5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

technafit ss brake lines warning!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

any update on teh new lines?
Old 04-11-2005, 03:06 PM
retired moderator

nothing...I mailed the old ones back today.....I guess they want the old ones before they send the new ones
Old 04-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
nothing...I mailed the old ones back today.....I guess they want the old ones before they send the new ones
I bet they will just put a different banjo bolt on one side, that should fix the problem.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by theMax
I bet they will just put a different banjo bolt on one side, that should fix the problem.
fine by me....that's all it needs.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:46 PM

well, just as an update, irish got the lines today but he wont be able to get them on till the week after next. he also said it looks like the wrong end is on.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Keep us posted. I need to get mine exchange.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:54 PM

i will, cuz i cant roll around with ripped cv boots and bad lines for much longer.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM
retired moderator

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I do not plan on installing these, as I can see that the banjo bolt is still not the correct type. Without the nubs on the side (or at least 1 side) to notch into the tabs on the caliper, the line *could* eventually work itself loose as the wheels turn from right to left over time...that is precisely why the nubs are there on the OEM banjo bolt. So.....I will contact technafit again and appraise them of the situation.

To their credit, they did send the new lines quickly, and they have changed the angle of the line fitting....but it is still not the correct fitting.....it will probably prevent the rubbing on the C/V boot, which might be good enough for most....but for me personally, "good enough" is not synonymous with "correct"....

see pic...on the left is the OEM fitting (on the car)...on the left is the New technafit line.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:08 PM
drag racing is for wussies

My Goodridge aint got this problem- and they cost me 100 bux from Horsepowerfreaks.com
Old 04-19-2005, 06:33 PM
retired moderator

Mike, so you're saying the goodridge lines DO have the two "nubs" off of the banjo bolt?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:36 PM

Lemme call up my friend to veriffy this, I gave him my old lines after I upgraded the brakes to the TTZ calipers. But I'm 99% positive they have the little tabs on the line- I have my car mega slammed and never have problems with the lines rubbing.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
My Goodridge aint got this problem- and they cost me 100 bux from Horsepowerfreaks.com
could you get us a picture of the goodridge lines????
Old 04-20-2005, 05:20 AM

I will see what I can do, I need to call up Stardust- an .orgie and see if hes got a digi camera to take a few pics of the lines since i hooked him up with my Goodridge lines after I upgraded to the TTZ calipers with POS IRotors 04 Max disks. Can't wait till my lightweight Coleman rotors get in !
Old 04-20-2005, 02:35 PM
retired moderator

well, as far as I can tell the Goodridge lines don't have that "correct" fitting either, at least not according to Technafit. Here is what Trotter Stuart (technafit) sent to me today:

Originally Posted by Technafit
Josh, our banjos do not have the OEM style nubs as you call them. I do not believe that anybody's do (Goodridge) either. If you need the OEm style exactly you need to buy the rubber lines and cut them apart, braze the ends on, then re plate them and assemble. They will be in the range of $100.00 for the kit. If you are unhappy with what you have, return them and we will refund your money. I have check our records and we have sold 200 hundred kits in the last 2 years. Mostly without any problems. Let me know.
Thanks.
I will give Mr.Stuart credit for quick responses and a fair offer to return the lines, but am still wondering why the correct fittings cannot be put onto their brake lines (?)

I replied:
I'm not questioning your record of success/quality, but must inquire as to why you do not fit your lines with the oem style banjos - is it simply a cost-cutting measure, or do you simply not want to make correct fittings for the maxima (and any other car that uses these)? Forgive me, but I simply can't see why an incorrect fitting would be used in place of a correct fitting, especially on something as important as brake lines. While SS lines are most certainly preferable to the OEM rubber lines in terms of pedal feel and performance, I for one am not planning on sacrificing CORRECT fit and safety for the sake of performance.

Whether goodridge or other companies do is not relevant to this concern. If they don't, then they are making them wrong as well. I guess I'll be staying with stock in the front....not going through the trouble of mailing lines back again and taking off the rear SS lines (which fit correctly, I might add).
so we'll see how this works out....I'm not putting the lines on as-is....the safety factor (read: lines don't loosen) is more important to me than the performance factor...
Old 04-20-2005, 07:31 PM
retired moderator

Update...just received a response from Technafit
Originally Posted by Technafit
Josh, unfortunately you have no concept of how things are manufactured. Oem style banjos, of which there are over 250 types, which if you made them all would make you broke at 3000-5000 each to make. But there is a company that does something like that, I suggest you contact Brakequip, they may be able to help you. It is up to you.
my response:
Originally Posted by me
My point was, can't you source these parts from someplace for your brake lines if they are needed (i.e. Brakequip) and you can't make them yourself (for the aforementioned cost-prohibitive reasons)? I realize that there are many types of Banjo bolts (try finding the correct ones for a 1970 Triumph GT6....), but someone is making them.

Considering I have an engineering degree, I actually have an excellent concept of how things are manufactured - and a concept of how to outsource for components if they cannot be cost-effectively made in-house. If your business model requires all of your components to be made in-house (which of course is your choice to do), then it would be sensible to only sell brake lines that you can make to the correct specs (i.e. not the 5th generation maxima front lines), wouldn't it?

Would technafit be willing to retrofit OEM banjos from an OEM line onto your SS lines? This would be assuming that the buyer could supply a set of OEM lines (junkyard...)

so...that's my 2 cents on this issue, and I don't think I will have anything else to add.....

For those of you who are concerned only about the lines rubbing the C/V boot, it appears that the 2nd set that technafit sent to me to test have more of a bend in the banjo fitting, and should clear the boot just fine (dry test only, I didn't install them)....so if that is what you're concerned with, you should be ok with the re-done Technafit lines.

that said, I personally will not endorse these lines, as from my point of view they are not the correct fitting, though they are probably good enough for most people.

So...do what you're comfortable with (i.e. return the original lines for the new technafit ones if you are ok with "good enough" - which is fine for most people, I'm sure). In my view "correct" > "good enough" so I'll be holding off on SS front lines until I can find ones with the "correct" fitting.

BY THE WAY......Technafit has been very professional in their dealings with me, and I appreciate that - I also realize that some companies just can't do certain things. In this case, it appears that technafit cannot do the correct 5th gen lines. This is not a knock on the company (the lines they make are of excellent quality, and I have them on my rear brakes), but does reflect the business realities of the brake line business, apparently (who knew!?!).
Old 04-20-2005, 08:26 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated with this, you did your part. Hopefully Technafit will step up and design them the right way.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:03 AM

any update on the situation wiit technafit?????
Old 05-02-2005, 11:33 AM

Thaks for taking the lead on this Irish, I appreciate your efforts.
Will U be installing the 2nd set of lines they sent you? If so, please let us know what you thought.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:20 AM

out of curiousity, do ne of the 5th genners with the 300zx upgrade have this issue of rubbing???
Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 PM

ne update on the lines???
Old 05-24-2005, 01:24 PM
retired moderator

no update from me. I have better things to do than deal with brake lines any further, and don't anticipate Technafit resolving this issue because of what they say is the added expense of using/acquiring the double-prong banjo fittings. Maybe I'll look into this again someday when I'm bored, but don't hold your breath.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:10 PM

i agree, i just dont appreciate there lack of enthusiasm for selling the correct fittings on the lines, in all honesty i will no longer buy or reccomend them to anybody that asks.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:31 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by panda_1
i agree, i just dont appreciate there lack of enthusiasm for selling the correct fittings on the lines, in all honesty i will no longer buy or reccomend them to anybody that asks.
basically, Technafit said that the cost of buying those fittings would be prohibitive, blah, blah, blah and they couldn't/wouldn't do it. At that point I said f*ck it and moved on......
Old 05-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

I've had the Goodridge SS lines on the 2k3 since March, and they are great... no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:01 PM

^^same, in fact i dont understand what all the big fuss is about. and dont respond to this by saying what i have already read in this thread. when i go home this weekend i will take pics of my goodridge lines installed proving that there is absolutely no possible way they could rub the axle boot.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 PM

just ordered some Goodridge - after reading those e-mails from Technafit, there's no way I'd give them any of my money.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by ewilfong
^^same, in fact i dont understand what all the big fuss is about. and dont respond to this by saying what i have already read in this thread. when i go home this weekend i will take pics of my goodridge lines installed proving that there is absolutely no possible way they could rub the axle boot.
I will note, just for the record, that the 2nd set they sent me were long enough not to rub. I simply was not happy with the incorrect banjo fitting. Will it work? Sure, with no rubbing. But "good" isn't "good enough" when it comes to braking.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:43 PM

alright, well i will post pictures anyways just so people can see what the lines look like installed. assuming the Technafit lines are just as long as the Goodridge lines in the front, people can be reassured that they both fit fine
Old 05-26-2005, 08:38 PM

Some of you may consider this, I bought some clear aquarium tubing from an aquarium shop. I cut the tube down the middle on oneside and put it around the brake lines. The plastic will keep the metal from rubbing against the boot.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:25 PM

well no matter now, my cv boots are fubar so im just replacing the boots and the lines with the ones that come with the blehmco tt brakes.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:04 PM

here we go, i am at home so i dont have photoshop to resize the images. as you can see the goodridge lines are more than long enough to not come close to rubbing.

(sorry, lost the pics in the links...)

Last edited by Ephraim; 04-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 AM
STFU n00b!

yeah, I'm gonig to dig up a 6 month old thread because it was linked elsewhere.....

that's funny.. you guys are *****ing to technafit about the lines not fitting, when EVERYONE makes those Banjos like that? WTF?!
In the 8 years I've been working on and playing with Nissans, I've bought and sold lines from Goodridge, Earls, Crown, Technafit, and a couple other brands that I can't remember.
not a SINGLE ONE has those little nubs on it.. ONLY the OEM lines do. In the hundreds of sets I've sold and the dozens I've installed, NOT ONE has come back with a banjo loosening up on me from those nubs not being there.

Irish goes off about his engineering degree, yet puts no factual basis on why these nubs MUST be there, only that "Nissan put them on there so they must be there for aftermarket". well guys, that's not how it works once you get outside the classroom. it's the whole pick 2 of the 3 thing:
highest quality
lowest price
lowest quantity

If you're buying 10,000 lines, then sure you can have them made with the little nubs on them.. but at 10,000 lines, I don't have $200,000 to crap out.
go call a manufacturer and ask them how much it will cost to have a custom fitting like that molded up for you and then only use it for 500 lines.. $100 for a set of lines would not even begin to cover the costs...

You're shooting these people down because of a couple people jumping to conclusions that because they're not exactly like OEM, they're going to suddenly explode and fail and everyone around you is going to DIAF. pull your heads out of your collective ***** and look at how many hundreds of thousands of sets have been sold and are on cars you drive past on the road every day. (Nissan isn't the only one that uses banjo fittings!)
Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 AM

There were a couple of guys who had technafit whose cv boots were cut because of the ss lines. This was not the only thread on this, there were a few, it was discussed many times and people didn't jump to conclusions. I resolved my problem by having a muffler shop cut off the nubs on my oem lines and solder on the technafit ss lines and putting aquarium tubing around it just to be on the safe side. No problem since.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 PM

so goodridges have the ******* or not?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:14 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
so goodridges have the ******* or not?
Not. None except OEM have them.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:50 PM

so if the goodridges arent having problems...

Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by ICULookN
There were a couple of guys who had technafit whose cv boots were cut because of the ss lines. This was not the only thread on this, there were a few, it was discussed many times and people didn't jump to conclusions. I resolved my problem by having a muffler shop cut off the nubs on my oem lines and solder on the technafit ss lines and putting aquarium tubing around it just to be on the safe side. No problem since.
again, that's because of installation error.
just because those nubs aren't there doesn't mean the banjo bolts should be installed POINTING THE WRONG WAY on the caliper! that's the reason the lines are hitting the CV boots, not because of the lack of the nubs!

and as has been said, NONE of the companies put those little nubs on there. I have yet to see a problem with them, and obviously none of the companies do either.
so either EVERY company is out trying to kill us, or you guys are using your 'jump to conclusions mat' way too much again.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
so if the goodridges arent having problems...

ding ding ding!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

glad I spotted this. I was about to purchase a set for the Maxima. I havent had any problems with the fitment or performance on my Spec-V.