7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Service Dept Nissan of Athens

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 AM

I bought my 2011 back in March w 35k on it. I bought the First Mile Maintainence package warranty that includes oil changes, tire rotations and a wash for 75k miles. Figured it would save a lil on oil changes since they are like $80 here. Anyway, I can't ever get a straight answer from the Service manager. I asked what kind of oil they use and he said "Mobil-X". I never heard of it. Googled it and didn't find much. He said it's a semi-synthetic oil. He said they recommend oil changes at 5k intervals which last time I got one the lil sticker in the window had me coming back at like 3750mi. I asked what weight oil they use and he said it depends? WTH does it depend on? I was referring to my MAXIMA, not Nissans in general. When I said that he just said "oh". I don't know if it's because it's Sat and they're busy as hell or what but they're smug and their customer service isn't good. After my maintainence agreement is over I'm going to change my own oil. I know it's prob in this forum somewhere, but WTH is Mobil-X and what kind of filter do they use? I guess I should read my owners Manual but I'm terribly busy and only have time to type this because it's taking them 70+ minutes to change my oil and I had a 9:00appt. Also, why have people make appts if it doesn't really make a difference?! I'm just ill because when I return to the dealership where I bought my car, I want a little CS and kindness and help. Thanks for any input guys/gals. -M
Old 08-22-2015, 09:25 AM

As there is no "official' product called Mobil-X I can only assume he meant one of the Mobil brands of oil from conventional thru semi-syn to full synthetic. Not telling you the weight of the oil (5-30, 0-20, etc) is not a good sign.

I do feel your pain re: Reservations and appointments. I give them two chances, the first time I ask for the reason and if satisfied that it was a Force Majour type of incident, will try again. If the second time is as bad, then I no longer frequent the establishment. If appears that you already paid for the service plan so I would ask for my money back and if really upset, return the car as well.
My bride says I can be a bit of an inpatient sort with those that do not treat me as I treat them and will admit it has cost me a few $$ along the way, so take my advice with a LOT of salt!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:28 AM

I have always used Mobil One Extended Performance 5W-30 full synthetic in mine since 10k KM.
Nissan for some reason puts the interval at 5k Km or 3750 miles but the oil is guaranteed by the manufacturer to run for 20K Km with no issues.
I live in Miami right now and bought the oil from Wallmart because it's way cheeaper than anywhere else and then bought a K&N oilnfilter from a parts source or any other store. Last oil change I payed 18 USD for it, just labour. Oil and filter were I think 37 USD.
Some people here went more than the recommended milege between the oil changed with no issues but I will play by Nissan rules until my warranty expires.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:28 PM

I'm pretty sure they used recycled oil. From what I've read from other members. They used the cheapest oil they buy in bulk and the weight of the oil they probably don't care. That's probably why they just always put 3750 miles on the sticker. It's not a big deal to used recycled oil but it angers me how the dealer doesn't seem to care to answer any questions.

@LtLeary .... returning the car for bad(typical) dealer service sounds unrealistic and extreme.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by MatthewsMaxima
I bought my 2011 back in March w 35k on it. I bought the First Mile Maintainence package warranty that includes oil changes, tire rotations and a wash for 75k miles. Figured it would save a lil on oil changes since they are like $80 here. Anyway, I can't ever get a straight answer from the Service manager. I asked what kind of oil they use and he said "Mobil-X". I never heard of it. Googled it and didn't find much. He said it's a semi-synthetic oil. He said they recommend oil changes at 5k intervals which last time I got one the lil sticker in the window had me coming back at like 3750mi. I asked what weight oil they use and he said it depends? WTH does it depend on? I was referring to my MAXIMA, not Nissans in general. When I said that he just said "oh". I don't know if it's because it's Sat and they're busy as hell or what but they're smug and their customer service isn't good. After my maintainence agreement is over I'm going to change my own oil. I know it's prob in this forum somewhere, but WTH is Mobil-X and what kind of filter do they use? I guess I should read my owners Manual but I'm terribly busy and only have time to type this because it's taking them 70+ minutes to change my oil and I had a 9:00appt. Also, why have people make appts if it doesn't really make a difference?! I'm just ill because when I return to the dealership where I bought my car, I want a little CS and kindness and help. Thanks for any input guys/gals. -M

The invoice I get from my dealership after an oil change has the oil used (Castro synblend) viscosity (5w20) and amount put in (4-1/2 qts) every 5000 miles. It takes 30 minutes to do with all the fluid and tire checks.

Sounds like you need to look for another service dept.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
The invoice I get from my dealership after an oil change has the oil used (Castro synblend) viscosity (5w20) and amount put in (4-1/2 qts) every 5000 miles. It takes 30 minutes to do with all the fluid and tire checks.

Sounds like you need to look for another service dept.
5w20??? Oh boy.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ross2893
5w20??? Oh boy.

My Bad -- 5w30
Old 09-03-2015, 09:28 AM

customer service at nissan

here in Minot,ND
I work at Ryan nissan/honda store we do either honda or nissan approved oils or mobil 1 syn and we do have all weights as far as appointments go every dealship varies on that issue just depends on how they value repeat customers in my view
Old 09-04-2015, 04:17 AM

I also asked the service manager what a good OEM equivalent oil filter is since I'm going to be changing my own oil after my maintenance package is expired. He said that there isnt one. Seriously?!?! I really doubt that I cant get an equivalent or better oil filter at Auto Zone or Walmart. He said, "Just the other day we had a Maxima towed here from a Chevy dealership (where someone had bought one of their used lot), because it was leaking oil so bad because they didnt use a "Nissan" oil filter". I know he's supposed to tell customers to come to the dealership so they can make money, but I dont buy all that BS. I'll search the threads for posts about what filters you guys use when the time comes.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 AM

Ha that is BS, I had an oem oil filter malfunction on my Max last month. Oil on everything under the car.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bificus99
Ha that is BS, I had an oem oil filter malfunction on my Max last month. Oil on everything under the car.

What was the cause of the malfunction, as I only use OEM oil filter?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:34 AM

oil filters

Nissan oil filter number is 1520865F0E
alt numbers Ac delco PF1237 Motorcraft Fl816 these are the filters nissan approves of as a oem replacement . there are others like mobil 1 has the Mo4612 that nissan dont accept as replacements for oem
Old 09-11-2015, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by MatthewsMaxima
Matt, are you talking about the service center off of Atlanta Highway in Athens GA? If that is they case that is the same place I take both my cars.
I typically deal with David or Corey but here goes the thing, please remember these guys are not the one's that work on your nor are they mechs OR care what goes into your car... They are there to do ONE job and that is to sell you service.
I've honestly had nothing but great service from them every time i've been there.
When it comes to ANY lube place better just believe unless you see them pouring it out of a bottle, just assume you are getting something just over the quality of cooking oil in your motor.
Every time I take my car there I pay about $18 for an Oil change...Now I always ask my self...For $18?????What kind've oil are they using in my car to get it changed that cheap???? Psh, I really don't care, I have a CPO that is good until 120k which I am really hoping my car will be gone by then.
I do agree with you about the appointments, I NEVER make one...That said, I need to take my 07' Max in for an oil change...
Let me know how it all goes, maybe we can link up sometime...I assume you either live in Athens or Bogart or somewhere close...