5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Catback? Just B-Pipe? Just Y-Pipe?
Get Cattman catback
30.00%
Get Cattman B-Pipe
30.00%
Get Frankencar catback
5.00%
Get Frankencar B-Pipe
0%
All you need is the Y-Pipe
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Catback? Just B-Pipe? None of the above?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Catback? Just B-Pipe? None of the above?

I was looking to get some input on which direction to go with my exhaust since I got some cash saved up for my summer ‘mod-o-thon’. Basically, I am looking to see if in your opinion, if it is worth it to buy the whole Cattman catback, just buy the b pipe, or nothing (just get the y-pipe). Or go the Frankencar route. I will be installing a Cattman y pipe during the summer as well. I am a daily driver driving roughly 300-400 miles a weak. A few Honda kills every now and then, but not many. I do not want much noise; although, I have heard sound clips of both they do just do much justice because the clips can only give you a small sample. Try and give an idea of loudness (1 being stock and 10 being a super rice rocket). PLEASE POST WHY YOU VOTED. Thanks!!!

Get Cattman catback
Get Cattman B-Pipe
Get Frankencar catback
Get Frankencar B-Pipe
All you need is the Y-Pipe
Why not get the new Cattman Headers
Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=SixxOne]I was looking to get some input on which direction to go with my exhaust since I got some cash saved up for my summer ‘mod-o-thon’. Basically, I am looking to see if in your opinion, if it is worth it to buy the whole Cattman catback, just buy the b pipe, or nothing (just get the y-pipe). Or go the Frankencar route. I will be installing a Cattman y pipe during the summer as well. I am a daily driver driving roughly 300-400 miles a weak. A few Honda kills every now and then, but not many. I do not want much noise; although, I have heard sound clips of both they do just do much justice because the clips can only give you a small sample. Try and give an idea of loudness (1 being stock and 10 being a super rice rocket). PLEASE POST WHY YOU VOTED. Thanks!!!

I have cattback catman on my own so it's way to go. I like it.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:14 PM

This is my input: Even though I don't have any personal first-hand experience with the Cattman setups, from what I've gathered and from the soundclips I've seen/heard, they're slightly louder than FC's stuff. The Mossy/Cattman is still nice but the rear section seems a bit raspier and in general the whole setup seems slightly louder. I'm sure if you just got a b pipe it would just be slightly deeper than stock. Frankencar I know is nice, heavy, but nice. If weight isn't an issue (and it really isn't that much heavier I don't know why people make a big deal over it) and you want quietest setup w/o sacrificing performance, I'd have to say FC. Who knows Cattman might give you 1whp over the FC but from what I can tell, it's a lil louder. I couldn't be happier with the FC b pipe, high quality flanges and welds, slick lookin badge on the resonator... FC's definitely turned around from their sub-par reputation a few years back,
Old 05-09-2005, 12:25 PM

I don't have any experience with FC. I put a Cattman b-pipe on mine first and noticed not much difference in sound or performance. I then added the Cattman y-pipe and kept the stock muffler and I picked up some mid range performance and a little deeper growl from the exhaust. I probably will add the Cattman rear section before too long. On your scale of sound (1 = stock, 10 = rice), I'm about 3. I didn't go with FC because I tried to get hold of someone and could not get any response after about 3-4 phone calls and several e-mails. Also, I've heard that the rear section is a little larger (clearance ?) and a little heavier (looks great, tho'). I voted for Cattman y-pipe only because I've heard that that is where the most gains are. Just my .02.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:48 PM

IF you're gonna go the whole route eventually, get the y-pipe first. First, that will give ya the most gains for your money. Second, because it does significantly affect volume, you will have a better basis upon which to figure out how ya want to proceed with the cat-back.

For example, if ya got a Cattman cat-back, which isn't too loud on its own per se, but added a y-pipe later and then found that it was too loud, then you're kinda in a bad spot. But if ya added a y-pipe first, and then realized that it was already pretty loud, then you would know to just say add a well resonated b-pipe (either Cattman or FC) and then keep the stock rear section for maximum sound dampening, or maybe even the FC cat-back. And if its not loud enough, then add the Cattman. I personally think this is the best approach.

From personal experience, I have the Cattman y-pipe and Frankencar cat-back and it is pretty quiet. Its a rougher, raspier, sounding idle and it has a nice tone to it. Definitely not obnoxious at all. I recently took off the y-pipe and the FC cat-back sounds almost stock except for a lower exhaust tone, nothing too loud, but enough to know something is there. I like my set-up, but I also like the Cattman rear section, from the clips I've heard, its a more aggressive sound (but not like the GReddy), and even though its amplified with a y-pipe or headers, it is still pretty "classy" and not rice.

Search for BlackbirdVQ's thread with sound clips of his Mossy with headers, a Cattman with y-pipe will sound pretty close to that. Also check out Frankencar's website, there are 2 clips of the cat-back with headers and without.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Seems Frankencar may be what I am looking for. How loud would the cattman be with y pipe and catback on a scale of 1-10 (1 being stock)? cattman y-pipe with FC catback? Sorry to repost, but I have never heard these setups in person.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:25 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i have y-pipe with FC b-pipe, sounds great to me. IMO, putting on a aftermarket muffler would ruin the sound I have now.

and if you doubt just a b-pipe in addition to your y-pipe will add any hp/tq go here and look at the dynos for evidence: www.motorvate.ca
Old 05-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by SixxOne
Seems Frankencar may be what I am looking for. How loud would the cattman be with y pipe and catback on a scale of 1-10 (1 being stock)? cattman y-pipe with FC catback? Sorry to repost, but I have never heard these setups in person.
This is a very personal thing... its gonna sound different to different people...

Anyways, here's my experience, on your scale:

FC cat-back alone is 2/10.
FC with the y-pipe is 4/10.
GReddy cat-back with no y-pipe is 7/10.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the FC cat back only. Idle sounds stock, nice low tone when driving, barely noticeable.

Pedro
Old 05-10-2005, 05:49 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Resonated B pipe and stock muffler
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SixxOne
I have the Cattman Catback w/ the y pipe. It sounded pretty close to stock w/ just the y pipe. Then when I put on the catback, it got a lot louder. I'd say it's a 6/10. I'm looking to change the rear section to a frankencar to keep the wife happy.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:45 PM

i dunno i like the look of the FC rear section anyway, can't complain about resonated tips can we?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:37 PM

i think I am just going to wait until new cattman headers come out. And the catback will be on hold for a while. Catback plus y pipe = 950. Headers won't be more than 950.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:23 PM

b-pipe, catback....all there to make a better (or noiser) sound. Minimal gains in terms of hp (~2-3)
Old 05-11-2005, 07:54 PM

for the most for your money i'd just get a b pipe and y pipe and call it a day..
Old 05-12-2005, 05:29 PM

i have ordered the whole catback because i have heard they are the best in the feild for this app and they are quiet. My old car had a nice deep(non ricey) pipe and i look forward to having the deep growl. One thing i considered as food for thought is what kind of looks your are goin for. Cattman looks invisible to the naked eye unless you are looking and/or know what you are looking for
Old 05-12-2005, 05:43 PM

wouldnt matching the stock muffler to an aftermarket b-pipe be restrictive since the pipe diameters are different?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shogunsc4
wouldnt matching the stock muffler to an aftermarket b-pipe be restrictive since the pipe diameters are different?
That's why if you were to do it right, you'd get 2.5" piping on the muffler inlet to match the b-pipe as well... the stock muffler is apparently not that restrictive...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 PM

yea but who wants to take a hacksaw to the rear section??? the stock rear section piping really isn't very long, i'd put money on it that you wouldn't gain anything/much, <1whp. It's so much easier just bolting it on anyway..
Old 05-12-2005, 10:41 PM
dot dot dot ...

Just a y-pipe.