5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

new tails, need some input

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Isn't that a girl's name?

new tails, need some input

first, usually i dont care enough to be persuaded by what anyone thinks about my style or my maxima. often enough when i read a person's post about what modification or part to buy and install- i ignore it and let them decide for themselves.

call me a hypocrite for asking, but what do yall think about these tail lights on my car? the headlights are clear, clear sidemarkers and hyperwhites all around. these tails will also get the hyperwhite bulbs as blinkers and reverse lights- and the brake light will get red bulbs or a painted red lens.

the primary reason i purchased these tails is because the stock 02's are lined with a titanium/graphite paint and these are chrome. i didnt find myself wanting them because they were clear originally, but now i think they flow with the car a little nicer. let me know what you think
Old 05-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i dont like them at all. yes, they do flow with the rest of the clear, and your wheels, but its TOO much back there. if anything, either crack them open or tape them off and paint the brake light and the signal light red. that will keep you at least appearing legal and break up the giant piece of 'chrome' back there.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Not my taste, I think they just stand out a bit too much.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:57 AM

It's your car and only you have to drive it.... I like them. You can always switch back if you grow tired of them.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Not my taste, I think they just stand out a bit too much.
...........but if you painted the top half of the lens red it might look better. And to be legal you need some type of red reflector on the rear of the car.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:15 AM

Paint the top half red and it might look better. Oh, and that drop still looks hot.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:23 AM

yeah im not feeling those lights... i would open up the 02/03 tails paint the housing body color and try and do an LED setup... thats what im going to attempt once im done with school in a few weeks...
Old 05-03-2005, 08:16 AM

Don't really like the look either. Plus with all those clear lights you are begging to get pulled over. I don't normally think that clears on the front corners will get you a ticket, but since you have them all around including the rear turn signals you probably will.

I would suggest what others have, painting the top or even the top and bottom red.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Not to be mean, but I think it looks real ricey.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
...........but if you painted the top half of the lens red it might look better. And to be legal you need some type of red reflector on the rear of the car.
I agree otherwise it looks too ricey
Old 05-03-2005, 08:37 AM

thats what alot of dudes around here are saying too, that its too much. my original idea was to paint the top brake half red, like this. ive got to get my hands on some of that tail light paint. who carries it in stock?

those to me, look gorgeous. whoevers ride that is that i took the pic of, your maxima was my inspiration.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by luxbond
thats what alot of dudes around here are saying too, that its too much. my original idea was to paint the top brake half red, like this. ive got to get my hands on some of that tail light paint. who carries it in stock?

those to me, look gorgeous. whoevers ride that is that i took the pic of, your maxima was my inspiration.
I like the way that looks much more than just all clear. You should definitely paint the top red.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:15 AM

That does look a helluva lot better than all clear.
I used this paint to do my tails:
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/bulandtailli.html
Red of course...
Old 05-03-2005, 10:47 AM

can the aftermarket tailed be opened more easily then the stock ones???
Old 05-03-2005, 10:59 AM

unless i am wrong on this....i believe it is illegal for it to be all clear.
I think it looks good, but it might make people rear-end you easier during the day.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM

They look nice to me. Where'd you get them from?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:54 AM

got em on ebay, probably beat out an org'er at the last second too

but, sorry to say, i officially f*cked myself in the butt on these. so i decided- with the tints, and the rims, and the air bags, and the stereo- im already a target for cops. started painting the brake light red. aftermarkets dont use butyl tape as a sealant- they cannot be opened without cracking the plastic. i then resolved to spray them thru the bulb socket- as i had seen done before with varying results. the lenses arent separated completely- like a stock housing. the red paint bled thru to the chrome trim. i started with ultra light coats but wasnt getting coverage in the corners. officially shish kabob'd my own caboose with a rusty pry bar. goodbye $90 shipped, you win some you lose some i guess.

so in closing. anyone want to buy a mint clear LH tail and a fubared RH clear/red eye tail? $85 shipped.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:58 AM

got em on ebay, probably beat out an org'er at the last second too

but, sorry to say, i officially f*cked myself in the butt on these. so i decided- with the tints, and the rims, and the air bags, and the stereo- im already a target for cops. started painting the brake light red. aftermarkets dont use butyl tape as a sealant- they cannot be opened without cracking the plastic. i then resolved to spray them thru the bulb socket- as i had seen done before with varying results. the lenses arent separated completely- like a stock housing. the red paint bled thru to the chrome trim. i started with ultra light coats but wasnt getting coverage in the corners. officially shish kabob'd my own caboose with a rusty pry bar. goodbye $90 shipped, you win some you lose some i guess.

so in closing. anyone want to buy a mint clear LH tail and a fubared RH clear/red eye tail? $85 shipped.
dude dremel them open and clean the paint out then use some silicone to seal them back up thats what i did with my 03 lights but im not going to paint them i going to try to put some LED's in soon
Old 05-03-2005, 12:16 PM

haha dude your car is MAD low for arond our area man. You must have to adjust that everytime you go out of the driveway or a show lot huh?? oh btw i like that tails with the brake piece painted red. looks good for sure. Good luck deciding bro.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by skierxx5556
dude dremel them open and clean the paint out then use some silicone to seal them back up thats what i did with my 03 lights but im not going to paint them i going to try to put some LED's in soon
i beat you to the punch. im not the type to give up on anything. got them dremeled out, im gonna buy a plastic welder kit- which work great when you get the hang of it. im in the middle of cleaning paint up, my keyboard has fingerprints of thinner on it right now. skier- good looking out on the motivation.

nismo- yea i do have to lift it to get over the lip in my driveway, but im starting to like riding around with the bags all juiced. gives me a little bit of a mini truck bounce but it sure looks dope when i drop it at the redlights.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:49 PM

hell yeha i bet it does. You should go to marks auto parts car show sometimes. its everymondy. i can give you directions if you want. but im not sure h ow far away you live from me. Not alot of imports and or maximas. Me and my buddy both have maxes and right now im workin on getting mine to where i want it to be as far as looks go.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 PM

The top part red, that pic looks good.

leaving it all chrome looks, from a distance, like you got in a wreck and didn't get around to replacing the light yet.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:57 PM

i beat you to the punch. im not the type to give up on anything. got them dremeled out, im gonna buy a plastic welder kit- which work great when you get the hang of it. im in the middle of cleaning paint up, my keyboard has fingerprints of thinner on it right now. skier- good looking out on the motivation.

nismo- yea i do have to lift it to get over the lip in my driveway, but im starting to like riding around with the bags all juiced. gives me a little bit of a mini truck bounce but it sure looks dope when i drop it at the redlights.
where can you get a plastic welder that would work alot better than what i was planning on doing to seal mine back up!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:04 PM

those bags are hot how much were they and from where
Old 05-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Cletus

my opinion - butt nasty
the facts - illegal as hell
Old 05-03-2005, 01:40 PM
XGaSpAcHo

with the red on top they're not too horrible but i still don't like them too much.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 PM

I would say paint the whole circle red.....otherwise go back to what you had.....
Old 05-03-2005, 08:05 PM

Get the Testors transparent candy apple red in the model building section of Walmart. Like $3 and well worth it. I used it on my tails...
Old 05-03-2005, 08:05 PM

Luxbond if you're up by Sturbridge anytime soon I'll give you the second can I bought for free, I don't need it.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I thought they looked really nice but after viewing the red and white, I would def. go with that.
Contrast is good
Anyways good luck with ur ride
Old 05-04-2005, 03:24 AM

thanks for the motivation and compliments yall.

dj- i called a local paint shop, told them i needed translucent red and they mixed up a reduced version of GM sunset red and put it in an aerosol for $15. no shipping, no waiting, cash paid- it was mixed an hour after i called. future reference for anyone that wants to spray tails but doesnt want to ebay or .com it
Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey does anyone have some pics of a tail light paint job ? i have the lights with silver outline an the red and orange , and want to get the silver part black and leave the rest. i was thinking i could just stencil the cirlces and sraypaint the outside black. but thought that might look really ghetto . so I took out whole tail light today ,to try an spray it from the inside, but couldnt figure out a way to get to that silver part, even tried prying the clear case off but starting chiping peices. so if someone has some pics of a paint job like that or some other method , let me know. honestly , i just signed up on the org today and can t figure out how to post my own question . i been trying for a good hour or so too, so im not just being lazy. some org members have some funny stuff to stay . i have been looking up info about on the org since i bought my first maxima few months ago, and just love this sh**. i learned so much cool stuff and started taking a wrench to my whip. anyway, if you got some advice ....
Old 10-25-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by maxilopez
hey does anyone have some pics of a tail light paint job ? i have the lights with silver outline an the red and orange , and want to get the silver part black and leave the rest. i was thinking i could just stencil the cirlces and sraypaint the outside black. but thought that might look really ghetto . so I took out whole tail light today ,to try an spray it from the inside, but couldnt figure out a way to get to that silver part, even tried prying the clear case off but starting chiping peices. so if someone has some pics of a paint job like that or some other method , let me know. honestly , i just signed up on the org today and can t figure out how to post my own question . i been trying for a good hour or so too, so im not just being lazy. some org members have some funny stuff to stay . i have been looking up info about on the org since i bought my first maxima few months ago, and just love this sh**. i learned so much cool stuff and started taking a wrench to my whip. anyway, if you got some advice ....

Stick the lens in the oven for 20 mins. It will alow you to pull the lens off. You do know you woke up a 3 yr old thread?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so i pull out the bulbs, take the tailight off, put the whole thing in the oven at 200 for 15 minutes, and the clear cover should come right off ? what about starting my own thread so its current. how do i do that. thanks for the help , i noticed this thread was dated in 2005 after the fact . lol . but i got a hit !!!