5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine RPM dipping below idle when braking. Anyone have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 11:58 PM

Does anyone else have the problem of the engine rpm dipping well below idle (looks like 200-300 rpm) when hard braking? (yes I shift the car into neutral soon enough). It's quite annoying because the power steering pressure drops a great deal. Atleast I still have brake pressure though. I actually managed to stall it once when hard braking and turning at the same time.

If I take it in to the dealer they'll just tell me it's normal so I want to make sure it's not. I hate car dealers so much. I'm getting angry just thinking about going in.
Old 05-11-2001, 12:47 AM

easy way to get around this...

Originally posted by Daniel Ralston
If I take it in to the dealer they'll just tell me it's normal so I want to make sure it's not.
If a dealer gives you this line (it's their favorite), just say "oh, okay, so if this is normal then ANY car out on the lot here will do the same thing right?? So let's take one for a spin..."

When the car you take for a spin does NOT do it, there's your proof that your problem is not normal and then they have to do something about it... Dealers **** me off too.

Well, the problem you're describing is definitely *not* normal so I'd take it into the dealer ASAP. Just be sure that you know exactly how to replicate the problem and circumstances under which it occurs so that when the service guy (and you if possible) go for a spin you can get it to happen for him...

I'm obviously not well-versed on the Maxima, but could this possibly be part of the "fuel-cut" issue you guys have?? (pardon my ignorance if it's completely unrelated...)

good luck,
Old 05-11-2001, 02:40 AM

What you describe is possible due to the power brake booster-bleeding vacuum off the engine. I assume your referring to rather abrupt stops. It would take the ECM time to compensate for the sudden vacuum loss.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:07 PM

Actually the stops don't have to be that adrupt. I prefer the term deliberate. I guess I'll take it in and show them the problem or maybe I should take it in and look at the mileage to see if they even drive it before telling me there's no problem. The fuel cut issue is different.I need to get that fixed too.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:31 PM

SAME PROBLEM

I have the same problem, ever since i took my resonator out.
only it happens to me EVERY time the idle needle drops. Not only when breaking.
Press the clutch while driving in high rpms, without braking or turning, and look if it still drops below. maybe it's not only when u brake.
it effects my steering also. i tried turning the idle up a lil, but it still does it.
hope somebody will find the answer soon.
peace
Old 05-11-2001, 06:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: SAME PROBLEM

Originally posted by THEKNITE
Press the clutch while driving in high rpms, without braking or turning, and look if it still drops below. maybe it's not only when u brake.
it effects my steering also. i tried turning the idle up a lil, but it still does it.
peace
it happened to my car since my y-pipe. thought i was the only one with this problem.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:41 AM

Re: SAME PROBLEM

peace
I had the same problem on my car with no mods.
In the middle of a turn, the engine stalled (while braking
and clutch all the way in). Since the engine shut off, had no power steering so I almost plowed into the far sidewalk.
I went to the dealer and they adjusted the idle control
via Consult. No problems ever since.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:45 AM

Jashick

Do you know what exactly did the dealer do? Did they hook your car up to the diognastic first? and how did they do it?
I'm going to try to fix it soon, when i get my oil change.
Do u have any advise what should i tell them, or how to ask them to do it.
thnx in advance
Old 05-14-2001, 10:10 AM

Re: Jashick

Do you know what exactly did the dealer do? Did they hook your car up to the diognastic first? and how did they do it?
I'm going to try to fix it soon, when i get my oil change.
Do u have any advise what should i tell them, or how to ask them to do it.
thnx in advance
The mechanic (my friend) at the dealership hooked up the computer to the port underneath the steering wheel. Then ran some tests and basically did some idle rpm adjustments.

My rpm at idle is the same if not lower than before, but now it never stalls with the clutch in.

Tell them the problem straight up... that the car stalls
even when you have the clutch in when making a turn or when braking. Tell them that while you were turning, the engine shut off all of a sudden, and since you lost power steering unexpectedly, you almost crashed into the far sidewalk... that will prompt them to fix the problem right away.

good luck
Old 05-14-2001, 10:31 AM

Thanks a lot.

Thanx bro,
Same exact thing happens in my car, so if it helped you, it should be a solution for me.
I'll set up an appointment asap.
I was just wondering if u know, if there is any charge associated with such service.
thanks again.
Old 05-14-2001, 01:43 PM

Re: Thanks a lot.

Thanx bro,
Same exact thing happens in my car, so if it helped you, it should be a solution for me.
I'll set up an appointment asap.
I was just wondering if u know, if there is any charge associated with such service.
thanks again.
No problem.
I just hope you get it resolved.
Old 05-14-2001, 01:48 PM

JASHICK

WILL THEY CHARGE ME TO FIX IT,, OR WILL THEY DO IT FOR FREE?
Old 05-14-2001, 01:51 PM

Re: JASHICK

WILL THEY CHARGE ME TO FIX IT,, OR WILL THEY DO IT FOR FREE?
It should be under warranty.
I didn't pay a dime.
Old 05-24-2001, 02:14 PM

No good

The dealer said that my cone airfilter, and my exhaust mods are causing the problem, and instructed me to put all the stock parts back on.
i'm putting my resonator back on monday...
Old 05-24-2001, 11:24 PM

Re: No good

The dealer said that my cone airfilter, and my exhaust mods are causing the problem, and instructed me to put all the stock parts back on.
i'm putting my resonator back on monday...
Did the dealer even attempt to diagnose the problem with the computer? I'm guessing no.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:16 AM

:)

Actually, the dealer said they did, and that something came up hotter than supposed to, but i'm not sure what the mechanic did, since the problem is gone. it must of triggered the computer. hhee since the rpm's don't dip below anymore..
well, i'm putting the resonator back anyway, to tone down the remus a little bit.
thnx for all the info
peace