5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

D2's Installed **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

D2's Installed **PICS**

Installed my D2's. Many thanks to MAXimumHP for the use of his place and tools. I had been running Maxspeeds.

I didn't get many pics and the lighting/angle is not that good, but you'll get the idea.

Here's the measurements (ground to top of fender well):
Before: Front - 26 5/8"
Rear - 26 7/8"
After: Front - 25 1/4"
Rear: 25 1/2"

Before pic:

After:

Whacha think?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

Looks damn good!! Hows the ride?? Any different?
Old 05-08-2005, 04:01 AM

Are the coilovers making any noises? Looks great.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:51 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

SgtSchulze: The ride is tighter, but surprisingly good on smooth roads. On bumpy roads, it's fairly rough. I still need to experiment with the damper settings.

Wazzzzuup: Yeah, I've got that clicking noise in the left front. Once in a while when turning, but more when I first apply the brakes, or when quickly accelerating. It's not from the pillow *****. Some type of metallic 'click'. I need to make sure the allen bolts on the bottom are tight enough. MAXimumHP and I thought it might be from where the threaded part goes into the bottom mount.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks great, Tom... esp since ya have 19s.... enjoy that improved handling!
Old 05-08-2005, 06:27 AM

Somebody is trying to jack my look , looks great man
Old 05-08-2005, 06:29 AM

Looks good really good i love the rims
Old 05-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Looks great, Tom... esp since ya have 19s.... enjoy that improved handling!
Thanks.......but they're only 18's

With the increased drop, they DO look a bit larger.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Thanks, but you got me beat in the drop measurement. How much are you lowered?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Wazzzzuup: Yeah, I've got that clicking noise in the left front. Once in a while when turning, but more when I first apply the brakes, or when quickly accelerating. It's not from the pillow *****. Some type of metallic 'click'. I need to make sure the allen bolts on the bottom are tight enough. MAXimumHP and I thought it might be from where the threaded part goes into the bottom mount.
i have had mine in for about a week and a half. they started out with no noise, then some. theni eliminated all the pre-load, and it came back twice as bad a few days later....i am going to mess around with the preload some more, however i have the feeling i might have to take apart the pillowball and re-lube it.

edit: my alan bolts are tight and it still makes the noise, it sounds like it is the spring popping around.

it sounds like we are having the same noise. i get it when i turn, hit the brakes or accelerate, well i guess almost always then. i am going to look them over again this morning and if everything looks good i am going to be calling UI on monday and ask them what it going on.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:20 AM

Damn beautiful drop. Only wish I could do that on NYC roads.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Damn beautiful drop. Only wish I could do that on NYC roads.
Thanks, Mac. I hear ya about bad roads. Generally the roads are pretty good here, but there are some that I'll go out of my way to avoid now.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by upstatemax
i have had mine in for about a week and a half. they started out with no noise, then some. theni eliminated all the pre-load, and it came back twice as bad a few days later....i am going to mess around with the preload some more, however i have the feeling i might have to take apart the pillowball and re-lube it.

edit: my alan bolts are tight and it still makes the noise, it sounds like it is the spring popping around.

it sounds like we are having the same noise. i get it when i turn, hit the brakes or accelerate, well i guess almost always then. i am going to look them over again this morning and if everything looks good i am going to be calling UI on monday and ask them what it going on.
Sure looks like we're experiencing the same stuff.

I was thinking about spraying a bit of white lithium grease into the threads of the shock tube where the bottom mount screws on, then tightening those allen bolts really good.

When MAXimumHP and another guy listened to the noise (just turning the wheel parked in the driveway) they said it wasn't coming from the pillow ball. I have not lubed that at all yet thinking the noise was not coming from there. We did not loosen the top nut before installing them....did you?

I was thinking the same thing about contacting UI if it continues.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:57 AM

Thanks.......but they're only 18's

With the increased drop, they DO look a bit larger.

They do look larger for some reason... either way... everything looks great...
Old 05-08-2005, 08:59 AM

looks very sharp
Old 05-08-2005, 09:15 AM
OG and counting...

Nice job, Blues.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

nice drop... and nice ride
Old 05-08-2005, 09:23 AM

Looks great Blu! Where's the next meet option?

Later,
Old 05-08-2005, 09:25 AM
mjg

bluesbreker;

hey what's up man, long time.

your car looks great with that drop.... When i got some money i'd maybe like to go with coil overs, my suspension is feeling a bit beatup lately (though i did put it through lots of hell haha).
Old 05-08-2005, 09:32 AM

Thanks, but you got me beat in the drop measurement. How much are you lowered?
About 3.5" inches in front and 3" in the rear.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 AM

The ride is tighter, but surprisingly good on smooth roads. On bumpy roads, it's fairly rough. I still need to experiment with the damper settings.
Blues, you really have to put together a good comparison of Maxspeeds to D2's. I need to replace my Maxspeeds and have been considering the D2's or a H-Tech/Illumina combo. Driving aggressively with worn stock shocks and crappy Maxspeeds is really driving me nuts.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I like the look. Just have to get rid of those clicking sounds.

.45 - check the upper midwest thread. Fishing meet on the 21st near Wis. Dells.

Chris - you got me beat by about 3/4" all around

Lumbee - I had the stock struts with the Maxspeeds and the struts were in poor shape. With the D2's the differences were very apparent. (and I've had them on for only 24 hours) Much better control, much less body roll (seems to corner like a slot car) less 'squatting' when accelerating. I'll let them settle in and tweak the dampening within the next week. At that time I'll have a better idea of the true differences.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:29 AM

Looks Awesome
Old 05-08-2005, 01:10 PM

looks soo nice man i cant wait to do my suspension now
Old 05-08-2005, 01:22 PM

****, that is ill
Old 05-08-2005, 01:46 PM

looks nice, do you have any trouble getting around? like bottoming out? new jersey isnt the best place to get coliovers, the roads are horrible, and if your car is lowered you cant go anywhere since there are so many dips, and some entrance ramps are so steep (gas stations, deli..). but the drop is sweet...
Old 05-08-2005, 02:56 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

any noises tom?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I miss the .org!

Looks great! Sorry to hear about the noise issues...pretty much why I haven't bought them yet either...
Old 05-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by slimer
any noises tom?
See post 4 and 13.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:54 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I experience the spring poping noises out of my right front every 3 weeks it seems like. I have JIC FLTA2s and not D2s but I have a feeling we have the same problems. I have a fix for it, I think. I did it with my old Ground Controls and Konis and it fixed all my spring clunking. On my car it happens when I turn at low speeds- up to 15MPH. I will let ya know how my fix goes. It kinda sucks driving out of a restaurant or mall with people walking by checking out my car and then hearing the spring go CLUNK. Sounds like a OLD mattress bed :P
Old 05-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I experience the spring poping noises out of my right front every 3 weeks it seems like. I have JIC FLTA2s and not D2s but I have a feeling we have the same problems. I have a fix for it, I think. I did it with my old Ground Controls and Konis and it fixed all my spring clunking. On my car it happens when I turn at low speeds- up to 15MPH. I will let ya know how my fix goes. It kinda sucks driving out of a restaurant or mall with people walking by checking out my car and then hearing the spring go CLUNK. Sounds like a OLD mattress bed :P
Great! Let me(us) know if that fix works......
Old 05-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by humble_max
looks nice, do you have any trouble getting around? like bottoming out? new jersey isnt the best place to get coliovers, the roads are horrible, and if your car is lowered you cant go anywhere since there are so many dips, and some entrance ramps are so steep (gas stations, deli..). but the drop is sweet...
No trouble yet. The roads here are pretty good and there are not a lot of steep driveways and entrance ways. I haven't scrapped yet, but I've only had them on for a day.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

The metallic clicking, does it sound like a spring creaking? That would be my guess when you are experiencing it during low-speed turns. I had the same sound with my D2's and all I did was put heavy grease between the spring and both top and bottom perches. It eliminated that noise, but you probably have to do it a couple times a year.

I still am having small clunking noises, but I think it's the top pillowball mounts. I plan to work on my D2's the next weekend. I also got some aftermarket spring isolaters since the ones from D2 don't quite fit. Hopefully they will work out better.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by foodmanry
The metallic clicking, does it sound like a spring creaking? That would be my guess when you are experiencing it during low-speed turns. I had the same sound with my D2's and all I did was put heavy grease between the spring and both top and bottom perches. It eliminated that noise, but you probably have to do it a couple times a year.

I still am having small clunking noises, but I think it's the top pillowball mounts. I plan to work on my D2's the next weekend. I also got some aftermarket spring isolaters since the ones from D2 don't quite fit. Hopefully they will work out better.
Thanks for the info. I was sort of following your/larrio's thread about the D2's but it got pretty long. I was thinking the same thing about the spring perches. Did you use white lithium grease? I have the tub and the spray.

I thought of spraying a bit on the pillow ball too. I haven't noticed any noise from there, though. Even though the nut is on very tight, I was able to move the mount around before I installed them.

What about the pre-loading of the springs? How much did you do? I was thinking that too much or too little might contribute to the noise.

Man, I sure wish these things came with some directions....
Old 05-08-2005, 08:29 PM

Sure looks like we're experiencing the same stuff.

I was thinking about spraying a bit of white lithium grease into the threads of the shock tube where the bottom mount screws on, then tightening those allen bolts really good.

When MAXimumHP and another guy listened to the noise (just turning the wheel parked in the driveway) they said it wasn't coming from the pillow ball. I have not lubed that at all yet thinking the noise was not coming from there. We did not loosen the top nut before installing them....did you?

I was thinking the same thing about contacting UI if it continues.
i fooled around with them again today and i noticed that the alan screws loosened a bit and the metalic clinking was coming from the lower bracket. i tightened them down really hard and it went away and now it is back a little bit...

i am going to have to try the heavy grease on the top and bottom of the spring as well. i will be calling UI to talk to them about the noise as well.

i was really expecting them to have taken care of the noise issue this time around.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by chris'smax

ouch I shouldnt post pics then Chris.. I might hurt your feelings J/K
Old 05-08-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by PRO - 1
ouch I shouldnt post pics then Chris.. I might hurt your feelings J/K

Nah, looking at my shinny headers and the feeling of 13psi pulling me back in my seat is more than enough comfort
Old 05-08-2005, 10:25 PM

hehhe You got me there on that one.. I might end up adding some juice... But belive me Chris.. If this was 2001 I would have a nice Shiny T3/To4 in my Ka Altima..a Nice shiney R33 Intercooler and a blue bottle (just for show and to waste all that n2o to purge and scare the hell out of S2000 owners) then it would be on *wink*

But the speed bug been dead.. plus my insurance rates is getting a wee bit better... so is having to deal with the boys in blue all the damn time alot less and attention with a Car that doesnt sounds likes its on steriods. I think a lil jucie is enough for hwy to mess with all my friends that have a G or a Z
Old 05-09-2005, 10:43 AM

Looks really good Tom.
Derek was saying as you backed out that your car looked bad @ss, and he's a honda guy. I'd have to agree.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

OK, here's an update....I had terrible clunking and banging noises from the rear today. Turns out the top center nuts on both sides had come loose and the strut shaft was barely attached. Tightened them both up and the noise (obviously) went away. I hadn't thought to check how tight they were when I installed them.

Also sprayed a bit of white lithium grease on the pillow *****. Took it out and thus far the clicking spring type noise is gone. We'll see if it's still quiet tomorrow.

Quick Reply: D2's Installed **PICS**