5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake questions, again. Sorry.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:15 PM
attomica

Brake questions, again. Sorry.

I'm certain this has been brought up numerous times before, but I'm unable to search comprehensively and my perusal of the FAQs didn't reveal the info I need. I'd like to hear from those who are knowledgeable on the 5th Gen brake system, specifically the rears. I intend to change the rotors (Brembos) and pads (Hawks) at all four corners this weekend. I know how to do the fronts without a problem, but the rears have me thinking:

1. Do you have to rotate the caliper pistons to retract them back into the caliper?
2. If so, can you describe in which direction they must be turned?
3. Does the parking brake cable need any consideration other than just working around it?
4. Any other pointers in doing a total brake job on the 5th Gen?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:21 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by attomica
I'm certain this has been brought up numerous times before, but I'm unable to search comprehensively and my perusal of the FAQs didn't reveal the info I need. I'd like to hear from those who are knowledgeable on the 5th Gen brake system, specifically the rears. I intend to change the rotors (Brembos) and pads (Hawks) at all four corners this weekend. I know how to do the fronts without a problem, but the rears have me thinking:

1. Do you have to rotate the caliper pistons to retract them back into the caliper?
2. If so, can you describe in which direction they must be turned?
3. Does the parking brake cable need any consideration other than just working around it?
4. Any other pointers in doing a total brake job on the 5th Gen?

Thanks in advance.
1. yes
2. clockwise
3. much easier if you detack the parking brake wire....else it's hard to take the caliper off

when rotating the rear piston, be careful not to snag/tear/mess up the "boot" on the piston. You can buy a special tool that makes this easily. I use some big needle-nose pliers, personally.

make sure you use shims on the pads
make sure you use anti-squeal on the bad backs
make sure you use brake grease on the spring clips

that is all
Old 04-01-2005, 07:11 AM
attomica

Thanks, irish.