5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 07:12 AM

Newbie here. Be easy on me...

1300 miles so far, still testing how far you can push the car. Fun, fun, fun!

A couple of questions though.

The horn/airbag in my steering wheel column is a little loose. You can rattle the thing in it's housing. Tell me this isn't normal.

I've read here someplace that the service manuals are worth the money. True? I'm mainly interested in the CD-ROM version. What format do they come in? PDF? Can I only print out the pages I need, or do I have to take the laptop out with me to the garage?

I found the owner's manual in PDF format on Nissan's site, but I can no longer find the links. Very useful. Good thing I saved a copy.

Why in the world did nissan use white plastic for their moulding and bumpers when my car is grey? (Pontiac (GM?) uses black plastic.) While I'm sure you guys with light colored cars appreciate their choice, it's a ***** for me... (Touch up paint. $2.99 a bottle.)

I checked my tire pressures when I got the car, and the dealer pumped 'em up to 44lbs. I've seen other places recommending this as well. What's with this trend of pumping tires up to max? (36/36 seems to be working well for me...)
Old 05-11-2001, 07:25 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by KaxMaxSEAE
Newbie here. Be easy on me...

Ooooo... fresh meat. j/k Welcome!

1300 miles so far, still testing how far you can push the car. Fun, fun, fun!

A couple of questions though.

The horn/airbag in my steering wheel column is a little loose. You can rattle the thing in it's housing. Tell me this isn't normal.

I don't know if that's normal. Maybe someone can answer that.

I've read here someplace that the service manuals are worth the money. True? I'm mainly interested in the CD-ROM version. What format do they come in? PDF? Can I only print out the pages I need, or do I have to take the laptop out with me to the garage?

They come on a CD in PDF format. Yes, you can print out the pages you need.

I found the owner's manual in PDF format on Nissan's site, but I can no longer find the links. Very useful. Good thing I saved a copy.

Mind sharing?

Why in the world did nissan use white plastic for their moulding and bumpers when my car is grey? (Pontiac (GM?) uses black plastic.) While I'm sure you guys with light colored cars appreciate their choice, it's a ***** for me... (Touch up paint. $2.99 a bottle.)

I checked my tire pressures when I got the car, and the dealer pumped 'em up to 44lbs. I've seen other places recommending this as well. What's with this trend of pumping tires up to max? (36/36 seems to be working well for me...)

Mine is set at 33/33.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:50 AM
Got Bent?

welcome

the air-bag should not be loose. Mine is in there nice and tight....get it fixed by the dealer.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:05 AM

www.nissan-techinfo.com

That's the url to get to the site where you can download the owners manual in pdf format.
You can also order the CD's for the service manuals here, but they are VERY expensive.
Anybody know how to get the CD cheaper??
Old 05-11-2001, 08:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: www.nissan-techinfo.com

Originally posted by jazzy8
That's the url to get to the site where you can download the owners manual in pdf format.
You can also order the CD's for the service manuals here, but they are VERY expensive.
Anybody know how to get the CD cheaper??
Why don't someone order one and back them up for $15 each (for disc, electricity, service, and making a trip to the post office)?

Did I just say that?
Old 05-11-2001, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: www.nissan-techinfo.com

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Why don't someone order one and back them up for $15 each (for disc, electricity, service, and making a trip to the post office)?

Did I just say that?
Hypothetically, i would be interested in someone doing this. I know I would donate $15 for a back up CD and check my mail assuming it is all legal
Old 05-11-2001, 11:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: www.nissan-techinfo.com

How legal is it to make it a backup?
I may be interested in making backups? The Electronic Service Manual is very helpful.
But they do differ slightly by your VIN #
I am not sure what is different. But the website also shows different CD's for different VIN #'s. It may be for Cal spec. and Fed spec. (just an assumption).
Old 05-11-2001, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: www.nissan-techinfo.com

Did I just say that?
Ooh! Ooh! Do I smell a group purchase in the making?
Old 05-11-2001, 12:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: www.nissan-techinfo.com

Originally posted by y2kse

Ooh! Ooh! Do I smell a group purchase in the making?
I'm in!!!
Old 05-11-2001, 01:14 PM

Nissan Service Manuals

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX
The website also shows different CD's for different VIN #'s. It may be for Cal spec. and Fed spec. (just an assumption).
You're right. There are actually two CDs based on VIN. The CD I'd need is the one for VINs from YT0 12237, YT2 11681, YT5 27430 and YT7 40492. Does anyone need the CD for VINs up to YT0 12236, YT2 11680, YT5 27429 and YT7 40491?
Old 05-11-2001, 01:31 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hey now! I don't want to be volunteered to provide backups. I'm sure the person would be in the positive (in the $$$ category) after providing a certain amount.

Who wants to volunteer?
Old 05-11-2001, 02:01 PM

Hey now! I don't want to be volunteered to provide backups. I'm sure the person would be in the positive (in the $$$ category) after providing a certain amount.

Who wants to volunteer?
Old 05-11-2001, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by yongjun

Old 05-11-2001, 02:30 PM

Well obviously this can't be transacted over a public forum. So whether or not we decide to move forward, I'd recommend we continue our discussions in private. Here's how I suggest we do that.

Someone can set up a new e-mail account on Yahoo or Hotmail. Then whoever sets up the account can send us a forum e-mail with the address info. At that point, the account holder would moderate the discussion.

The next question is, who should set up the account? I'd suggest we ask the only person in this thread who knows anything about moderating discussions to do it.

So whatdya say, Kev???
Old 05-11-2001, 02:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

The next question is, who should set up the account? I'd suggest we ask the only person in this thread who knows anything about moderating discussions to do it.

So whatdya say, Kev???
That was hilarious! You should be a comedian!!!
Old 05-11-2001, 03:08 PM

That was hilarious! You should be a comedian!!!
Thanks. Was that a yes or a no?

Oh, never mind.
Old 05-12-2001, 12:41 AM

Max Owner's Manual URL...

Oh sure. I post something out here, and it turns into a software piracy thread. Figures.

I wrote:

Y2KevSE replied:
Mind sharing?
Found the link. Jazzy8 was right. They're on nissan-techinfo.com. This url points to the maxima owner's manuals in pdf, for '96-'01 Maximas:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptog.asp?dept_id=37

Why these aren't in the nissan-driven.com owner areas is beyond me...
Old 05-12-2001, 07:48 AM

Try this . . .

Originally posted by KaxMaxSEAE
Oh sure. I post something out here, and it turns into a software piracy thread. Figures.
Here's an idea that we could use to overcome the piracy issue. Maxima.org could create a library and hold a fund-raiser to support it. If Maxima.org is a non-profit organization, those who contribute could claim a tax writeoff for their contributions.

A recommended donation would be established . . . say $25.00 per contributor, and a goal would be established . . . say $500.00. If the goal is not met, all contributions would be returned. Monetary transactions would be conducted via PayPal.

Once the library is set up, it would purchase books, CDs and tapes of interest to forum members. These items would then be loaned out to contributors and non-contributors alike for a set period of time. Those who contribute to the creation of the library would be given preference over those who do not.

As an incentive to return loaned items, each borrower would have to make a security deposit via PayPal in an amount to be determined by the library. That deposit would be refunded upon the return of the loaned items.

The library would, of course, have the right to maintain a copy of all electronic media for archival purposes.

Last but not least, Maxima.org would need to designate a librarian. The individual selected would have to be a person of the highest integrity . . . someone who has earned the respect of their peers and who already occupies a lofty position within the Maxima.org institution . . . in short, a luminary and visionary.

So whadya say, Kev?
Old 05-12-2001, 08:31 AM

CD vs Printed version

$210.00 for the 2001 Maxima Service Manual on CD.
$275.00 for the printed version. How can they justify those numbers. Is the price meant to discourage customers from do-it-yourself-ability? (new phrase) Or is it a get-rich quick scheme. I mean, CDs cost pennies to mass produce.
Sure it is less than the printed version, but $210 seems excessive, unwarranted, unjustified, just plain wrong.
Old 05-12-2001, 02:24 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Try this . . .

So whadya say, Kev?
Uhhhhh....... I'm not doing this.

Ask Jambo, but I doubt he'll put Max.org at risk like that.
Old 05-12-2001, 04:12 PM

Re: Re: Try this . . .

Uhhhhh....... I'm not doing this.

Ask Jambo, but I doubt he'll put Max.org at risk like that.
You're probably right. But it sure looks good on paper!
Old 05-12-2001, 04:36 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Try this . . .

You're probably right. But it sure looks good on paper!
I can see it now...

WANTED: y2kse
Taking "donations" for "backup" copies of the Nissan 2000-2001 Maxima Electronic Service Manuals

REWARD: $25,000 DEAD OR ALIVE

Maybe someone will start up a group and form a mailing list... remember to keep it hush-hush.
Old 05-12-2001, 08:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: www.nissan-techinfo.com

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX
How legal is it to make it a backup?
I may be interested in making backups? The Electronic Service Manual is very helpful.
But they do differ slightly by your VIN #
I am not sure what is different. But the website also shows different CD's for different VIN #'s. It may be for Cal spec. and Fed spec. (just an assumption).
highly illegal but it can be a hush hush thing......EMAIL!!!!! private and personal
Old 07-27-2001, 12:33 PM
virtros

Re: Re: Re: Re: Try this . . .

group backup offer starting... for people who have a service manual and just need a backup copy Email virtros@cfl.rr.com for more info.