5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

17 Degree timing adv. Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by BP_3.5
i have to admit. once i got past the initial temptation to floor it at every opportunity, the best part of this "mod" is probably the better gas mileage. i've gotten almost an extra 40 miles to a full tank under normal driving conditions. my timing is at 18 and i use 93 only.

i wonder if others have gotten the same improvement?
i thought that for the 5.5 gen's you should only go to 17? is it ok to go to 18 while using 91 or do u HAVE to use 93 if u decide to have the timing at 18?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just had my timing advanced from 15 to 17 degrees yesterday. Should I have gotten it advanced to 18 degrees? I ONLY run 93 Octane in my car. As far as results?....the only thing that I have noticed so far is that I have a bit more high end power while cruising in 6th. Ill do more driving and update again. Oh yeah, one more thing,...since it was such a quick service, the service manager charged me 0.5 hrs labor instead of the 1.0 hrs he quoted me on the phone. For $35 bucks...it was worth it to me to see what kind of bang I can get out of it, plus its still within spec so I think its pretty safe.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:32 AM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

^ i believe 5.5 gens can safely increase timing almost to 20 although anything past 18 is probably moot. then again i'm not a tech so i'm basing this on what i've read on the org.

that said, if you increase timing it is "recommended" that you also increase the octane level to gain the most benefit (effectiveness) from the timing advance. even so, i always ran 93 even prior to the timing adjustment since premium fuel is recommended but not required for our engines.

as far as non-scientific results, i've noticed a slight increase in pull and smoothness at all rpms, but that may be a placebo effect. plus i put a kn filter in my GAB the same day i got the timing advance done so i'm sure that added to the perceived improvement as well.

however, as mentioned before there is no denying the increased gas mileage. THAT is concrete evidence to me that the timing advance is doing it's job.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:48 AM

Yo, BP 3.5!!...so what did you get your timing advanced to, 17 or 18 degrees?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MoCoMax
It's quite literally just a few keystrokes on the Consult II, but they should do the idle speed adjustment at the same time, apparently. My dealer is a snake, but I wanted the mod, so I paid. I'll trash him on the customer service report, if only because he told me it couldn't be done, and I had to get the directions to prove him wrong.

You have to decide if the $75 is worth it. In my book, it is. The car runs smoother, pulls a little stronger, and gas mileage is improved. It might be my head playing tricks, but the car just feels stronger, particularly at highway speeds.
Which dealer MoCo??? The one's i've contacted reacted to me as if I've asked them to sacrifice their first born.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
one thing tht was noticeable was the engine sound has changed.
What do you mean by the sound has changed? What does it sound like? I brought mine home yesterday after having the timing advanced and it sounded just a TAD different.. almost like more clicking (like more was going on with the engine) almost or something like that. I know that knock sounds worse and I had my brother come out and hear the motor. I've only used 93 Octane from Chevron or Shell (techron, v-power respectively) Also he raised my idle to 750...
Old 05-05-2005, 07:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

The entire combustion process is happening earlier. It jsut sounds a bit louder at a different note, resonance waves in different sinc, it's a good sound, nothng major. Keep in mind I have headers ONLY.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:12 AM
BP

Originally Posted by Mizike
Yo, BP 3.5!!...so what did you get your timing advanced to, 17 or 18 degrees?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:59 AM
OU > *

Well, my plan just got blown up.....my friend who is the Service Dept Director at Sewell Infiniti in Dallas just told me over the phone that he can not advance the timing on a Nissan ECU, only an Infiniti ECU -- with the consult 2. So I guess I will have to find someone around here and pay the full price -- damnit.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:19 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Your friend is a moron. Consult 2 works on all Nissan/Infiniti vehicles.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:25 PM
OU > *

He understood that -- but he said the only thing that the Consult 2 will allow him to do on the Nissan is pull codes, it won't allow him to tweak the computer.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Yes it will, you need to go into work support mode. I30/I35 cards are the same as the Maxima cards, they share the same friggn sensors, wires and even ECUs. Simply put it, his techs are morons for telling him that you cant do a Nissan ECU with a Consult 2. I have a Consult 2 and it does Infinitis and Nissans all the same way.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:55 PM
OU > *

OK then.....guess that answers that question -- too bad I don't feel like being an *** by calling him back and telling him he is wrong.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by BP_3.5
^ i believe 5.5 gens can safely increase timing almost to 20 although anything past 18 is probably moot. then again i'm not a tech so i'm basing this on what i've read on the org.

that said, if you increase timing it is "recommended" that you also increase the octane level to gain the most benefit (effectiveness) from the timing advance. even so, i always ran 93 even prior to the timing adjustment since premium fuel is recommended but not required for our engines.

as far as non-scientific results, i've noticed a slight increase in pull and smoothness at all rpms, but that may be a placebo effect. plus i put a kn filter in my GAB the same day i got the timing advance done so i'm sure that added to the perceived improvement as well.

however, as mentioned before there is no denying the increased gas mileage. THAT is concrete evidence to me that the timing advance is doing it's job.
Where did you have yours done in the Atlanta area? Cost?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:18 PM
BP

^ check pm.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:42 PM

My dealer gave me some BS about EPA ratings. I hate Nissan service....
Old 05-05-2005, 03:02 PM

just got mine tuned to 17 deg btdc..........great performance for the free job nissan gave me!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Which dealer MoCo??? The one's i've contacted reacted to me as if I've asked them to sacrifice their first born.
I used Hilltop Nissan, on Route 10 in East Hanover. The service manager is an arrogant *****, and I only went there because I live nearby. I went in and asked, he said it couldn't be done, then brought in his "expert" tech who said the same thing. I told them they were both wrong, and came back the next day with specific instructions. The funny thing is that the job didn't phase the guy who actually did the work. He brought it back out to me, told me that he bumped me from 15 to 17, and out I went. I had the distinct impression that they knew exactly what I was asking for, but they were playing a game to see how serious I was.

I hate giving those guys my money, but for something like this, I had no choice. In the end, the mod was worth the money, though.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:20 PM
vsamoylov

I used Hilltop Nissan, on Route 10 in East Hanover. The service manager is an arrogant *****, and I only went there because I live nearby. I went in and asked, he said it couldn't be done, then brought in his "expert" tech who said the same thing. I told them they were both wrong, and came back the next day with specific instructions. The funny thing is that the job didn't phase the guy who actually did the work. He brought it back out to me, told me that he bumped me from 15 to 17, and out I went. I had the distinct impression that they knew exactly what I was asking for, but they were playing a game to see how serious I was.

I hate giving those guys my money, but for something like this, I had no choice. In the end, the mod was worth the money, though.

what instructions did you give to them?

Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 PM

yea wtf can i see a dyno already of this, i know it's been like several years since anyone's first done it but what really is the lowdown on this.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:03 AM

You dont know if they really changed anything, do you? I had this issue with a dealership when I asked them to update my ECU and they gave me a bunch of hooey that it cant be done if there is no code stored. I told them I would pay them, serv. manager said OK, took my car in, washed it and gave it back to me with a smile. Its a warranty issue for them. If they fcsk up anything with ECU or the engine while doing it, they would be responsible.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:18 AM

I'd hate to have to drive to the midwest for this but, I may have to pay Blackbird a visit. Thanks for the headsup on Hilltop, MoCo.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:31 AM

Anyone have these "instructions" that a few of you have talked about??? I'm interested in this procedure and want to go in to the dealer with some backup
Old 05-06-2005, 06:56 AM
OU > *

NYPD-Arnold posted them a while back, you might want to PM him.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by S00NR1
NYPD-Arnold posted them a while back, you might want to PM him.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 AM

North Jersey peeps...I got this done today at ALL BRANDS NISSAN in Hackensack for $45. Great service, the people are polite, and knowledgeable.

Yes, I know...I'm the greatest.

P.S. I drove the car 30 minutes. Can't tell night and day but sense a bit more torque. My hp might be at 500whp now according to my butt dyno. As long as my mpg improves.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:07 PM

I will take pictures of the Consult with EACH individual screen tomorrow when I'm doing the timing UPPING on 11 5th-5.5 gens Then you can show the dealers that are buncha stupid ****** with uneducated mechanics- what is up.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Oh boy i can't wait! I'll bring my camera tomorrow too.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Don't get your hopes way up brotha ! If you are as excited as it sounds you might think the power diff is overrated :P Regardless, we are all GREEN for tomorrow, we will be out at the place of the meet- parking lot I mentioned, with a Consult 2 armed for duty
Old 05-06-2005, 04:52 PM

damn that's sick someone in socal should get one too lol
Old 05-06-2005, 05:34 PM
vsamoylov

yes somebody should get one in norcal as well so they can work on my car. check this link out. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....14#post3958414

Old 05-06-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by nailz420
You dont know if they really changed anything, do you? I had this issue with a dealership when I asked them to update my ECU and they gave me a bunch of hooey that it cant be done if there is no code stored. I told them I would pay them, serv. manager said OK, took my car in, washed it and gave it back to me with a smile. Its a warranty issue for them. If they fcsk up anything with ECU or the engine while doing it, they would be responsible.
Well, the engine does idle smoother, and 'seems' to respond a little quicker, but the only real evidence is the improved gas mileage. Something's made the engine more efficient (to the tune of about 40 miles a tank), especially considering that since my new rubber, my lead foot is heavier than ever
Old 05-08-2005, 08:33 PM

After advancing the timing...i hit 401 miles before filling up. That is a 24.6 mpg for local and hwy driving (50/50). I never hit close to 400...maybe 380 at best running on fumes.

This has good power but mpg is the best part for me.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

I tried to get three dealers in NH to do this and the responses ranged from..No that is not possible to yeah we can do that but the ECU will spit out the change as soon as it is restarted. Is that last part a valid concern? I just find it hard to beleive that so many people have it done yet the Consult II will not be able to make a permanent adjustment to the ECU. Any input on this?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by MadMaxNH
I tried to get three dealers in NH to do this and the responses ranged from..No that is not possible to yeah we can do that but the ECU will spit out the change as soon as it is restarted. Is that last part a valid concern? I just find it hard to beleive that so many people have it done yet the Consult II will not be able to make a permanent adjustment to the ECU. Any input on this?
To say that this topic has been beaten to death would be an understatement. Your question has been answered a dozen times already. The techs don't know the difference between a 4th gen Maxima and a 5th gen Maxima. On a 4th gen, the ECU will reset itself. On the 5th gen, the timing advance will remain until somebody with a Consult II changes it again. Even if you disconnect your battery, the timing advance will not reset itself.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:21 AM

advanced timing; well worth it...i've definitely noticed more power...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:38 PM

This is to John J. Please send me an IM Or email me. I need your help in getting the timing advance. Hook me up bro
Old 05-10-2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by spiromax
To say that this topic has been beaten to death would be an understatement. Your question has been answered a dozen times already. The techs don't know the difference between a 4th gen Maxima and a 5th gen Maxima. On a 4th gen, the ECU will reset itself. On the 5th gen, the timing advance will remain until somebody with a Consult II changes it again. Even if you disconnect your battery, the timing advance will not reset itself.
True....at this point all we need is a listing of dealers nationwide that will actually advance ignition timing.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 PM

Well, I took the advice of the org members and went to my local dealership to see if they could advance my timing to 17. When I started the discussion with the service manager, he stated that when I shut the vehicle off, the timing would revert back to 15. I told him not according to 250 Max owners that have posted on the topic so far. He then asked one of his techs that said the same thing. After a couple of minutes talking about it, the tech grabbed the Consult II and went out to my car. He advanced the timing to 17, shut off the vehicle and restarted to find that it held 17 in the ECU, just like all the .org members had said.

Not to mention, I was surprised that the dealership did the timing advance for free, but I guess since it was a learning expereince for them, they really weren't out anything either way. I would suspect that the next customer may have to pay a fee, but I didn't. Nothing quite like training the Nissan Techs about there own product.

In the short drive back to my office I had a chance to test the update. It seems to have improved my low end considerably and it was awful easy to spin my tires pulling out of their lot. I don't know about better fuel economy overall, since I do believe you will want to test the acceleration over and over again!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by bvenvert
Well, I took the advice of the org members and went to my local dealership to see if they could advance my timing to 17. When I started the discussion with the service manager, he stated that when I shut the vehicle off, the timing would revert back to 15. I told him not according to 250 Max owners that have posted on the topic so far.
Same deal for me. I had to hem and haw with the guy for a few days before he would do it - but low and behold when I finally got it in today they were surprised - it worked! (unfortunately mine wasn't for free - though they only charged me for a half hour of labor - $32.50).

The tech who did it said that my timing was originally at 12 degrees - not sure if I believe that On hearing that news I was expecting a whole new car - but I didn't feel too much on the short drive home. I'll have to test it out more tomorrow. Maybe it's just too hot here right now - the temp is over 100, and the humidity is bad. My car was already feeling slower - maybe I'll feel it better when it cools down next week

Quick Reply: 17 Degree timing adv. Question