomed.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
If you have no warranty they will charge you 75 to 85 bucks just to tell you that "They cannot duplicate; does it sounds familiar" just use that money and get a new headunit...aftermarket of course......

does anybody have any good recommendation for after market head unit??
Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by R.I.P. Grandma
After more searching i found two things.
1)http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....61#post3745261
But i still cant find any pictures of the actual wire that seems to be loose.
2)Infiniti i35 has the same BOSE as our cars only they dont seem to be having problems with them since there isnt any TSB on it. Not sure if anyone has tried to swap out our Bose and replace it with the factory Bose from the i35.

Comments our welcomed.
ya i keep thinking that it is just some wire that is loose which is why the sound will cut out and come back occasionally...like when i would turn to the left i believe it was it would cut out...and if i broke hard it would come back in...this was just on occasion...but all in all...this BOSE is frustrating!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:53 AM

I've had the exact same problem [gasp, shock]. If I'm playing a CD and it starts, I eject it and reinsert it and the problem goes away temporarily. Have taken in twice to the dealer I bought it from, and always the typical "can't duplicate" response. Wasn't planning on getting another head unit since it has the 6-disc changer built in. What a PIMA.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:03 PM

I would just keep taking it back (for those who keep getting messed up radios)... I think the dealer warranties their work from the time that its done at least one year or 10k miles... If your radio goes out before that, keep taking it in until they get it right. Thank god I haven't had any problem with my replaced unit... (they told me it was a refurb.... oh well)
Old 03-28-2005, 03:20 PM

If they replaced your headunit you have 1year or 12,500 miles if something goes wrong to take it back to them and get it fixed again under warranty. Unfortunately i dont fall into this category. Im just very suprised that no one has fixed this problem or know of a diagram which shows which wire it is. I think it would be cheaper to just fix the wire then get a brand new unit.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:39 PM

Mine started acting up for the first time tonight. I have 43,000 miles damn.
TTT for ya R.I.P. If you find that loose wire, let me know please.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:16 PM
ILLJIM69

mine does the same, only with the cd player. i think im gonna just bite the bullit and get a new head unit altogether. need mp3 capability anyways......too bad, the Bose "looks" nice.

for those who replaced it, i read a lot about this converter kit you need so you can use the bose speakers and amp. can this part be found almost anywhere? i hate waiting, once i pick out the head unit, i want music the same day.

jim

Old 03-29-2005, 10:25 PM

I just dont think its worth getting a completely brand new unit, instead of just fixing the loose wire. I guess when i finally get some cash together i might have someone try to fix the problem. Im sure someone knows where the wire is, just a shame most people simply replace the whole hu.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by R.I.P. Grandma
I just dont think its worth getting a completely brand new unit, instead of just fixing the loose wire. I guess when i finally get some cash together i might have someone try to fix the problem. Im sure someone knows where the wire is, just a shame most people simply replace the whole hu.
Agreed. I'd rather tear apart 3/4 of my dash than pop another $300 in the stereo that could be spent on performance mods.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Seoul Man

I remember somebody posting a thread saying that some random Nissan technician told him that the problem was with just one wire inside the HU, but I don't think anybody on the Org has actually opened up the HU to find exactly which wire it is. I'm not even sure if the rumor is true. It would be great if the problem was just one wire, because then I could open mine up and fix it myself instead of replacing the HU entirely.

I think it's crap that Nissan won't replace our "Bose" (the HU is actually a Clarion) equipment just because we're a couple thousand miles out of warranty. If only a few of us were having this problem, it would make sense for them to deny warrany work. It's not just a few of us, though. It's almost EVERYBODY who has an 02/03 Bose system. Since the radio has nothing to do with the operation of the vehicle or the safety of the occupants, Nissan is not required to do a recall on this obviously defective part that they put in all our cars. They just issue a TSB, and if you're out of warranty, you're out of luck. Even the TSB is crap, since they just replace your broken HU with another faulty unit that will break within months of installation.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:49 AM

it sounds ghetto, find a buddy with a car in warranty, put it in his, let the dealer swap it and then use the new one.

I hope i have not broken any rules with my shady reply
Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by bigsherv
it sounds ghetto, find a buddy with a car in warranty, put it in his, let the dealer swap it and then use the new one.

I hope i have not broken any rules with my shady reply
Lol, that is pretty ghetto. Most of the people i know with 02 03 max's got rid of the bose.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:28 AM

like me . after having the dealer replace my bad radio.. it happened again 2 month later.. i got pissed and installed my Pioneer MP3 unit.
as far as i was told by the tech at the nissan dealership he said that the problem in the radio is one wire which is positioned at an "L" shape. flaw in the design of Clarion radio... yes the radio is Clarion with a Bose emblem on it.. at least thats what he told me. ....that is why even though you get another unit.. (when u go to the dealer they give you a refurbished unit not a brand new one). the problem can still reoccur. since the flaw in the design is not fixed.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Seoul Man

If a local Org member wants to let me take a look at ther Bose HU, I will see about repairing it.