5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Which spring/strut setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Which spring/strut setup?

Hey guys,

This weekend I noticed that the rear struts/shocks are leaking on my dad's 2002 SE, and will probably need replacement soon. I'd like to take the oppurtunity to install some good springs, that will provide a stiffer ride and a mild drop. Suspension is not one of my most knowledgable areas, and (having already searched, read the FAQs, and browsed Eibach's catalog) would like to know what you'd recommend for my dad's '02. The goal is to some up with a spring/shock setup to drop it about an inch and improve handing. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Follow this and you will be amazed on how well Housecor did it.... it is truly amazing... step by step......

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/sp..._decision.html
Old 04-17-2005, 10:09 AM

EIbach's and Tokico blues (unless you want adjustable shocks then go with Tokico Illuminata's)
Old 04-17-2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by screamindman
EIbach's and Tokico blues (unless you want adjustable shocks then go with Tokico Illuminata's)

That's a good set up, but there's better, really you have to know what a person budget is to determine there suspension options, I think
Old 04-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxKlinger
Hey guys,

This weekend I noticed that the rear struts/shocks are leaking on my dad's 2002 SE, and will probably need replacement soon. I'd like to take the oppurtunity to install some good springs, that will provide a stiffer ride and a mild drop. Suspension is not one of my most knowledgable areas, and (having already searched, read the FAQs, and browsed Eibach's catalog) would like to know what you'd recommend for my dad's '02. The goal is to some up with a spring/shock setup to drop it about an inch and improve handing. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tony
Pretty much any struts and springs will improve the handling of an 02. It probably comes down to how much ya wanna spend and your personal preference as far as ride quality goes, since some people have higher tolerance for harsher rides than others. Tokico Illuminas come highly recommended by most here, esp since the stiffness is adjustable and you can adjust em till you're satisfied. Tokico HPs are good enough if the drop isn't that low and you're not gonna be needing the adjustability. Check out Housecor's site for the drop heights and if possible, find some local .Org guys and check out their set-ups to figure out which ones feel the best for you. If ya want moderate drops and nice ride quality, H&Rs, Maxspeeds, and Tein H-Techs have all gotten great reviews by many on here who have em. There is no "best" set-up that anyone can recommend, its really up to you to choose one that suits your needs best.

I have HPs/Progress springs and I think the ride quality is decent. Its a pretty low drop but it rides nicely still since the HPs aren't that stiff.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:25 AM

Yeah since it's my dad's car I'm talking about, I'm thinking a mild drop of about an inch or so and some springs that improve handling but retain a decent ride quality. Housecor's website is really informative and I'm going to have to look over it in detail. Thanks again for your help, and if you have any other thoughts, please continue to post them. I'm sure I'll be back with questions as I move along....