5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5spd vs Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 10:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a new Maxima SE w/auto and am wondering if an automatic SE versus a 5spd SE, who could win. I've noticed so far with mine that from 0 to 40mph i'm decently fast but after 40 you better whatch out cause the auto comes with a vengence. I've drove a 5spd before and they seem faster at first, like from maybe a dead start. But I feel if you have a rolling start you better have your game face on or the auto is gonna jump away. Either way I could personally care less cause i've owned 4 different standard vehicles and by far I like the auto better.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:15 PM

Now look what you've done!

UH OH!!! TAKE COVER! INCOMING!!!!!
Old 05-11-2001, 11:17 PM

A well driven stick will lay the serious smack down on an auto. However in an auto you don't have to worry about missing a shift or stalling. I still wish I'd gotten a manual.
Old 05-12-2001, 04:26 AM

I'm too much of a lamer these days to really race. The first week that I had my Max I had a guy in front of me doing 40 mph in a 45 so I decided to go around him on a yellow dotted line. Within 5 minutes I had a State trooper riding my tail like there was no tomorrow, I never even saw where he came from. I really don't know how some of you Max guys can get away with the type of driving that you are always talking about. I can only assume that the cops in your areas have better things to do then to hunt down driving violators.
Now when I was a teenager, things were different, I had no fear of the law. I guess they finally ticketed me into submission.
Old 05-12-2001, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by GXEme
I'm too much of a lamer these days to really race. The first week that I had my Max I had a guy in front of me doing 40 mph in a 45 so I decided to go around him on a yellow dotted line. Within 5 minutes I had a State trooper riding my tail like there was no tomorrow, I never even saw where he came from. I really don't know how some of you Max guys can get away with the type of driving that you are always talking about. I can only assume that the cops in your areas have better things to do then to hunt down driving violators.
Now when I was a teenager, things were different, I had no fear of the law. I guess they finally ticketed me into submission.
Oh, my point is, I'm happy to have an auto!
Old 05-12-2001, 05:38 PM

Just need to find the right places

I'd have to say that there are more advantages to driving a manual than a stick. A well driven 5-Speed Max would put down an auto any day. Plus, it's more fun driving a stick , except in DC rush hour .
Old 05-12-2001, 05:41 PM

Re: Just need to find the right places

Originally posted by Y2K1MaximaDevil
I'd have to say that there are more advantages to driving a manual than a stick.
can you be specific? i've heard that manuals are a lot easier to drive, but sticks to have better low end torque...plus you can launch sticks a helluva lot better than manuals

i'm just messing w/ you
Old 05-12-2001, 08:02 PM

just have too look around a lot and know your area well. don't do any thing if you really don't know the area at all.
Old 05-19-2001, 11:26 PM
BLOOSE

I have a 00 se auto and have raced my bro (97 se manual) from 60 to 100 and it was dead even. I know the 97 weighs less (so does my bro) but there's no doubt the standard will eat the auto - down low. I think from 100 to 130, I think I would win - don't know where my limiter is exactly, but I noticed when winding out the motor, I was catching ever sooooo slowly.

Old 05-20-2001, 12:15 AM

Sticks are traditionally faster from 0-75mph in almost any car, but after that an auto will run even if not better the rest of the way.

The only way to run with a stick consistently off the line is to get a shift kit and torque converter.
Old 05-20-2001, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RMcoolX
Sticks are traditionally faster from 0-75mph in almost any car, but after that an auto will run even if not better the rest of the way.

The only way to run with a stick consistently off the line is to get a shift kit and torque converter.
It is all about gearing and hp to the wheels. Fact of the matter is that there is less parasitic loss in the manual tranny than the 5spd. Our dynos have shown 190 stock in a 5spd to the wheels but only low 170s in an auto. So, leaving out driver error and assuming both drivers start at exact same time, the only way an auto will beat a 5spd is if it has favorable gearing at the speeds run.

For example, if the 5spd starts at 80 in 5th and leaves it there, and the auto punches it in 4th - maybe even drops to 3rd (assume no od), the auto ought to win because it has a better gear ratio than the 5spd.

But lets change this - say the 5spd starts in 3rd at 80 (~5000rpms and high up on its hp curve), I'm pretty sure the auto gets walked. Even if the auto drops into 3rd, it won't have a favorable enough gear ratio to overcome the hp difference.

Last, lets assume a 100 mph roll - both will have to be in 4th. For the auto to win, it will have to have a good enough gearing advantage to make up for the 15 or so hp it gives away to the 5spd.

I don't know the gearing, but it is entirely possible. I'm sure someone on this board can look up the gear ratios and tell us how they compare.

Still, I wouldn't expect a stock auto to be beating a stock 5th gen absent driver error given the hp difference to the wheels.
Old 05-20-2001, 10:34 AM

in a auto to manual race it is all about who gets the jump first!!! in the 5-speeds it all about where u launch them from
Old 05-20-2001, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by WILLSE
in a auto to manual race it is all about who gets the jump first!!! in the 5-speeds it all about where u launch them from
Well, getting the jump first doesn't have anything to do with which is faster from a roll. My point was absent driver error it is a matter of an auto overcoming the 5spd advantage in hp. Sure, driver error often results in an auto beating a faster 5spd.

But, if you pull up next to me like you want to race, I am not going to sit there in 5th. I usually will see you coming and get into the right gear. I've had the "cheapo race" before. That's where another car pulls up next to you for an instant, immediately hits it and gets 1/2 a car jump, backs off when he knows you are reeling him in, and declares himself the winner because he is a bumper ahead. That cracks me up.

Would you declare yourself the winner if you got a jump on a car and that car immediately began reeling you in? I don't think so.

H
Old 05-20-2001, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Well, getting the jump first doesn't have anything to do with which is faster from a roll. My point was absent driver error it is a matter of an auto overcoming the 5spd advantage in hp. Sure, driver error often results in an auto beating a faster 5spd.

But, if you pull up next to me like you want to race, I am not going to sit there in 5th. I usually will see you coming and get into the right gear. I've had the "cheapo race" before. That's where another car pulls up next to you for an instant, immediately hits it and gets 1/2 a car jump, backs off when he knows you are reeling him in, and declares himself the winner because he is a bumper ahead. That cracks me up.

Would you declare yourself the winner if you got a jump on a car and that car immediately began reeling you in? I don't think so.

H
i was talkin about from a stop..... and if i drop it down to second it will be close and i know that u will win i was sayin from a stop not a roll from a roll any decent 5-speed driver will win
Old 05-20-2001, 02:07 PM

no contest

I believe and I know dudes with AOD and 5-spd 5th gens that the automatic is no match for the 5-speed, barring any driving errors. Most magazines for automatic Maximas get 0-60mph in 7.6-8.1 seconds and quarter-miles of 15.8-16.1@86-89mph. For stick shifts, I've read 0-60mph of 6.7-7.0 seconds 15.1-15.5@91-94.4mph.

The trap-speed difference implies a huge pull on highway roll-ons and the faster 0-60mph implies an easy victory even with conservative launches on part of the manual-transmissioned Maxima.

However with optimal shiftpoints beyond the current rev-cut (for both manual and AOD), I think the automatic 5th gen will be a bit closer. The only way an automatic has a chance from 0 to 100+mph is to get a custom higher-stall torque convertor and add a cold-air intake.
Old 05-20-2001, 02:21 PM

Re: no contest

Originally posted by motectransam
However with optimal shiftpoints beyond the current rev-cut (for both manual and AOD), I think the automatic 5th gen will be a bit closer. .
Not sure I follow you there. I understand why higher rpms would provide better shift points (max hp is at redline so when you shift, you don't stay in the sweetest part of the powerband) but why would that benefit the auto more than the stick?
Old 05-20-2001, 02:48 PM

daddy

Originally posted by 1BADMAX
I have a new Maxima SE w/auto and am wondering if an automatic SE versus a 5spd SE, who could win. I've noticed so far with mine that from 0 to 40mph i'm decently fast but after 40 you better whatch out cause the auto comes with a vengence. I've drove a 5spd before and they seem faster at first, like from maybe a dead start. But I feel if you have a rolling start you better have your game face on or the auto is gonna jump away. Either way I could personally care less cause i've owned 4 different standard vehicles and by far I like the auto better.

oh NO daddy make it STOP

Old 05-20-2001, 02:49 PM

I can only assume that the cops in your areas have better things to do then to hunt down driving violators.

yeh that's mostly true here

they'll never do that to meeeeee!!
Old 05-20-2001, 02:51 PM

Re: Just need to find the right places2

Originally posted by Y2K1MaximaDevil
I'd have to say that there are more advantages to driving a manual than a stick.
Could you talk me through this one, very slowly?

Old 05-20-2001, 03:06 PM

Quit it already!! The manual is faster stock. Autos give more consistant numbers and are easier to drive. Maximas are great cars. End od story.
Old 05-20-2001, 03:13 PM

The 5 speed is potentially faster as it has less power loss and more ratios - BUT - an automatic doesn't require skill or planning.

Dave
Old 05-20-2001, 03:15 PM

Re: Re: Just need to find the right places2

Originally posted by MaineI30

Could you talk me through this one, very slowly?

t-h-e
a-u-t-o
i-s
s-l-o-w-e-r
a-n-d
l-e-s-s
f-u-n
t-o
d-r-i-v-e

slow enough?

(IMO of course)
Old 05-20-2001, 03:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just need to find the right places2

Originally posted by Max_Gator

t-h-e
a-u-t-o
i-s
s-l-o-w-e-r
a-n-d
l-e-s-s
f-u-n
t-o
d-r-i-v-e

slow enough?

(IMO of course)

Pretty slow, but apparently you didn't read what he posted slowly enough, coz that's not what he said.

Old 05-20-2001, 03:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just need to find the right places2

Originally posted by MaineI30

Pretty slow, but apparently you didn't read what he posted slowly enough, coz that's not what he said.

doh
Old 05-20-2001, 06:23 PM

Re: no contest

Originally posted by motectransam
I believe and I know dudes with AOD and 5-spd 5th gens that the automatic is no match for the 5-speed, barring any driving errors. Most magazines for automatic Maximas get 0-60mph in 7.6-8.1 seconds and quarter-miles of 15.8-16.1@86-89mph. For stick shifts, I've read 0-60mph of 6.7-7.0 seconds 15.1-15.5@91-94.4mph.

The trap-speed difference implies a huge pull on highway roll-ons and the faster 0-60mph implies an easy victory even with conservative launches on part of the manual-transmissioned Maxima.

However with optimal shiftpoints beyond the current rev-cut (for both manual and AOD), I think the automatic 5th gen will be a bit closer. The only way an automatic has a chance from 0 to 100+mph is to get a custom higher-stall torque convertor and add a cold-air intake.
well i raced a 5th gen 5-speed (that knows how to drive a stick so dont use that as an excuse) from a stop and i won once by a half a car and he won once by a car so its all about the jump...... it was a 1/4 mile race so say what you want i have alot of mods and he has intake, muffler, and springs (also has the bottle but it wasnt connected then) maybe my mods evened it out so i dunno it was real close!!!
Old 05-20-2001, 07:13 PM
RussMaxManiac

The 5spd is 1 sec faster period than the auto. You will see its tailights badly.

Old 05-20-2001, 07:15 PM
RussMaxManiac

Wrong.... A auto is weaker on the highway period and throughout the powerband. They have very tall gearing, the 5spd does not, and will keep the car in its power band. After 110-115 the auto won't accel very fast......compared to the 5spd.

Originally posted by RMcoolX

Old 05-20-2001, 07:18 PM
RussMaxManiac

LOL, you newbies obviously need to read more about the difference between autos and 5spds. Autos will never touch a manual car stock for stock same everything. Just will never ever happen.

Originally posted by WILLSE

i was talkin about from a stop..... and if i drop it down to second it will be close and i know that u will win i was sayin from a stop not a roll from a roll any decent 5-speed driver will win

Old 05-20-2001, 07:27 PM

i'm going to have to get back in this

you can make an auto faster than a 5spd, but if you do the same mods to both, the 5spd will come out on top

my last trip to the track, i went with icey2k1...he just has an intake but has a 5spd...my 1st run i had a 15.5 with a crappy launch...my next 4 runs my tires kept spinning...then on my 6th and final run i had a perfect launch and ran another 15.5...my engine was very hot (i felt my engine right before i closed my hood and burned my hand)...icey2k1 ran 3 times i think (maybe 4) and had a best of a 15.5...with my exhaust and y pipe, i feel that i can pull from a stock 5spd (except for the launch...but i feel that i can catch up)...i know in stock form, every time i went over 100 the needle went really really slow...if a 5spd is driven well, a stock auto max cannot take it...end of story...5spd's rule the day and everytime i climb into a porsche or ferrari at work, i yearn for a 5spd (or 6spd...)

russ, i don't know where you get 1 full second from...best mag time 0-60 for a stick is 6.7 and best 1/4 is 15.1...best mag time for auto 0-60 is 7.2 and 1/4 mile is 15.6

i will go to the track again in a couple of weeks and bring ice for my engine

too bad i will sell my car before winter comes around where i will actually be able to get good times...o well, maybe my next trip to the track i'll take out a lot of weight (door pannels, seats, etc.)

and losing by 1 car length in the 1/4 mile is a lot (about .8 seconds)...last time i went to the track, i brought my friend in his typhoon (or syclone...i always forget the difference...he has the blazer (SUV) version)...so i raced him a few times...the first time i didn't let him build up his boost and he ran a 14.8 while i ran a 15.6 (my 2nd race of the night)...he was only ahead by a tiny bit...my front bumper was even with his back bumper...our reaction times were almost identical...then i raced him a couple more times and let him build up his boost...his best time of the night was a 14.3...it was over 70 degrees outside and 6 runs really heated up my engine...o well...maybe gordon (maxae...i think that was your name, right?) will come with us and he has a 5spd ae max...we can get another 5spd into the mix
Old 05-20-2001, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
LOL, you newbies obviously need to read more about the difference between autos and 5spds. Autos will never touch a manual car stock for stock same everything. Just will never ever happen.

russ, i completely agree...stock for stock, there is no contest (unless the 5spd driver misses a shift)...i'm saying an auto has to have at least a few mods to be able to keep up w/ a 5spd driver

and as i was saying, in the winter months, since i was dead even with a 5spd in the summer, i hope to run very low 15s but i probably won't have my car then and i'll have to work on high 13s with the bimmer (14.4 sec stock)
Old 05-20-2001, 07:38 PM
RussMaxManiac

The auto maxima best tiem in the magazine I ever saw was a 15.9. I ran a 16.2 with heavy momo arrows at the track, when I put hte CAI on, I ran a 15.8...

Originally posted by MrBurner
i'm going to have to get back in this

you can make an auto faster than a 5spd, but if you do the same mods to both, the 5spd will come out on top

my last trip to the track, i went with icey2k1...he just has an intake but has a 5spd...my 1st run i had a 15.5 with a crappy launch...my next 4 runs my tires kept spinning...then on my 6th and final run i had a perfect launch and ran another 15.5...my engine was very hot (i felt my engine right before i closed my hood and burned my hand)...icey2k1 ran 3 times i think (maybe 4) and had a best of a 15.5...with my exhaust and y pipe, i feel that i can pull from a stock 5spd (except for the launch...but i feel that i can catch up)...i know in stock form, every time i went over 100 the needle went really really slow...if a 5spd is driven well, a stock auto max cannot take it...end of story...5spd's rule the day and everytime i climb into a porsche or ferrari at work, i yearn for a 5spd (or 6spd...)

russ, i don't know where you get 1 full second from...best mag time 0-60 for a stick is 6.7 and best 1/4 is 15.1...best mag time for auto 0-60 is 7.2 and 1/4 mile is 15.6

i will go to the track again in a couple of weeks and bring ice for my engine

too bad i will sell my car before winter comes around where i will actually be able to get good times...o well, maybe my next trip to the track i'll take out a lot of weight (door pannels, seats, etc.)

and losing by 1 car length in the 1/4 mile is a lot (about .8 seconds)...last time i went to the track, i brought my friend in his typhoon (or syclone...i always forget the difference...he has the blazer (SUV) version)...so i raced him a few times...the first time i didn't let him build up his boost and he ran a 14.8 while i ran a 15.6 (my 2nd race of the night)...he was only ahead by a tiny bit...my front bumper was even with his back bumper...our reaction times were almost identical...then i raced him a couple more times and let him build up his boost...his best time of the night was a 14.3...it was over 70 degrees outside and 6 runs really heated up my engine...o well...maybe gordon (maxae...i think that was your name, right?) will come with us and he has a 5spd ae max...we can get another 5spd into the mix

Old 05-20-2001, 07:41 PM

hmm...i ran a 15.6 bone stock w/ heavy a$$ stock 17" rims...when i take them off to put on my rsb, i will weigh them...with tires i think they weigh upwards of 30-40 lbs. each
Old 05-20-2001, 08:38 PM

russ, i completely agree...stock for stock, there is no contest (unless the 5spd driver misses a shift)...i'm saying an auto has to have at least a few mods to be able to keep up w/ a 5spd driver

and as i was saying, in the winter months, since i was dead even with a 5spd in the summer, i hope to run very low 15s but i probably won't have my car then and i'll have to work on high 13s with the bimmer (14.4 sec stock)
stock to stock i agree too but when u mod the auto u can win!!!
Old 05-21-2001, 12:15 AM

Why is it that an auto losses hp to the wheels versus a stick? Is it because of the gearing? Just trying to gain a some knowledge.
Old 05-21-2001, 05:04 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Menacer
Why is it that an auto losses hp to the wheels versus a stick? Is it because of the gearing? Just trying to gain a some knowledge.
it's mainly the torque converter. The TC is basically a clutch for the auto tranny. It is hydraulic unlike a mechanical clutch in a manual tranny. Since it is hydraulic, the power transfer from the engine to the tranny is not as good.
Old 05-21-2001, 05:48 AM
RussMaxManiac

hmm...i ran a 15.6 bone stock w/ heavy a$$ stock 17" rims...when i take them off to put on my rsb, i will weigh them...with tires i think they weigh upwards of 30-40 lbs. each

Your wheels don't weigh near what my momo's did

Old 05-21-2001, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Your wheels don't weigh near what my momo's did
yeah probably not...i've heard those momo's are heavy...anyone ever find out how much the stock 17s weigh? everytime i take them off, it feels like more than 30 lbs.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5spd vs Auto

In this car the 5spd is quicker overall. I had a 1999 SE with a stick but chose an auto this time around mainly because I know I will likely want to sell it within 2 years and I believe it will be much easier to sell, plus I expect to get a higher price. No matter which transmission I chose, I knew that there would be times that I wish I had the other. So if you want the advantages of an auto plus the acceleration advantages of the manual, just make up the difference with some upgrades. From driving both, I believe the biggest difference between the two is simply the acceleration from a dead stop to the shift to 2nd gear.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:45 AM

Re: 5spd vs Auto

me living in NYC.. i made my decision pretty quickly and easily... i took the auto cause its just too much to sit in traffic here with a stick... but i definatly wouldnt mind having a second car in stick to take out on the weekends and to other places when i kno its no traffic...

i heard my dad saying something about a M-Roadster... hehehe

i wish...
Old 05-21-2001, 09:08 AM

Does driving a stick in traffic really bother you guys? I've been in hours of bumper to bumper traffic and I don't really even notice the difference. If anything, it keeps you slightly more awake when you're sitting there.

Quick Reply: 5spd vs Auto