5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A NEW question about intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 AM

A NEW question about intakes

Hey guys..

This is just for my curiosity...I don't have an intake, I dont plan on buying an intake--personally...I don't believe its worth the money..but I do have a question.

I have seen some intakes which replace the stock equipment. However, the stock air intake (at least on my 01) is routed through the engine bay with the opening right in right of the car up against the grill. Coolest air coming right in.

Makes sense.

I saw one type of intake ( a pic from here no doubt) which was much shorter--less restrictive Im sure, but is angled so its right behind the battery. Sucking air from there can't be better than stock?
Old 04-19-2005, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its basically short ram vs. cold air. or warm air vs. cold air. the ones in the engine bay, short ram/warm air, make the air travel a shorter distance to the motor, so the gains there are different. of course, it WOULD be better if it wasnt behind the battery, but oh well. its better than stock because stock is just so restrictive, even if the air is colder, its not nearly as much air as the wai intake.

the cold air goes down into the fender. yes, giving you colder air, but now the air needs to travel further, giving you a different type of gain. all cars benefit from these differently, and everyone will give you their own personal option about wai vs. cai. vs the ghetto air box mod. but to be honest, most of us do this for sound and SLIGHT performance gains. i like the way my WAI roars when im on the throttle, and im not fooling myself about the gains. my butt dyno says i gained something, but my brain knows it wasnt much.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bones45
I saw one type of intake ( a pic from here no doubt) which was much shorter--less restrictive Im sure, but is angled so its right behind the battery. Sucking air from there can't be better than stock?
Just to add to what KC already said... the main diff there is that the stock airbox only has a small opening for air to come through and the filter is inside it, while the short ram filter is completely exposed and it just sucks in whatever air is there... and for gains... well, I'm not gonna go there...