5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k general engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

2k general engine misfire

I got some gas at costco the other day and within a mile of getting the gas, I got a check engine light. I had the code read at autozone and it was a general engine misfire. I disconnected the battery overnight and the check engine light came on within a block or two of driving.

I have 89k miles and the coils were replaced at 57k. NGK copper plugs have been in since 70k miles. The engine runs as smooth and as powerful as it ever has and the gas mileage on this tankful so far seems normal. It idles smoothly at 600rpm. I don't detect any hesitation at all.

What exactly is the definition of a "misfire?" I'm assuming that it excludes pre-ignition or detonation. Does it mean that one or more of the cylinders is failing to fire sometimes and therefore unburnt fuel gets sent out the exhaust? I haven't had the chance to pull out the spark plugs to take a look at them or possibly replace them.

Is it possible that I got a bad tank of gas or could there be something else wrong? I always use premium gas, usually costco. I just used some chevron fuel cleaner about a month ago. I plan on filling up with Chevron premium next time.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

anyone???????
Old 05-11-2005, 09:08 PM

1 mile wouldn't likely be enough to even get the new fuel to the engine. Try taking the gas cap off and putting it back on and turn it so it clicks several times. Vaccum leaks from the fuel tank can throw codes.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

I think I found the problem.

Today I replaced the spark plugs and put in the NGK Platiniums and reset the ECU. After starting it up again, I got the check engine light again. I went to autozone again and it's spitting out code p1320. I found the TSB about the ignition coils and called the dealer. They said they will replace them for free under the certified used warranty that I have. Yippee, I was worried I would have to shell out $300 to buy new coils.

BTW, factorynissanparts.com has the coils for $45 apiece.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...00&catalogid=1