5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

problem with LED

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 05:25 PM

problem with LED

ok, so i did the LED mod and now all of a sudden my LED's wont light up on the drivers buttons. i opened it up and nothing had changed. but i did notice that they turned on when i touched the neg side of the LED to almost any of the metal bumps. but they would stay on constantly and not turn off when the car did so i can't hook it up that way. anyone have any idea what happened?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:32 PM

i did LEDs a while ago, but i do remember somthing was wierd about installing them into the drivers buttons, the old LEDs had 4 leads and the new ones needes to be hooked up a certain way, or somthing like that....
I had some weird stuff start happening with those switches as well, after putting in LEDs and having then work fine for 9 months........ one day my drivers window started to go down,by itself, it took a few days for me to see this only happened when i turned on my headlights......somehow a lead on one of the LEDs decided to start touching things it wasnt supposed to...
Old 05-14-2005, 07:41 PM

ya i had a few things...like my locks would automatically unlock when the lights came off...but i moved something and fixed that..then they worked fine..then all of a sudden they wouldn't come on so i checked them just tonight and nothing...i ended up just taking them out. i ****ed up that bored anyways..i need to get a new one.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 AM

yea i'm having problems too...
my windows would move down automatically
i think im gonna have to unsolder the leds and see if that would help. any other suggestions would be helpful bc rite now my front passenger window is completely down and it won't roll up when i press the switch. we'll see wat i can do
and sry for hijacking the thread, just didn't want to post a whole new one for the same problem
Old 05-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I cant say im familiar with the led mod, but what i know about led's is that they are directional, so polarity matters,(longer lead is positive) and they have almost no internal resistance so there has to be some resistance in series with the led. Good luck
Old 05-17-2005, 10:09 AM

yea we put the resistors on them, i'm gonna double check them later. thanx tho.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:13 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 2kayznmaxima
yea we put the resistors on them, i'm gonna double check them later. thanx tho.
whoa, whoa, whoa...there's your problem. The driver's panel LEDs don't NEED resistors - there are already resistors built-in to the circuit board. You only need resistors for the back door and passenger window switches.

Also, I might note that I had to mount all my LEDs backwards (i.e. "reverse polarity") - not sure if it's the polarity of the LEDs or the markings on the circuit board that are incorrect. I also reversed the polarity when I did icelandmaxima's (Tim's) window LED - no problems with either of ours except we have both had one LED come a little loose because of my shoddy soldering
Old 05-17-2005, 01:15 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by merovi
ok, so i did the LED mod and now all of a sudden my LED's wont light up on the drivers buttons. i opened it up and nothing had changed. but i did notice that they turned on when i touched the neg side of the LED to almost any of the metal bumps. but they would stay on constantly and not turn off when the car did so i can't hook it up that way. anyone have any idea what happened?
note that your windows still work for 30 seconds when the car turns off - that's why the lights won't turn off (for 30 seconds, if you waited, or until you opened the door.) That, or you had them touching the power lock button, which is on all the time.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
note that your windows still work for 30 seconds when the car turns off - that's why the lights won't turn off (for 30 seconds, if you waited, or until you opened the door.) That, or you had them touching the power lock button, which is on all the time.
i was hoping that was the problem but i sat in my car and locked the doors with the key fob and waited and they never went off. they were also on when my car was on but the lights were off. they were on every possible time that they were connected no matter what.