5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To Buy or too many miles????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:50 PM

To Buy or too many miles????

Well since the spring is here ive decided to start looking for a new car again....I found a charcoal se 2003 full loaded titanium edition....the only thing is that the miles are 42xxx....i really wanted them in the 30s just for resale purposes...they were asking like 18,000....wat do u guys thing is a reasonable price for this car or should i keep going on my never ending search....
Old 05-11-2005, 02:51 PM

For that type of mileage, I would start out at $15,000.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:54 PM

when u guys reply could u tell me how many miles u have....just curious
Old 05-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i dont think that's really a bad price...i got my 2k2 6-speed in september for 16.7K with 29000 miles on it, but it didnt have all the options...since this is a 2k3 and it has all the options, i really dont think its a bad price...and at 2k miles shy of being in the 30's (mileage-wise) I dont think it's that big of a deal...nissans last forever...my mom's 2k SE has 200K and is still tickin...btw, my car has 37K now...
Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM

welll.

i definitly would say aroudn 15 or 16 aswell....i saw this 2k2 GLE that my dad liked...really good conditon it had about 30K...and they were asking 19K ....i was like ...you guys are kidding right....but i told my dad to offer 15K cash....so we will see...but whos know...d
Old 05-11-2005, 03:20 PM

yea i gonna try to get them down to like 15 or 16...thanks for the quick replies so far!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:37 PM

anyone else??????
Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 PM

TXT-1 and 96maxi
maxilvr06

IMHO, anything from mid $17k up to $18k would be a fair price for both sides, assuming there is nothing else wrong besides the mileage which isn't all that excessive. It irks me when people try to compare apples to oranges. This is not your average run-of-the-mill no climate control, no heated nothing, plain Jane Maxima. Nor is this a 2k2 GLE. This is a FULLY LOADED 2003 TITANIUM EDITION Maxima! That, plus the color make this a rare car. I have only known of a handful of them ever. That kind of rarity demands a premium. It boggles my mind how anyone can suggest $15k for a 2k2 GLE, then turn right around and suggest the same amount for a loaded 2k3 TE.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:45 PM

I used to sell cars and suckers like you were my favorite customers

The trick here is to low-ball first and work your way up from there. But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:51 PM
99 SE-L

I got 89k on my 2K2 SE run perfect ..... got for 9 k in febuary

Old 05-11-2005, 05:53 PM
XGaSpAcHo

i got my 2k3 gle with about 18K on it back in december of 2003 for 19,700

Old 05-11-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
i got my 2k3 gle with about 18K on it back in december of 2003 for 19,700
i can find that in a gle just not an se....thats the problems...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:11 PM

i think im gonna offer him 15...any other opinions....
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 PM

bump before i go to bed...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
I used to sell cars and suckers like you were my favorite customers

The trick here is to low-ball first and work your way up from there. But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Whoa, back up there buddy. I didn't say that the poster should just hand over a check today. I said that for what he's getting, he shouldn't expect to knock much off the price, especially not $3k. As a former used car salesman, I would think you'd know that lowballing is a bad negotiation tactic. It makes the buyer look like an amateur. It puts the seller on the defensive. And it wastes everyone's time. The seller did his research before arriving at his asking price. He knows what his car is worth and how much he would like to get for it. He is not going to roll over at $15k. If you start there, you just end up with egg on your face when you go crawling back later with a better offer. By the time you work your way up to $16k, you stink so badly of desperation that you'd be lucky to get it for the original asking price.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:06 PM

aight....here it goes...well i dont know about the dealers where you guys live but this one by my house tends to have i high asking price....in feb of this year i was at this same dealer...there was this 01 white SE...it had about 58k miles on it....it was clothe interior...no bose ...it had a sunroof...and that ws about it...and there was asking 16k for it...thats crazy...and i went back this weekend...and it was still there......and i got mine 2k fully loaded....with 50k...for 11k in march......it just that fact that the max reslase value sucks....and us (org members) know that...and it seems that other consumers do too...cuz the car is still sitting there.....

so in hindsight....offer 15 and work up...if they so now..go somewhere else...so many people trying to sell their max....im sure you'll fine one....heck...i just found a 2k2.....fully loaded 6 speed im interested in now....and hes wants 18...now i would probably pay close to the asking price for that...

good luck
Old 05-12-2005, 03:55 AM

Well, here we go again. I want to sell my car and was asking $19k a few monthes ago but than I decided I wanted $18k even for my 03 Titanium edition with only about 32K miles on it.

The only problem is that "Max N Action" is like almost 2.5-3 hours from where I live and easily about 200 miles I will need to put on my car to get to him. I will lose my mileage for the risk of him saying no to the deal even though I think he's a nice guy.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would always try to negotiate a better price. You don't know how far down they are willing to go until you try. IMHO, 42K miles is nothing to worry about on a Maxima as long as routine maintenance has been performed. Good luck. By habit I always do an Auto-X, change trans, coolant, filters, pcv, ps, brake fluid, etc. on any used vehicle I purchase. I just like to start off fresh.

Pedro
Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Whoa, back up there buddy. I didn't say that the poster should just hand over a check today. I said that for what he's getting, he shouldn't expect to knock much off the price, especially not $3k. As a former used car salesman, I would think you'd know that lowballing is a bad negotiation tactic. It makes the buyer look like an amateur. It puts the seller on the defensive. And it wastes everyone's time. The seller did his research before arriving at his asking price. He knows what his car is worth and how much he would like to get for it. He is not going to roll over at $15k. If you start there, you just end up with egg on your face when you go crawling back later with a better offer. By the time you work your way up to $16k, you stink so badly of desperation that you'd be lucky to get it for the original asking price.
I could not agree more. I constantly get into arguments with friends of mine who love to throw REDICULOUS low ball offers. If i were you (thread starter) i'd start off by offering at MINIMUM 16,500 which is 1,500 off asking price. I know that salesmen hate these types of offers (lowballing) and it usually sends a red flag that you are a newb at car buying... Go with an offer you are pretty serious about and if they say no, walk... The idea, I think, is to pay something you feel is a good amount. If you like the car, even if its 500 over kbb, i say buy it... Especially if that is a 6-spd SE/TE...

Originally Posted by 96maxi
aight....here it goes...well i dont know about the dealers where you guys live but this one by my house tends to have i high asking price....in feb of this year i was at this same dealer...there was this 01 white SE...it had about 58k miles on it....it was clothe interior...no bose ...it had a sunroof...and that ws about it...and there was asking 16k for it...thats crazy...and i went back this weekend...and it was still there......and i got mine 2k fully loaded....with 50k...for 11k in march......it just that fact that the max reslase value sucks....and us (org members) know that...and it seems that other consumers do too...cuz the car is still sitting there.....

so in hindsight....offer 15 and work up...if they so now..go somewhere else...so many people trying to sell their max....im sure you'll fine one....heck...i just found a 2k2.....fully loaded 6 speed im interested in now....and hes wants 18...now i would probably pay close to the asking price for that...

good luck
thing is, if its a fully loaded SE/TE the car won't really sit there (in most cases)... Not wanting to brag or anything but the 5.5 gen is regarded as one of the best looking, tastefully done Maximas... My car constantly turns heads and yeilds comments. It is extremely rare in manual form especially if it is loaded. I picked mine up for $18,991 back in November 2004 with 35,500 miles from a dealer in Atlanta. The car had sat there about 2-3 days with other people making low ball offers on it. I just said i'll take it at asking price and I got the car I wanted at a price I honestly thought was fair. I'm barely at 40,000 miles now and I feel confident that i can sell it for at least 18,500 (due to its condition, rarity and other things). To me used car buying comes to this... Do you like the car? Do you have the money? get it and be happy... I would've payed up to $21,000 for this car. Some might call me stupid, but I love the car and i dont think much can be had in its pricerange.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:27 AM

If I had my buyers like you I would have sold my car. But I have so many people low balling me with stupid low offers I can't sell it.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:33 AM
XGaSpAcHo

What you guys don't realize is that all the modifications you put on your car actually decrease it's resale value. You cannot expect to get what the car is worth plus what you paid for the mods.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Play with my balls

What you guys don't realize is that all the modifications you put on your car actually decrease it's resale value. You cannot expect to get what the car is worth plus what you paid for the mods.

Someone out there will pay for it, trust me..... patience is the key.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:27 AM

no matter what guys...i love maximas in general and i do think the a great cars ....and bottom line is ...if you real want and like the car...ie TE SE 6Mt...and its rare ...so why not pay for it...which is fine...no problem there...

its the cars that aren't loaded and not rare...and dearlers asking blue book for it.....thats alll
Old 05-12-2005, 07:36 AM

hey thanx for the responces...im not worried about the cost...i mean if the miles were in the high 20s low thirtys i would buy it....im just a afraid that when i go to sell it since the miles are a little higher im gonna get screwed....i duno....i might offer them 16 and see what happens....im sure they will come back with something....
Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 AM

I have an 03 with 38,000 miles. She is just broken in. Don't worry about 42,000. I agree that you should try offering 16.5.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:53 AM

Whenever you deal with a car salesman, assume that he has paid the trade-in amount for the vehicle using kbb.com or edmunds.com. I have put together a number of deals working with this number. You can't expect the dealer to give away the car, but you can expect to pay a reasonable amount for the vehicle. I generally prefer working with edmunds, TMV, since so far it seems to be right on the money when it comes to trade-in, private party and dealer pricing.

If your working with a dealer and really like the vehicle, then I would make a reasonable offer $500-$700 over the private party value on the car. At this price the dealer is making "good money" on the vehicle, especially if they paid wholesale or trade-in amount for the vehicle originally. Expect them to negoiate from there and try to drive the price up a little. If you stick to your guns, are a qualified buyer, or paying cash, then you hold all the cards. Keep in mind the longer the car sits on thier lot the lower you should make your offer. No dealer wants to hold onto inventory. Turn and burn is what they are trying to do. If you find a car you like and it has been on a dealer lot for more than thirty days, you should be able to offer much less.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:55 AM

That's why the best thing to do is to part it out and then sell it stock.... I personally would never try to sell a modded car... I wouldn't buy one either...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:58 AM

Just a reference, I picked up my 03 TE-SE loaded no NAV with HLSD last September with 4800 miles for 20K.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Max_N_Action
Well since the spring is here ive decided to start looking for a new car again....I found a charcoal se 2003 full loaded titanium edition....the only thing is that the miles are 42xxx....i really wanted them in the 30s just for resale purposes...they were asking like 18,000....wat do u guys thing is a reasonable price for this car or should i keep going on my never ending search....
IMO, 42K miles is kinda high for an 03 (that's over 20K a year, hope its highway), my 02 has 41K on it... I just hope the car you're looking at was broken in right... like already said, don't start too low, be honest with yourself. Just start at a price slightly lower than what you'd be willing to pay. You can also try to get em to throw in free stuff like oil changes, or cheaper extended warranty, etc. Remember also to not overlook other important things like tires, maintenence records, etc.

I have an 02 SE; 6 speed, leather, Meridian package, HLSD that I paid got for $26,500 brand new (it had 21 miles on it and was the one on the showroom floor). It was higher than I wanted to pay, but they gave me the best value on my trade-in and I didn't wanna go through the hassle of selling it privately. I liked the Max so much that I was willing to pay more to get it then and there.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by HenryNYC1
Just a reference, I picked up my 03 TE-SE loaded no NAV with HLSD last September with 4800 miles for 20K.
Was that 4800 miles??? wow, they didn't drive it much huh?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Was that 4800 miles??? wow, they didn't drive it much huh?
yup, 4800 when i picked it up. has 10k now. It was a 2nd car so I guess it was used during good weather/weekends cause it was in better condition than some new cars I see in dealerships
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by HenryNYC1
yup, 4800 when i picked it up. has 10k now. It was a 2nd car so I guess it was used during good weather/weekends cause it was in better condition than some new cars I see in dealerships
Man, that's a steal.... nice find...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
IMO, 42K miles is kinda high for an 03 (that's over 20K a year, hope its highway
not necesserily (sp?). it could have been purchased in 2002 in which case that's not too high. do a carfax on it and see when it was sold. that shoudl give you a more exact miles per year estimate.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 AM

not necesserily (sp?). it could have been purchased in 2002 in which case that's not too high. do a carfax on it and see when it was sold. that shoudl give you a more exact miles per year estimate.
I bought mine in '02 when the '03s were coming out. I have 34,700 miles.

Mine is an '03 and I have it for almost 3 years
Old 05-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Play with my balls

I know I overpaid a little for mine, but after about a year of searching, and having just sold my Legend Coupe 3 months prior, I was getting a little desperate.

Only good that came out of my deal was that I got exactly what I wanted. It is also a rare find.

24,900 June 2004
17k miles at the time, currently has 41k (holy sheit I drive alot)
Black on black
6speed w/HSLD
Titanium Package
Fully Loaded without the navi

To me it was worth it, to others maybe not. I tend to be very picky with my cars, as well as with women.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Max_N_Action
hey thanx for the responces...im not worried about the cost...i mean if the miles were in the high 20s low thirtys i would buy it....im just a afraid that when i go to sell it since the miles are a little higher im gonna get screwed....i duno....i might offer them 16 and see what happens....im sure they will come back with something....
Honestly, it won't be that much of a problem. Stop worrying, work out a good deal on the car, and enjoy. If you keep it for a while and don't put excessive miles on it yourself, the difference will spread itself out over time. IMO, mileage on modern cars makes less difference than it did a couple decades ago. An additional 10-20k mi. when you sell your car in say 3-5 years, shouldn't affect your price by a couple hundred. By then, cosmetic condition and collision/repair history will be your biggest price determinant.

A side note on modding vs. resale since it came up. Do it if you enjoy it, but don't consider it an investment. You will never get out what you put in. A lot of people don't understand this and get mad when they try to sell their car with mods. Adding a $1000 stereo will not add $1000 to your resale. That's because your mods are depreciating over time too. In 4 years, the resale value of that stereo or whatever you put in will only be worth a fraction of what you paid for it. Some mods hold their value better than others (clear bra = good vs. lambo doors = bad). Plus the more you personalize it, the smaller your potential buyer pool gets. Not everyone will like your mods and finding a buyer who does will be harder, especially if your mods are permanent or unpopular.

One last point, get a CarFax! Get a CarFax! Get a CarFax! This is so simple and cheap (free if you ask nicely in the general forum) that I can't believe people don't do it. Good luck. Keep us posted. Would love to see your new car here.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The average asking price for an 02 Max in my area is around 15,500. I've seen an 02 as low as 11k with high mileage.