5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PM (Preventative Maintainance) race time

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 AM

PM (Preventative Maintainance) race time

hey all. well i have had about 10,000 miles on my filter from injen. should i clean it. I am going to he track and i want to make sure that i go over everything. i know it will be a pain to take the bottom tube off. i take it a regular K&N kit will do the trick right? also I want to run something like 100 octane maybe a little more do i have to worry about detonation?

Anything else you guys can think to do before I go speak up
Old 04-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Seoul Man

Cleaning your filter is a good idea. The regular filter cleaner and filter oil from K&N will do the trick very nicely.

Many 5.5th gen owners have discovered that their stock timing isn't even advanced enough to take full advantage of 93 octane fuel. As for running 100 octane race gas, I wouldn't recommend it. Unless your timing is heavily advanced, you will not notice any gains from it, and you'll end up wasting your money. If you REALLY REALLY want to run it, that's your choice. Just make sure it's UNLEADED. If it isn't, you will foul your cat and possibly mess up an 02 sensor.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by 03tgtmaxima
hey all. well i have had about 10,000 miles on my filter from injen. should i clean it. I am going to he track and i want to make sure that i go over everything. i know it will be a pain to take the bottom tube off. i take it a regular K&N kit will do the trick right? also I want to run something like 100 octane maybe a little more do i have to worry about detonation?

Anything else you guys can think to do before I go speak up
k&n solution will do the trick however, if you have a couple of extra bucks, you may to consider getting a new filter. not becuase of the current condition, but its size. you get a brand new larger filter for around 35 bucks. an ru-2820 is a good choice. as far as other suggestions, try to go with around 1/4 tank of gas. lower pressure in front tires for traction and raise rear. take out extra junk including spare tire and jack for instance. as said before, running that high of octane on stock timing probably will not yield anything but a lighter wallet.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Boss Chen Industries

www.nasaproracing.com recommends switching over to a 10w40 engine oil for road racing due to higher engine temps at the track
Old 04-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
www.nasaproracing.com recommends switching over to a 10w40 engine oil for road racing due to higher engine temps at the track
Are you going to the drag strip or to another type of track? Switching to a heavier oil is a good idea if you plan on running the car for extended periods of time at a high operating temperature like you would during an endurance road race, but if you're only going in for a few runs at the drag strip in the evening, changing to a heavier oil for one night is not really practical.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Boss Chen Industries

Originally Posted by spiromax
Are you going to the drag strip or to another type of track? Switching to a heavier oil is a good idea if you plan on running the car for extended periods of time at a high operating temperature like you would during an endurance road race, but if you're only going in for a few runs at the drag strip in the evening, changing to a heavier oil for one night is not really practical.
Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
also, if you go to the site its purely for road racing
Old 04-08-2005, 12:28 AM

cool cool thanks. yeah i am going drag racing my best is 14.6 i have an auto and i rememer how much of a ***** it was for that filter the first time we will see what happens