5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

[urgent] HELP dealership is charging me for transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:31 PM

[urgent] HELP dealership is charging me for transmission fluid

HELP!

I brought in my car for warranty work on the transmission and I told them that the transmission had work done on it before but it was never fixed correctly the first time (I had trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd). That was all covered under warranty.

This time all they did was change the transmission fluid and they wanna charge me $127 + diagnosis fee ($95) I was expecting this to be covered under warranty and now they want $222?! They claim that it fixed the problem but i know that changing the fluid is only a temporary fix. WTH am I suppose to say to them? They also told me that it was not covered under warranty and they never told me that they were going to just change the transmission fluid. I need to pick up the car later so I need to know what to do!

Some background info, I have the security plus plan warranty that covers the powertrain for 100k miles and I currently have 78k miles.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Tell them to pump sand. And if they give you any static, go directly to the service manager and don't deal with the shmuck behind the counter. If that doesn't work threaten to report them to Nissan America or whatever its called, failing that the Better Business Bureau or whatever you have in your state.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if they did not tell you what they were doing the cannot legally charge you... they HAVE to tell you what the problem is. however, I think they can charge you the $95 fee to diagnose it.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:54 PM

to follow up, my GF had tranny work done on her old car and she only sent it to them to be checked out and they replaced some seal and tried to charge her $400, i told them to shove it and hand over the keys because they never told us the problem. the guy gave me some attitude and i threatened to call the cops and he shut up and gave them over. and they gave me a free seal
Old 05-04-2005, 07:04 PM

yea i just got back with my car. they took off the transmission fluid change from the bill but i had to pay the $95.

they told me to drive the car for a while and see if the symptoms are still there after the fluid had been changed. after driving the car i do feel that the transmission is smoother, but i can still kinda feel the slight grind/stiffness in shifting. seems like it only happens in the mornings when i first drive the car so i'll have to determine tomorrow morning.

i hope its still there so that they'll give me a new transmission

upstatemax: is your car still under warranty?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by okay
they told me to drive the car for a while and see if the symptoms are still there after the fluid had been changed. after driving the car i do feel that the transmission is smoother, but i can still kinda feel the slight grind/stiffness in shifting. seems like it only happens in the mornings when i first drive the car so i'll have to determine tomorrow morning.

i hope its still there so that they'll give me a new transmission
My gears are always "sticky" when the car is cold... esp 1-2... I thought that was normal...
Old 05-04-2005, 07:31 PM

well it was so stiff to the point where i'd have to slow down or skip the gear entirely and it was never like that before. and this only started happening after they "fixed" the transmission the first time.

this is off topic but i was just wondering if anyone knows if gas brands can cause your CEL to come on? about a month ago my cel was on and this last week it went away and i noticed that it went away when i started filling up chevron? before i was filling up at arco and the cel was always on. when i first started the car with chevron gas it went away? i'm gonna fill up arco again this weekend to test it out
Old 05-04-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by okay
well it was so stiff to the point where i'd have to slow down or skip the gear entirely and it was never like that before. and this only started happening after they "fixed" the transmission the first time.
I see... I usually just release the clutch all the way and then reengage the gear... works fine..., so I guess it might be more than that in your case... hope things work out.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 PM

umm kinda of off the topic but still tranny related.

Im in need of a Tranny fllush .Do you guys suggest going back to the Dealership ? or Going to a Tranny shop like AAamco (or whatever) and having it changed there ? also What kinda of ATF fluid works well with the Auto 2000 SE tranny ?
Old 05-05-2005, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by PRO - 1
umm kinda of off the topic but still tranny related.

Im in need of a Tranny fllush .Do you guys suggest going back to the Dealership ? or Going to a Tranny shop like AAamco (or whatever) and having it changed there ? also What kinda of ATF fluid works well with the Auto 2000 SE tranny ?
DIY... look in the Stickies of the Fluids and Lubricants forum for recommended auto tranny fluid....
Old 05-05-2005, 12:22 PM

^^ thanks puppet, acutally wasnt there a lubricant that everyone says that works well with the auto trannys? I read it up somewhere but cant find it the post anymore..(I dont have a search option)
Old 05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

What does the print say in the warranty?????? Can't really complain if you don't know the details of your own warranty
Old 05-05-2005, 12:47 PM

^^ thanks puppet, acutally wasnt there a lubricant that everyone says that works well with the auto trannys? I read it up somewhere but cant find it the post anymore..(I dont have a search option)
What about this thread?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=149056
Old 05-05-2005, 10:17 PM

Thanks puppet ... Amsoil was the name of the stupid ATF fluid. How many would use the Amsoil VS. Mobli 1? I think my SES light setting off because of a tranny issue.

I check the fliud level and it wasnt anywhere near where it was suppose to be. So im really hoping a tranny flush will do. I just want to add I brought this max about 7 months ago or so. I havent really gotten into the motor to really check anything.

anyways thanks Puppet .
Old 05-06-2005, 12:54 AM

Word......I have always had a nochy tranny especially when it is cold. My first and second have always give me a little bit of a headache but it goes away in like 5 minutes so i have always ignored it. JUST ONE OF THOSE NISSAN THINGS
Old 05-06-2005, 04:17 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Thanks puppet ... Amsoil was the name of the stupid ATF fluid. How many would use the Amsoil VS. Mobli 1? I think my SES light setting off because of a tranny issue.

I check the fliud level and it wasnt anywhere near where it was suppose to be. So im really hoping a tranny flush will do. I just want to add I brought this max about 7 months ago or so. I havent really gotten into the motor to really check anything.

anyways thanks Puppet .
If you are doing it yourself you can follow my write up... see Sig
Old 05-07-2005, 12:15 AM

^^ yeah I acutally ran into your page for that. thanks for the write up and pics. Now its finding time to do this.