5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

technafit ss brake lines warning!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

technafit ss brake lines warning!!!!

i have had the technafit ss brake lines on my car for a few months now and i go under the car today only to see that my cv boots are ripped due to the line rubbing up against the boot, when the car is lowered onto the ground, i am very displeased with technafits lack of research regarding the correct fittings.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:46 PM
retired moderator

That is PRECISELY the reason I only put on my rears and not the fronts.

You can see in this picture what he's talking about. On the right is the SS line with a standard fitting. On the left is the OEM lines end fitting, with the side-mounted notches, so it exits the caliper at a different angle.

I didn't keep them on because I couLd see they were damn close to the CV boot when I test-fitted them.....I need to contact technafit to get ones with the CORRECT fittings!!!

NOT good news, since alot of people bought these on the Group Deal!

Old 04-03-2005, 03:05 PM
retired moderator

I just sent the following email to Technafit's president and their GM. With any luck they will visit the board and provide some commentary

Mr. Trotter,
I recently purchased a set of Technafit SS brake lines for my 2000 Nissan Maxima (part # NIS-1120). I was very impressed with the quality of the lines overall, but have one major problem. After installing the rear lines (perfect fit), I attempted to install the front lines, only to find that the fitting that attaches to the caliper was not the correct fitting.

It recently has come to my attention (via the Maxima.org forums) that other maxima owners have also had this problem. One owner installed the front lines only to find that after a short time, they were rubbing against (and cut) the C/V boots.

I woud greatly appreciate it if you could see the following posts in the maxima.org forum (including photographs) to understand what I am referring to, and hope that some solution to the problem can be reached.

Please see the following link:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=393522

I know many maxima owners have used/would like to use Technafit lines, so we collectively would appreciate it if you could provide a solution.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:08 PM
retired moderator

by the way, 30585...that avatar is disgusting
Old 04-03-2005, 04:34 PM

Just want to make sure, because they don't have the notches on the sides, the ss brades are rubbing against the cv boot?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:41 PM

are other brands having the same problems?
Old 04-03-2005, 05:14 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by irish44j
by the way, 30585...that avatar is distusting
it is. it will probably get taken off.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:21 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by ICULookN
Just want to make sure, because they don't have the notches on the sides, the ss brades are rubbing against the cv boot?
yes, the notches on the sides are meant so the line comes off the caliper at a different angle (with the notches holding them into the tabs onthe caliper). The SS lines do not have any notches, so you have to run them though the calipers tabs to make sure the line is secure and doesn't loosen. Since the angle is different, the lines most definitely rub, and that's why I didn't even put them on....
Old 04-03-2005, 08:07 PM

i will post pictures of the damage, although i have already cleaned and degreased, the reason they are cutting into the boost is because the actual line not the fitting is resting against the boot, and today it jus finally cut through. its funny irish and myself were talking about the lines a meer 2 days ago, and today this.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:09 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 30585
i will post pictures of the damage, although i have already cleaned and degreased, the reason they are cutting into the boost is because the actual line not the fitting is resting against the boot, and today it jus finally cut through. its funny irish and myself were talking about the lines a meer 2 days ago, and today this.
Yeah, I realize the line is hitting, but it's hitting because the brake line is supposed to come off the caliper at a different angle.....if it had the correct fitting, it would come off at a different angle.

btw, thanks for losing the avatar
Old 04-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Mauja He Mauja

happened to me 2 years back. cv boot is still good though. i caught it in time......
Old 04-03-2005, 09:21 PM

interesting info, i just bought some goodridge SS lines. i hope they dont rub in the front.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ewilfong
interesting info, i just bought some goodridge SS lines. i hope they dont rub in the front.

I was wondering this myself......
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
I was wondering this myself......
just make sure the fitting on the ends of the lines arent like the technafits and that they dont rub.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Wat

That is PRECISELY the reason I only put on my rears and not the fronts.

You can see in this picture what he's talking about. On the right is the SS line with a standard fitting. On the left is the OEM lines end fitting, with the side-mounted notches, so it exits the caliper at a different angle.

I didn't keep them on because I couLd see they were damn close to the CV boot when I test-fitted them.....I need to contact technafit to get ones with the CORRECT fittings!!!

NOT good news, since alot of people bought these on the Group Deal!

I have the Goodridge SS lines on all 4 corners and I have no problems (just ran and checked)....however it could be a design difference between the 5 and 5.5gen
Old 04-03-2005, 10:51 PM

do you have a 5th gen or a 5.5? (or is that a stupid question?)
Old 04-03-2005, 11:22 PM

2k 5-spd se = 5th gen, can u please take pix of the goodridge line? thanx in advance.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 30585
2k 5-spd se = 5th gen, can u please take pix of the goodridge line? thanx in advance.

I was refering to post #15.....if that was shot my way.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
I was refering to post #15.....if that was shot my way.
yah it was shot your way, i was just curious to see how goodridge designed theres. thanx newayz.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:23 AM

I have a 5.5 gen and there are no notches on the ss brake lines I have, I'm assuming the lines are the same for the all of the 5th gen. This is something dangerous waiting to happen, I hope the manufacture gets on this before someone gets hurt. Did anyone communicate this with Jason who did the group deals?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 AM

Nice. I was going to order these on the GD What the hell is up with Technafit, obviously NO R&D was done. Pathetic, really pathetic
Old 04-04-2005, 09:21 AM

because of another orger who is a techy at a local nisssan stealership, im having him replace the boot for me, he said the boot with his discount is approx 30 bux and he wants 50, he also said that hes gonna figure a way out to safely re-route the line, so i dont have to remove it. will keep you guys updated on situation.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Wat

Ill snap a pic or wait till the meet and show ya.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 AM

I've had Technafit SS lines on there for a long time with no problem... even with the original brake setup. With the BlehmCo BBK, I couldn't fit the line in the notch anyway, so I had to tighten the banjo bolt while holding the line steady with my finger. No problems whatsoever.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:06 PM
retired moderator

Guys...
let's not jump to any conclusions. Someone here on the org did a test-fit for Technafit and obviously did not realize this problem....I have received an email from the president of Technafit and he has offered to switch out new lines with the correct fittings for anyone who has this problem. I will be test-fitting the new lines for him as soon as they get here. Once I give the thumbs-up, they will be available to everyone to swap theirs.

here is a copy of the email Technafit sent to me, FYI:

Josh, I have looked at the site and the picture that was posted. I see that there could be a problem, we were not aware of any problem. No one ever told us of this issue, we sell a lot of these lines. I believe that the issue can be solved very easily, by putting a banjo with a with a different angle. So that it clears the CV boot better, also we can put a clear cover on the hose for caffe protection. For the guy who lowered his car, the lines should have been made shorter, obviously when you lower the car, the lines become too long and will rub somewhere.
We stand behind the product that we make, anyone with a problem with the front brake lines is welcome to return the lines, for replacement ones. I would someone to try the replacements before we do this. Please let me know, if you are interested in testing them, or if you have someone else in mind.
Stuart Trotter
President
Old 04-04-2005, 01:35 PM

Guys...
let's not jump to any conclusions. Someone here on the org did a test-fit for Technafit and obviously did not realize this problem....I have received an email from the president of Technafit and he has offered to switch out new lines with the correct fittings for anyone who has this problem. I will be test-fitting the new lines for him as soon as they get here. Once I give the thumbs-up, they will be available to everyone to swap theirs.

josh got your p.m send one back to you

I just talk to stuart about this problem. I am guessing this only happen for the 5gen guys, no problem with the 4gens what so ever, I just check out one of the local guys at s.cal. I am gonne check out a 5gen later today to see if the line is rubbing.
anyways stuart said the problem is the banjo angel location. Josh is going to test fited, after the test fit we'll go from there. And I do belive this is a random problem.
btw 2000-2001 ss lines and 2002-2003 lines are different.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:35 PM

That's great work Irish44j, I also got the lines in the GD.
Any word on them actually changing the lines if we visit their shop?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ag2k
That's great work Irish44j, I also got the lines in the GD.
Any word on them actually changing the lines if we visit their shop?
SS lines don't need to be changed, because they are the same length, can't be shorter nor longer. The length of the SS lines is perfect, the only problem is the banjo location. That will be fix when josh received the sameple
Old 04-04-2005, 01:49 PM

I also have the Goodridge SS lines, lowered with Eibach's, and don't have a rubbing problem.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:53 PM
retired moderator

here is a rough drawing of the problem..so you guys can visualize it....

Old 04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Mauja He Mauja

here is a rough drawing of the problem..so you guys can visualize it....

nice art work irish
Old 04-04-2005, 03:37 PM

btw just talk to sturt again, he said because the Stainless steel brake lines was make base on the OEM line fitting, length etc. If you car is lower you might want to secure it more instead of let it hang..
Old 04-04-2005, 08:49 PM
retired moderator

Guys, again....I spoke to Jason (who did the GD on these) and Stuart at Technafit and have full confidence that everything will be taken care of.....

As soon as I get the new lines to test-fit (with any luck, before the next auto-x) I will put them on and let everyone know they have the green light! In the meantime, i suggest you take a quick look at how your lines are situated, and secure them with zip-ties or something if they are hanging too close to the cv boot.....or put some kind of "bumper" on them or a piece of rubber or something so they don't rub the cv boot rubber directly.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Guys, again....I spoke to Jason (who did the GD on these) and Stuart at Technafit and have full confidence that everything will be taken care of.....

As soon as I get the new lines to test-fit (with any luck, before the next auto-x) I will put them on and let everyone know they have the green light! In the meantime, i suggest you take a quick look at how your lines are situated, and secure them with zip-ties or something if they are hanging too close to the cv boot.....or put some kind of "bumper" on them or a piece of rubber or something so they don't rub the cv boot rubber directly.
ties work good to secure them. that's what i had to do......
Old 04-04-2005, 09:32 PM

thanks for everybodys input and handling the problem.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:01 PM
scopium

i'm planning to put electrical tape or some plastic cover hoses around the lines.. that should prevent the rubbing

Old 04-04-2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by scopium
i'm planning to put electrical tape or some plastic cover hoses around the lines.. that should prevent the rubbing
yah till it wears through the tape and starts again.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:53 PM

Any other quick temporary fix ideas?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ag2k
Any other quick temporary fix ideas?
You have to stop the rubbing. Ziptie it away or go back to the stock lines. Maybe a custom bracket can hold it out of the way.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:06 PM

Guys...

Now this is customer service, thanks techanfit for coming through, wish alot more companies was like this. Thanks Irish for getting this done.

Quick Reply: technafit ss brake lines warning!!!!