5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 Repeated Battery Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:01 AM

02 Repeated Battery Failure

Our maxima has had four batteries replaced in the last 2 years. Dealership
has asked us to have it towed each time so they can check the computer for
problems. Each time they state the battery has a bad cell and that the
alternator and starter test ok. What could be causing a bad cell in a
battery about every 6 months?

Vehicle was purchased on March 29, 2002. The first occurrance was at
11,488 miles on 07/08/03. We jump started and took to dealership. They
couldn't find anything wrong. Told us to have vehicle towed if happened
again.

The second occurrance was on 08/19/03 at 11,567. Vehicle was towed and the
original battery was said to have a faulty cell and was replaced.

The third occurrance was on 05/03/04 and 17,673 miles. We charged battery
and took to dealership. Again, they could find nothing wrong.

The 4th occurrance was on 05/27/04 and 21,488 miles. At this time we
expressed our concern about a possible alternator problem. We were told by
the service advisor that based on the intermittent nature of the problem
they would test the car all day and they would contact the manufacturer as
well. Again, they could find nothing wrong and they did not test the car
all day or contact the manufacturer as we had been promised. When we
picked up the car we asked to have alternator bench tested but they
declined. We offered to pay for a bench test of the alternator and if
found faulty they would replace under warranty. This was declined, stating
they could not do that because they couldn’t find anything wrong. At this
time we expressed our concern as to the warranty expiration and wanted
resolution.

The 5th occurrance was on 11/02/04 and 22,558 miles. Vehicle was towed and
the Hill Nissan again found faulty cell in battery. Said it was rare to
have back to back battery problems but could happen.

The 6th occurrance was on 4/19/05 and 23,298 miles. Vehicle was towed and
again the dealership found a shorted cell in the battery and replaced the
battery. This is the 4th battery. Seems if we jump start it they can
find nothing wrong. When it is towed they find a faulty cell in the
battery.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did you try any other batteries other than what stealership put in?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:16 AM

Firstly...you shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for this b/c you reported the problem early.

Secondly---I find it almost impossible that you got 4 bad batteries. I like the way the dealership says "get in touch with the manufacturer" THEY ARE THE MANUFACTURER!

There has to be some sort of drain on the battery somewhere. Are there any aftermarket loads on the battery?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:24 AM

Thank you for your response. There are no aftermarket items on the car. Last week when it was in for two days they said they checked the battery for a draw of 50 milliamps or more. Tests found a draw of .43 millilamp which is ok.
The car was out of warranty on 03/29/05. But they towed and replaced the battery under the battery warranty. The dealership says they cannot do anything since the tests are coming back with nothing. The service and shop foreman have both said they know it is not bad batteries but since nothing shows up they can't do anything else without the mfg. approval. Said to contact mfg. and get a case started on it then the mfg. would give them the ok to do something or send an engineer to look into the problem.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:53 PM

Sounds like alt/charging system isn't working properly. I think w/ 4 batt's replaced they should put in a new alternator.
Does the old trick of disconnecting batt with engine running still work on todays power hungry computer controlled cars?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:24 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Call Nissan North America, and have your documentation ready. Start a claim with them immediately. Get a case number, then return to the dealer. If they refuse to help you (or aren't able to help), go to another dealer. My entire family has not had that many bad batteries in 50 years. There is definitely something wrong with your car...and it's not the battery.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Loonee02SE
Sounds like alt/charging system isn't working properly. I think w/ 4 batt's replaced they should put in a new alternator.
Does the old trick of disconnecting batt with engine running still work on todays power hungry computer controlled cars?

Exactly where we asked them to at least START - do something - it is the logical place to start. We asked last May and as recently as last Friday but dealership says mfg. will decide
Old 05-11-2005, 07:41 AM

The Saga Continues

An update! We did contact Nissan on Friday April 29th. Got the case number. The dealership contacted the area rep as well. On Thursday May 5 the dealership called to notify us that the area rep had decided not to start throwing parts on it since they can't duplicate or find a problem.

Area rep advised us to ensure that we check the battery often and ensure it has water in it as that could cause the batteries to be going dead. Give me a break. With this decision they referred us back to Nissan.

We called Nissan Rep on Friday May 6 and our call was unreturned. Called them on Monday May 9 and no return call so at 4:30 we called and asked to speak to Nissan Rep supervisor. We had to leave a mssg. and were advised that someone would contact us within 8 business hrs. About a half hour later the Nissan Rep called. She said she would call dealership and someone would contact us Tuesday. Dealership called on Tuesday May 10th and said that Nissan Rep was going to talk with the area rep and the dealership op. mgr. to get an ok for an engineer to get involved.

This is our 6th nissan since 1986. We had 5 good ones and now this one. We are grateful for this as their response to this situation has been poor. We hope to get this one repaired but doubt we will ever own another after how this is being handled. We are in the same place we were 12 days ago when we filed a claim with Nissan.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 PM

Check the batterie when the alarm it's on. Maybe that's the problem.
I have a DVD and 1 lose 1 batterie because they use a constant 12v for the DVD player for the memory, i told them to install that i want the power only when the ignition is on and now it's ok.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by starboomer
The third occurrance was on 05/03/04 and 17,673 miles.

The 4th occurrance was on 05/27/04 and 21,488 miles.
1st off you drove 3815 miles in 24 days?!?! that's alot of driving.

2nd, maybe it very well is your alternator not charging the battery, and they're sheity computers are just reading the kinetic charge making it look like it's still working fine. If you don't get this resolved and have to end up paying for it, I suggest going with a yellow top optima battery, shouldn't die on you and you have a warranty with it.

good luck in your stealership quest. i hope they fix the issue.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2

2nd, maybe it very well is your alternator not charging the battery, and they're sheity computers are just reading the kinetic charge making it look like it's still working fine. If you don't get this resolved and have to end up paying for it, I suggest going with a yellow top optima battery, shouldn't die on you and you have a warranty with it.

good luck in your stealership quest. i hope they fix the issue.

Did they mis-diagnose the alternator??? I would have questioned it on the second failure.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:01 AM

Wait, its dying while your driving? or stop...restart and nothing?

Really sounds like a bad alternator. Perhaps its OVER-charging the battery causing a bad cell. Or its throwing voltage spikes.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:11 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

It is your alternator thowing high spikes....... and killing your battery. Turn it on and unplug the positive for a while. Turn it off, put back the positive and start the car. It should start right back..if not take it back abd tell them you want a new alternator......
Old 05-12-2005, 06:29 AM

I keep hearing about Crappy Nissan Service. That sucks.

Have you tried disconnecting the alarm 100%? Just take all the accessories off it and then you almost have to be left with the problem child.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:00 AM

Wow - that's a bad Nissan service story.

A good manuf./dealer would have done something after the SECOND occurance.

THere is NO WAY BATTERY FAILURE SIX TIMES IN A ROW IS COINCIDENCE.
PERIOD.
Take your car to a different dealership, or an independent shop.

I too escalated my Brake Judder issue to NNA, and had the same response after one month of constant badgering: no resolution.
They ignored me until I went away. Unfortunately, I did after repeated attempts to get them to service my crappy brakes.

Nissan is REALLY going down hill in regards to how they treat us for service.

My brother has an 02 Toyota 4Runner, and to date has had EVERY LITTLE problem fixed without question by the local Toyota shop.
I've been impressed by this, but i have NOT been impressed by Nissan AT ALL.
This is my second NEW maxima in 10 years.

My next purchase will either be a Lexus, Acura, or maybe an Inifiniti.

I have had it with Nissan's worthless service. The only answer I ever get when I take my car in, is "can't replicate the issue".
That is a joke.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:17 AM

I had experience with overcharging killing batteries, but it is hard to believe that a dealership couldn't find it though. You can test with a basic volt meter. Normally will show 14-14.5 volts at high idle. And another indication of over charging is the battery will loose water and will need refill frequently, if it is not one of the sealed units. I too have had no go good experiences with the dealers in my area and thinking of a Toyota for the next car. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:20 AM

Wow! I have a simular issue with my 2003 Maxima SE. It "killed" the OEM battery rather early (40k miles) and now with the new Die Hard Gold, i had to jump start the car more than 4 times already. The battery was always dead after car was sitting in the driveway for 12 hours or more.

I blamed it on my Audio amplifier in the trunk which should NOT drain that much out of the battery while sitting unused. I even replaced the amplifier with a new one (original one was Infinity BassLink combo, new one is Pioneer) but my battery died again 2 days ago. I had to jump start the car. There is nothin else running on the car. The only aftermarket part i have is the this amplifier. I checked the output form the alternator myself - the volt meter shows healthy 14V. Nothing unusual.

On a side note....i went to Vegas and i left the car at home for 4 days. I came back and it strated just fine. The battery was alive and strong. NO drain this time.

I am confused! What could be draining my battery so often...for no reason? Doesn't this car have "auto shut down" protection that keeps the battery alive if there is a constasnt drain?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alternator?

Is there a way to check if the alternator is faulty? I mean, besides bringing it to the dealership?? I just had the same issue - the battery died all of a sudden. Well, it was old - 1998 one and the car has about 100K miles, but I wanna make sure it WAS the battery problem, not the alternator
Old 05-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bones45
Firstly...you shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for this b/c you reported the problem early.

Secondly---I find it almost impossible that you got 4 bad batteries. I like the way the dealership says "get in touch with the manufacturer" THEY ARE THE MANUFACTURER!

There has to be some sort of drain on the battery somewhere. Are there any aftermarket loads on the battery?
the dealership is the factory, but we call techline to see if there have been any issues--when there is something bad going on with a perticular vehicle
that is happening alot, they find a way to fix it and put out a bulletin--or a recall.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The first occurrance was at11,488 miles on 07/08/03.
The second occurrance was on 08/19/03 at 11,567.
The third occurrance was on 05/03/04 and 17,673 miles.
The 4th occurrance was on 05/27/04 and 21,488 miles.
The 5th occurrance was on 11/02/04 and 22,558 miles.
The 6th occurrance was on 4/19/05 and 23,298 miles.

dude you probly got some kind of draw on the battery(something is using voltage while the car is off). but look at your driving habbits-you put about 80 miles between the first and second trip--6,100 miles in 9 months--3,800 miles in 24 days and then not even 1000 miles in 6 months--I've seen batteries die due to not driving the vehicle, but 4 batteries damn-see if there was a problem with your alternator the dealer should find it--and those batteries should be under warranty---the dealer has to submit results from the midtronics tester to get paid for they warranty claim. I know that i work for 1. the results would say charging system incident--normal-or excessive charging voltage. if it says anything other than charging system normal, we do more tests--usually end up being alternator--do see the occational some aftermarket shop put an alternator on and didnt tighten the nut on the alternator(the one that holds the cable to it) hell i have done it once myself. so if the dealer has not performed a test ask them to and to give you a copy of it. well got any more questions just as me