5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Even Suspension Stance...Cut springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:01 PM

Even Suspension Stance...Cut springs?

Hey guys,
I have H&R Springs and Tokico Illuminas...I'm very happy with the ride and handling but I recently got the Stillen Kit and I really want the front to be even with the rear...I was thinking about getting Tein H-Tech springs for the front but when I called a few performance shops around me, two or three of them said that they have been cutting springs for a while and that they can even the stance that way..by cutting the front springs only, to make it even with the rear..i asked about the ride quality after that and he said there is little to no difference...i like the rear exactly where it is with the H&R and the Tein H-tech springs are little high in the back so I think cutting the current H&Rs might be the way to go bc I've heard Progress as well is a little too rough...just seeing if anybody else had experience/opinions with this
Old 05-17-2005, 02:08 PM
retired moderator

those are the same "performance shops" that cut the springs for all those slammed civics that you see bouncing all over the place looking stupid. Springs have progressive rates, and those are thrown off when you cut them. I would go with new springs if you want to drop farther.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Some opinions on cut springs here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=cut+springs

I say don't do it.

Progress with Illuminas shouldn't be too bad, but I'll save more commentary on that for when I actually have my HPs replaced with Illuminas. The Progress/HP set up is bouncy yet not harsh, but Progress/Illumina has been said to be much better in terms of bounciness, since the struts dampen the springs better than the HPs do. I can't say for sure right now though.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:59 PM

Check out my car. I cut all my factory springs and my car sits at 25.5 all the way around. (I still don't reccomend doing this) Not because the ride is bad but because it was a pain in the ***. If you do do it make sure you cut the top of the front springs and not the bottom. If you cut the bottom then they will fall out. I did this, made it work by flipping the damn springs upsides down. With the stock springs I cut 1.5 coils all the way around. Somebody else on here has progress springs and cut 1 coil out of the fronts and it looked really nice. The only reason I went cheap and cut my springs was because I wouldn't put my wheels on untill it was dropped. I am still getting coilovers to replace this ghetto lowering job within a couple months. Overall I am fairly impressed with how it came out.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:17 PM

Considering I just use my car as a daily driver and i'm not racing it or doing autocross or anything...and you guys strongly advise against cutting the springs...you think it'd be okay to keep H&R in the rear and use H-Techs in the front?...i really like the height in the rear that H&R give and at 26" in the rear, the 26 1/4 of the H-Techs should be a real even stance...considering I heard the Progress are a bit stiff I figured i'd go with the H-Techs
Old 05-18-2005, 08:30 AM

never cut your springs it messes up the ride, my boy did it to his car and the ride is horrible
Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 AM

Cutting springs is definitely not recomended. People who do it do it because a) they don't make lowering springs for a particular model, or b) Don't have the money to buy springs. What will the difference if height be if you keep your springs? 1 inch? 1.5 inches?
Old 05-18-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kruppa
Considering I just use my car as a daily driver and i'm not racing it or doing autocross or anything...and you guys strongly advise against cutting the springs...you think it'd be okay to keep H&R in the rear and use H-Techs in the front?...i really like the height in the rear that H&R give and at 26" in the rear, the 26 1/4 of the H-Techs should be a real even stance...considering I heard the Progress are a bit stiff I figured i'd go with the H-Techs
I think it will be fine. In the past, I had Maxspeeds in the front with stock rear springs. Currently, I am using Sprint springs with Maxspeed rears. The drop looks good.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:38 AM

don't do it...save up for coilovers.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 PM

just get a lower drop. you have illuminas so you can adjust them to a softer setting.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:45 PM

i got cut maxspeeds and all my friends say the ride is fine, but a little rough ill admit. Granted, they drive cars with really stiff suspensions (all sport cars, sigh family sedan is me). Well, the height between the top of my wheel well to the floor is around 24.6 inches both front and back. With the kit and my new side skirts, im scraping over a lot of crap, especially taller speed bumps. I wouldn't go for it, especially sinc eyou have the stillen aero lip.