5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

realmac's 2003 Black Auto Maxima SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:21 AM

realmac's New 2003 Black Auto Maxima SE

On April 8th, I purchased a Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE from Legend Nissan. The car has been good for the most part except for a few things.

-Small speck on my front windshield. Not sure if it was there when I bought it. I'm just hoping it doesn't grow to the point where my whole front windsheild cracks.
-One of my fog light casings is cracked. I can only tell upclose though.
-Small rock chips on the hood / some paint starting to wear away near the door frames. Wonder if I can convince nissan to repaint it or just touch it up. I could theoretically do it myself but I don't want it to look like crap afterward.
-Needs a new fuel tank. A few days ago driving I smelled gas. Then the service engine soon light came on. I tried to do a manual ECU reset, using the ignition / gas pedal method but was unsuccessful.

You may be asking yourself why I got the auto instead of a stick. Well one of the reasons was availability. The only manuals I found on Long Island were not from nissan dealers. That and I'm just more used to an auto..

Old 04-23-2005, 06:28 AM

A portion of the form for the part that needed to be ordered... It's covered under warranty. Anyone know offhand how much a fuel tank goes for?

Old 04-23-2005, 06:48 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Welcome to the org.

The speck on the windshield probably won't get bigger. I have a few small chips on mine and they have not gotten bigger. The glass is 'soft'...expect to get a few more.

Speaking of soft....that describes the paint, too. You can expect a lot of stone chips on the front end. Maybe your dealer would touch them up as part of the sale if you went back and told them you noticed the chips when you first washed it. Best thing to do is get a clear bra for the leading edge of the hood. The chips will be much less noticeable on your bumper cause it's black.

Wow, split seam on the gas tank? I've not heard of that happening on such a new Max. For sure a warranty repair. I have no idea how much an OEM tank costs, though.

How many miles on it?
Old 04-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice ride. dont feel bad if you have auto, theres more auto owners in this org than you think. fuel tank should be arould 120-150. my windhsiled has a very small spec/chip too, but it hasnt gotten any bigger, so im not too worried, just go to autozone or pepboys and get wind shield fixer. my fog light is cracked after a year of owning my car, and my front hood has two big chips where you can see bare metal, do you have bose? if you do you might want to change it to aftermarker HU, my speakers go in and out, sometimes muffeled. but other than that, i love my max and im sure you will too.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Welcome to the org.

The speck on the windshield probably won't get bigger. I have a few small chips on mine and they have not gotten bigger. The glass is 'soft'...expect to get a few more.

Speaking of soft....that describes the paint, too. You can expect a lot of stone chips on the front end. Maybe your dealer would touch them up as part of the sale if you went back and told them you noticed the chips when you first washed it. Best thing to do is get a clear bra for the leading edge of the hood. The chips will be much less noticeable on your bumper cause it's black.

Wow, split seam on the gas tank? I've not heard of that happening on such a new Max. For sure a warranty repair. I have no idea how much an OEM tank costs, though.

How many miles on it?
Thanks for the input. The car has about 35,600 miles on her right now. Nissan North America called me yesterday asking about how I liked the car. I happened to be driving at the moment and told them to call me back. Maybe I should let loose. They asked me at the service place if there was anything else wrong with the car. I didn't want to get charged for a new paint job, etc so I chose not to mention it to them.

I was looking at some articles on 3M's protective bra. The results are impressive.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by humble_max
nice ride. dont feel bad if you have auto, theres more auto owners in this org than you think. fuel tank should be arould 120-150. my windhsiled has a very small spec/chip too, but it hasnt gotten any bigger, so im not too worried, just go to autozone or pepboys and get wind shield fixer. my fog light is cracked after a year of owning my car, and my front hood has two big chips where you can see bare metal, do you have bose? if you do you might want to change it to aftermarker HU, my speakers go in and out, sometimes muffeled. but other than that, i love my max and im sure you will too.
I have the stock non-bose 6 speaker system and single disc changer head unit, which sounds pretty good to me. I'm comparing to an aftermarket kit I got for the Cutlass from Best Buy. The Maxima's stock audio has richer bass and produces higher frequencies more accurately.

I would like to hook up my iPod to the Max also, yet retain usage of the steering wheel controls, cd player & tape deck. I really need to run a search to see what kind of solutions everyone else has used. That windshield filler / spray really works?

Old 04-23-2005, 11:10 AM

Here is the car it replaced
Old 04-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Banned

Looks like you kept that Old car mint!
Old 04-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Looks like you kept that Old car mint!
Well overall it's in fairly good condition though it's starting to rust in some spots. It looks a lot worse now. I'm giving it to my mom, since her Bonneville has no A/C and has been unreliable lately.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Rob01ski

Nice car but i think a gas tank runs close to 500 buck or more just ask the guy at nissan cause 120 - 150 bucks is not likely

Old 04-23-2005, 01:22 PM

realmac, go to pepboys and ask for a windshield fixer, its not a spray, its this glue type epoxy filler, where if you have a crack, it fills it up so that the crack doesnt run further, it also works on chips. i dont remember the name though. for the gas tank, my old 240 needed a gas tank and it was 150. i think it was from a junk yard. so i guess you can look around. how is the gas tank 500? its just a piece of metal, that goes underneath your car. it doenst take any reaserch to make a freakin bowl for fuel...
Old 04-24-2005, 10:46 AM

realmac..

who did you talk to at Legend Nissan to purchase this car? Chris?

A-
Old 04-24-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew
realmac..

who did you talk to at Legend Nissan to purchase this car? Chris?

A-
Larry Levenberg
Old 04-24-2005, 11:59 AM

nice car have fun with it
Old 04-24-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Talyan03
nice car have fun with it
Thanks, I washed and waxed her today using Zaino products.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Yesterday it was raining and I was turning off Jericho Tpke into the parking lot at work. A woman in a BMW X5 was where I was trying to turn and wouldn't move, even after I waited a good 15 seconds and flashed my high beams. I didn't want to get rear ended, so I tried to quickly manuever my vehicle, but scraped my left right rim. My heart sank as I heard that abrasive scraping noise. Here is a pic of the damage to the rim and tire. Suggested course of action? Ignore it, try to get it repaired at a place in Farmingdale, buy a used rim?

Old 04-24-2005, 12:16 PM

Picture of the front after my zaino washing and waxing job.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:15 PM

that damage is easily fixable. i did the same thing notto long ago to my 19's heres a link of how to fix it: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368420
Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

wow i was feeling so special finding my black maxima. And now it seems there are a lot of people on the org getting new black maximas... i felt different until now, oh well nobody around me has one like me!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:02 PM

Here's another pic of the wheel just not zoomed in as much
Old 04-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Park2670
wow i was feeling so special finding my black maxima. And now it seems there are a lot of people on the org getting new black maximas... i felt different until now, oh well nobody around me has one like me!
I still don't see a whole lot of them around here on the island. The 5th generation at least. I see blk 4th gens all the time.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 AM

I've been waiting over a week now, Legend Nissan still doesn't have my part in stock. While I'm waiting, does anyone have an idea why a 2003 Maxima would need a new fuel tank so early in its lifespan. Some friends / family members said it may have been hit before, but I see no visible damage. The car's carfax report is clean too.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
that damage is easily fixable. i did the same thing notto long ago to my 19's heres a link of how to fix it: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368420
You will not be able to fix your wheel with the same process I used for the rims in that thread. Your wheels are powdercoated, whereas the rims that I fixed are polished aluminum.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:17 PM
retired moderator

a black maxima is just a maxima that will show all the stylin' paint chips more noticeably!

of course, I have more chips on the car than anyone else on the org, I would bet 10 bucks on it.....
Old 05-01-2005, 06:19 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by realmac
Here's another pic of the wheel just not zoomed in as much
seriously....that is really nothing noticeable. You will get other curb rash, trust me....the SE rims have a soft powdercoat and scrape easily - don't sweat it.

one thing I suggest though, is GET RID of those Potenza tires. As anyone here will tell you, they are about the worst tire in the world, especially if it rains or someone spits on the road in front of you.....try taking a fast wet corner with those and you'll have more damage than just curb rash.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
a black maxima is just a maxima that will show all the stylin' paint chips more noticeably!

of course, I have more chips on the car than anyone else on the org, I would bet 10 bucks on it.....
the chips on my glacier pearl probably show up better than yours thanks to the black primer (or bumper, i'm not really sure what it is) ... but i'm sure you have the most chips on the .org judging from your home page

Originally Posted by irish44j
one thing I suggest though, is GET RID of those Potenza tires. As anyone here will tell you, they are about the worst tire in the world, especially if it rains or someone spits on the road in front of you.....try taking a fast wet corner with those and you'll have more damage than just curb rash.
amen to that one! i still have the deathtenzas and i've almost gotten killed about 45 times in the rain...even going around a turn at 20 (yes that's right...twenty miles per hour), my car was hydroplaning and almost slid into another car...I was supposed to have gotten new tires about a million times now, but more and more financial crap just keeps on appearing out of the blue, and i havent had a chance...
Old 05-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
You will not be able to fix your wheel with the same process I used for the rims in that thread. Your wheels are powdercoated, whereas the rims that I fixed are polished aluminum.
I guess that would explain the slightly lighter color.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:56 AM

After waiting about 4.5 hours at Legend Nissan's service dept, my fuel tank has been installed. So far so good.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:16 PM

Is there a way for me to tell if the car had its 30,000k check-in / maintenance done and/or gain access to other service records? I mean I could ask the dealer, but I'm not sure if I trust them entirely right now. From my last service with another dealership (presumably the previous owner brought their vehicle there a few times), I found out about the following with that has been done to the car...

10/02/03 15113 miles - Body / Trim work
08/07/03 11931 - L/F Window Inop
08/07/03 11931 - Suspension
08/07/03 11931 - Complete Detail
Old 06-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Mass_Media™

Rub it in....jerk....

Don't worry about the rims....yours arn't that bad (even with the zoomed in pic I couldn't really see it)...I have seen some really bad ones....
Old 06-27-2005, 04:09 AM

Yo dude congratulations on your new max. I have two Black Maxima's 01 & 02. In the 02 you can feel the difference in the power that is why I now drive the 02 and my girl drives the 01. I have to take more pics for the summer

http://members.cardomain.com/lhercules1
Old 06-27-2005, 04:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah. I live on Long Island and have a black on black 02 with Meridian in a 6spd. I actualy wanted white or silver but finding a 6spd loaded is not an easy task. I had to drive to ALbany to get my car from a guy who lives in Syracuse. I found the car on Ebay for 13,400 and it was in excellent condition.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:16 AM

Congrats on the new Max. How did you know you had a fuel tank problem? Could you see the split or was it between the car and tank (not visible from looking)?

I have had a strong smell of gas in my garage the last week or so. We chalked it up to the jetski/lawn mower but now I'm not so sure. Could you possibly get a pic of the damage to the tank?

Anyone know if this would be covered outside the 3/36?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:22 AM

Hey man congrats on the Max ... it looks real good... as far as the chips go in ure windshield and fog light cover, I don't know if u fixed it wit some windshield fixure stuff but if u haven't, I heard if u put a couple of coats of clear nail polish where the cracks are, that will def. stop it from gettin bigger, and it will also stop water from gettin in to buy u some time until u completely remove the cracks...

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE

To be honest I doubt they will cover it but if u talk to the salesperson u dealt with and try to somehow butter him up u might be able to convince him to at least discount the repair a bit... but I really don't know , that would be somethin you could try though
Old 06-27-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
Congrats on the new Max. How did you know you had a fuel tank problem? Could you see the split or was it between the car and tank (not visible from looking)?

I have had a strong smell of gas in my garage the last week or so. We chalked it up to the jetski/lawn mower but now I'm not so sure. Could you possibly get a pic of the damage to the tank?

I wasn't able to see anything visually, it was a small split towards the top of the tank. Had it been more significant, I would have seen some gas on the ground after the vehicle was parked. I assumed it had been related to the fuel tank because of the odor I smelled while driving with the windows down. There is a difference between light carbon monoxide exhaust smell and there is the hey, it smells like gas right now smell. Especially with the wind blowing and the car moving.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:11 PM

Took out my incabin microfilter last night. The lack of its replacement leads me to believe that the 30k maintenance checks were not performed. I notice no problems with the car while, but do want to keep it in tip-top shape...

Ordered a replacement from Courtesyparts that will hopefully get here by Friday. In the meantime I'm driving without one and rolling down my windows. Also, I dropped one of the screws that holds the glovebox in place down in the hole between the metal frame and what appears to go down underneath the carpeting. I doubt I'll ever see that screw again. Think Home Depot would carry the same screw?

Before you jump down my throat, this is the first type of work I've done myself on either my Cutlass or the Maxima. The labor cost for the dealer to do it is close to what I paid for the part. Gotta learn new things eventually...
Old 07-05-2005, 12:44 AM

I also made a short 18mb semi-corny Quicktime movie.. http://www.therealmac.net/lj/max.mov
Old 08-19-2005, 09:54 PM

I've posted some high resolution pics of the car on my Flickr Pro account . Here are a few of the said pictures...
http://photos27.flickr.com/35504797_0cc922185d.jpg
http://photos23.flickr.com/35503781_785c87d3da_o.jpg
http://photos30.flickr.com/35503915_47ba15db18.jpg

I have about 39000 miles on what seem to be like the OEM tires. When would you guys recommend I change them. There still seems to be enough tread life left to last me through fall and winter, though the potenzas in snow kinda scare me.

Also, do you think a detail shop would be able to fix or lessen the appearance of spots where I tried to touch-up but still look sloppy and touch up other areas where there are noticeable scratches that don't go away with wax. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Replace those tires ASAP if they have that many miles on them. If not, you're asking for trouble in the rain or snow. IMO they're death traps after 15,000 miles.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Replace those tires ASAP if they have that many miles on them. If not, you're asking for trouble in the rain or snow. IMO they're death traps after 15,000 miles.
I couldnt agree more.

Quick Reply: realmac's 2003 Black Auto Maxima SE