5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Who has jetchip, because I like it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001 | 04:15 PM

Let me know who has it and if they noticed anything!!
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Greek to the Max
Let me know who has it and if they noticed anything!!
i oredered it today should be able to tell you the results by friday order it through stillen if you get it their price is better!!! stillen # 1-800-576-2131 ext: 182 (Dean) tell them that will sent ya!!
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:29 PM

WILLSE,

Are you going to install it yourself? If so, I wouldn't mind being a bystander, that is if you are in Atlanta these days. I am thinking about the chip as well.
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:36 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
WILLSE,

Are you going to install it yourself? If so, I wouldn't mind being a bystander, that is if you are in Atlanta these days. I am thinking about the chip as well.
i live in gwinnett county....... so yeah i guess you could drop by to see it would be nice to know some org members by faces.... the ECU is actually the stock ECU i am sending it to them to upgrade it to the mods that i have...... they said on some of the 5th gens that they have done the reprograming they have gained 15+ hp at the wheels so i am like hmmm..... i send it out tomorrow or wed, which ever day they send me the box to ship it, by the time they get it they guarantee 24 hour turn around so i would have it definately by fri...... thurs if i get the pakageing for it tomorrow..... ill let you know more when i talk to stilen tomrrow...... if you have any ?'s i would be glad to answer them!!!!
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:40 PM

I don't understand what you have to order. Do you buy something, or do they work on the one that comes with the car. Also, when did this chip become available?
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:44 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Greek to the Max
I don't understand what you have to order. Do you buy something, or do they work on the one that comes with the car. Also, when did this chip become available?
you probably have to send them your stock ECU so they can reprogram it.... Let us all know how it goes and what types of gains you get..... +15 hp sounds just a little too good to be true though, but if you can prove it, that would be awesome
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:48 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I have misunderstood the product. I thought it was a control module, much like a plug-n-play type setup which did not require the ECU to be reprogrammed. I think I got caught up in the images on the web site which primarily just show the controller portion of it.
that i was waht i expected until i called them and they told me that they just reprogramed it
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:48 PM

I have misunderstood the product. I thought it was a control module, much like a plug-n-play type setup which did not require the ECU to be reprogrammed. I think I got caught up in the images on the web site which primarily just show the controller portion of it.
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:53 PM

i just wanna see the dyno charts.. if neone kan prove the 15, then that would be awesome.
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:53 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
i just wanna see the dyno charts.. if neone kan prove the 15, then that would be awesome.
im gonna try and dyno before i send it off but i might not be able to..... i had 180 with y-pipe, intake, and UDP so with my b-pipe and HKS rear section what do u think the number would be..... just an idea so if i cant get to the dyno i can dyno after and approximate the gain...... let me know what you guys think
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:58 PM

Well, there's probably not much to see except you trying to re-install the ECU. I can stand around, drink beer, criticize, call you stupid, etc, while you slave away, but that probably doesn't sound like a good time to you.
Old 05-14-2001 | 06:59 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by WILLSE

im gonna try and dyno before i send it off but i might not be able to..... i had 180 with y-pipe, intake, and UDP so with my b-pipe and HKS rear section what do u think the number would be..... just an idea so if i cant get to the dyno i can dyno after and approximate the gain...... let me know what you guys think
+5 - 8 hp maybe?
Old 05-14-2001 | 07:05 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

+5 - 8 hp maybe?
thats what i was thinkin 10 max but i doubt it so we will say 188 at the wheels for now and figure out after the chip waht the gain is if i cant make it to the dyno tomorrow!!!

mdeal that would be fun....... haha j/p im 16 cant drink but you can!!!
Old 05-14-2001 | 07:30 PM
Christina7m

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WILLSE
[B]

i live in gwinnett county

NO WAY___YOU LIVE IN GWINNETT COUNTY____COULD THAT BE IN GEORGIA??? SO DO I -----PRETTY COOL____ARE YOU PLANNING ON TAKING YOUR CAR TO THE COMMERCE TRACK__WHAT DOES YOUR MAX LOOK LIKE (color)
Old 05-14-2001 | 07:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Christina7m
[B]

i live in gwinnett county

NO WAY___YOU LIVE IN GWINNETT COUNTY____COULD THAT BE IN GEORGIA??? SO DO I -----PRETTY COOL____ARE YOU PLANNING ON TAKING YOUR CAR TO THE COMMERCE TRACK__WHAT DOES YOUR MAX LOOK LIKE (color)
where in gwinnett yes GA.....im in snellville..... i want to take it to the track but i havent had time i plan on going soon..... silver 5th gen lowered with HKS rear sction i am 16 what about you.... let me know it would be cool to meet someone through the org and go to the track!!!!
Old 05-15-2001 | 06:52 AM

Christina7m, I thought you were from up North. I'm over in Dunwoody.

WILLSE, everybody is interested in your chip. Let us know.
Old 05-15-2001 | 07:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WillSE -

You were right about JetChip having the ability to reprogram the ECU. I called them and they confirmed. Stillen doesn't know which way is up since when I called them they said - no there is no such thing. Guess you have to call the right person.

Anyway, JetChip told me they have dyno'd it on a 99 (4th gen). The dyno figures were 14-16hp gain. HOWEVER, the comparison was between stock and Jetchip/intake/exhaust. So, the figure they are quoting is not just for the ecu but for the combo. (Guess they went to the Stillen school of hp claims).

I have asked him to fax and mail me the dyno plot. Says he can't e-mail to me (whatever).

Didn't have long to talk to him - so now I have a few more questions for him. Mainly, whether they are using the same fuel and timing curves for the 5th gen as they used for the 4th gen 99. That concerns me because of the differences between the 4th and 5th gen engines (variable intake runners completely change the hp curve above 5k rpms).

I hope they aren't using the 4th gen maps. If they are using maps for the 5th gen, how come they haven't dyno'd? And if they haven't dyno'd, how do they know what the gains are for 5th gen? Finally, can they restore the stock programming if I'm not happy?

I would be willing to test it on my car and dyno for the benefit of everyone provided they can guarantee me that they can return the programming to stock form if I'm not happy. I've got dynos stock, and with SI and Y-pipe (same as Madmax2k's) already so we could get an accurate result.

Let me know what else you learn from them. I'd like to see if we get the same answers to the same questions.
Old 05-15-2001 | 07:24 AM

Two questions from someone who don't know Jack about this subject

Sorry for the intrusion. I'll be in and outta here in no time...

What happens if they fry your chip when they're "reprogramming" it?

How much would it cost to replace?

I guess that also means that you're pretty much committed to your mods 'cause it sounds like goin back would require another reprogramming session from the vendor.

Or... would the simple unplug-the-negative-terminal-for-half-an-hour ECU reset work on the reprogramming they do?

If THAT'S the case, then do you have to resend your chip in to get reprogrammed if your battery craps out along the way or, say, you want to do another mod that requires a battery disconnect?

Hmmm... I guess that was more than two questions. Oops, just kinda started flowin'.

Cheers!
Old 05-15-2001 | 07:24 AM
Christina7m

where in gwinnett yes GA.....im in snellville..... i want to take it to the track but i havent had time i plan on going soon..... silver 5th gen lowered with HKS rear sction i am 16 what about you.... let me know it would be cool to meet someone through the org and go to the track!!!!
Ha!!! You probably go to brookwood right?? If so do you own the 2000 silver one??? Im in snellville too
Old 05-15-2001 | 07:29 AM
Christina7m

Originally posted by Christina7m

Ha!!! You probably go to brookwood right?? If so do you own the 2000 silver one??? Im in snellville too

Actually i think i know you---have you ever seen the 2000 black maxima se its lowered, dark tinted windows, and the bright lights in the front? Thats my boyfriends car...i think your the one that claimed you raced and won or some BS like that...is that you???
Old 05-15-2001 | 07:33 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Here's a little hint/suggestion I should point out before you guys jump into the JetChip ECU... look around in the 4th gen forum and see who has this upgrade. When you're done, come back and post the results.
Old 05-15-2001 | 07:39 AM
Christina7m

Actually i think i know you---have you ever seen the 2000 black maxima se its lowered, dark tinted windows, and the bright lights in the front? Thats my boyfriends car...i think your the one that claimed you raced and won or some BS like that...is that you???
Old 05-15-2001 | 08:19 AM

Here's the link I found. I am skeptical of Jet. Spoke to them today and they told me no dyno on a 2k - but they've done 2ks and people who have dyno'd and raced told them 15 hp at least. That's all they can tell me.

They say they will return it to stock for free if I don't like the results. Yeah, and how am I going to know they did it.

I probably won't do it because they can't demonstrate their gains on a 2k and because I can't verify if they return it to stock programming. I'm sure the warranty would be voided if nissan found out.

Honestly, I'd rather go with the Program and take it to a tuner. It would cost a lot more ($1000 including tuner) but you would have to get better gains and simply removing the program piggy back would return you to stock.

WillSE - let us know how it works.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....chip#post76423
Old 05-15-2001 | 08:27 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good research, John. You'll definitely find more info if you kept on searching. Wonder why a mod freak like me don't have the JetChip ECU? . . . . . . .

I would say the TRG's piggyback is a better bet. Even though it's more expensive, the results have been posted in these forums before.

Do some research before jumping into mods. If no one has it, think twice before buying the mod because there must be a reason why it hasn't been purchased (or kept on the car).
Old 05-15-2001 | 11:47 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Good research, John. You'll definitely find more info if you kept on searching. Wonder why a mod freak like me don't have the JetChip ECU? . . . . . . .

I would say the TRG's piggyback is a better bet. Even though it's more expensive, the results have been posted in these forums before.

Do some research before jumping into mods. If no one has it, think twice before buying the mod because there must be a reason why it hasn't been purchased (or kept on the car).
I thought we had this discussion before both on 5th gen forum and 4th gen forum as well????Guys come on, JETCHIP doesn't do a shi*t to our cars since our ECU is way too complicated to tune to make HP...Think it about it, G-engineering sent the ECU to Japan for over 4 months..how come it hasn't had any results if it's so easy to tune according to Jetchip!!!

And everyone i talked to says that Jetchip is just plain gimmicks!

Have fun wasting your money!!!!

Tim
Old 05-15-2001 | 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Wustylez

I thought we had this discussion before both on 5th gen forum and 4th gen forum as well????Guys come on, JETCHIP doesn't do a shi*t to our cars since our ECU is way too complicated to tune to make HP...Think it about it, G-engineering sent the ECU to Japan for over 4 months..how come it hasn't had any results if it's so easy to tune according to Jetchip!!!

And everyone i talked to says that Jetchip is just plain gimmicks!

Have fun wasting your money!!!!

Tim
Well, the ECU isn't too complicated to tune. There is validity to at least the Racer's group tuning method with the Program. Simply, they can alter timing and fuel maps to increase power along with a number of other variables. With almost any enginge - there is optimal timing and fuel that will get you the most hp.

Car manufacturers don't use the optimal because of varying conditions. They use the most conservative. That is, they don't know where you are driving or under what conditions so they want to make certain there will be no problems.

This is what tuning is all about. The problem is that most of these "chips" are just standard changes. They make percentage changes to these variables. We just don't know what those changes are. Thus, don't know their gains.

The program on the other hand requires that you take the vehicle to a tuner and put it on a dyno and experiment with the settings that will in real time provide the best results for your car with your mods. This is what tuners do with race cars, drag cars and the like.

I think the problem is that there just may not be that much to gain by doing it for the cost (1,000 for the program and tuning). Kinda like a full cat-back exhaust. Going with the "chip" or "send off your ecu" method, there is even less to gain.
Old 05-15-2001 | 06:34 PM

Is there an additional charge to have them brain wash the ECU, or does the price include that?

Christina7M, I am well out of high school, so you might be thinking of somebody else. I haven't raced any Maxima's, except a guy I work with...and we were just playing since his was brand new.
Old 05-15-2001 | 08:18 PM

she was talkin to me mdeal!!! her bf talks alot of crap to me and tried to get me to race him for $400 when he has a 5-speed and a 60 shot of ZEX gee thats fair FRANCO!! he tried to fight me at my school when he is 18 i think and i am 16 hmmmm thats pretty cool...... i dont understand what his deal is we both have 5th gens and he is a little punk about alot of stuff so whatever i figured having the same car would get u too be friends not enemies which im sure that is what he considers me....... oh well and chistina when u talk to him tell him i said HEY!!!!
Old 05-15-2001 | 08:23 PM

anyways back to the chip issue..... i am sending it away tomorrow and gettin it back fri.... i dynoed today and got 180hp (same as last time for some reason) and 191 torque (went up around 20 lbs) when i get the ECU back i will dyno again to find out the real results..... i will let you know.... oh they said life time warrenty and im not sure about re-upgrading it im sire it will be less than the first time and if u want to talk to someone at stillen about it call 1-800-576-2131 ext:182 which is DEAN who is taking care of everything....... i like being the first one so if it works i will let you know if it is worth it if not than i wasted my money OH WELL always can make more of that HUH???? hopefully it will be positive results i will be happy with 190hp and anything above 191 torque when it gets back i agree 15+ sounds like a bunch of BS to me...... just another mod to say that i have!!!
Old 05-15-2001 | 09:55 PM

I don't know what I was reading. It's late. I'll myself in advance.

Are you saying Stillen is doing the work or does Stillen send it to Jet Chip? Is Stillen the middle-man (women) here? Did you ask, as Max_Gator (?) inquired, if they could set the stuff back to stock if all else fails?

To play devil's advocate, what if your car goes into limp mode? Do you have any recourse, or are you hosed, only to hope Stillen or Jet Chip can re-brain wash you at additonal cost?
Old 05-16-2001 | 07:15 AM
Christina7m

she was talkin to me mdeal!!! her bf talks alot of crap to me and tried to get me to race him for $400 when he has a 5-speed and a 60 shot of ZEX gee thats fair FRANCO!! he tried to fight me at my school when he is 18 i think and i am 16 hmmmm thats pretty cool...... i dont understand what his deal is we both have 5th gens and he is a little punk about alot of stuff so whatever i figured having the same car would get u too be friends not enemies which im sure that is what he considers me....... oh well and chistina when u talk to him tell him i said HEY!!!!

ok you dont have to be dumb about it--it started with you ...remember..your automatic car wanted to race, racing is awesome and all but must be fair...and didnt you tell people that you beat him or something....what type of crap does he talk about bc as far as i know none-and im pretty sure he was gonna be cool with you at first and how he could get you some hook-ups (major ones). I have a 2000 camry (not a maxima) but i was gonna get a maxima too but i changed my mind to the ALTIMA so in September my car will slowly change from normal stock looking car too fast car owned bya girl who will race anyone!! Ill tell him to read your post and email you or whatever---------just dont be gay---and you shouldnt say things about people you dont know bc maybe your the one that caused the enemy thing, its so obvious considering what you just wrote about him talking crap and being a punk. c-ya
Old 05-16-2001 | 02:18 PM

check this **** out.... i called stillen ad jetchip today and they accidently sent it by ground not overnight like they said..... so i have to wait until fri or sat for it to get here to send it off thats real cool i like how they F**ked up my order..... so the results will be next week not friday like i planned sorry guys but it is jetchips fault!!! i will let you know next week when i get it
Old 05-16-2001 | 02:22 PM

check this **** out.... i called stillen ad jetchip today and they accidently sent it by ground not overnight like they said..... so i have to wait until fri or sat for it to get here to send it off thats real cool i like how they F**ked up my order..... so the results will be next week not friday like i planned sorry guys but it is jetchips fault!!! i will let you know next week when i get it
Hopefully, it is not a sign of things to come. What would possess Jetchips or Stillen to send it by ground is beyond me - HELLO IT IS THE ECU for crying out loud. Which one screwed it up? How much are you paying Stillen to be the middle man?
Old 05-16-2001 | 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Hopefully, it is not a sign of things to come. What would possess Jetchips or Stillen to send it by ground is beyond me - HELLO IT IS THE ECU for crying out loud. Which one screwed it up? How much are you paying Stillen to be the middle man?
sorry for the wrong impression they send me a box to send the ECu and crap in so they overnight the box to me but they ground shipped it instead so i have to wait to send it in until next week..... im mad and i accually paid less through stillen than through them direct.....i will get the box and crap on sat or fri i dunno im mad though!!!
Old 05-16-2001 | 04:01 PM

wow im in gwinnett too...duluth....to be exact
pretty dam* cool

so who does the mods for the jetchip?
Old 05-16-2001 | 04:06 PM

Originally posted by crzyballa33

wow im in gwinnett too...duluth....to be exact
pretty dam* cool

so who does the mods for the jetchip?
jetchip is the name of the company..... duluth sucks u guys have those black grand prix cop cars!!!
Old 05-16-2001 | 04:49 PM

im curious as to why you would want to get your ecu modded by a company who sells a phony control deck

one that they claim adds hp when people with other max's have reported no gains and people with other cars (accords) have even reported loss of hp

not a flame...just curious...the alternative of the piggyback was there
Old 05-16-2001 | 05:12 PM
Christina7m

jetchip is the name of the company..... duluth sucks u guys have those black grand prix cop cars!!!
Stillen may carry the best parts for your car but they really su*k when it comes to orders, they messed up one of mone once and it had to be here by a certain time and i had to cancel it and redo the whole thing, then they ripped me off for it. (if anyone knows who you should talk to for the best deals...tell me)
Old 05-16-2001 | 07:07 PM

Stillen may carry the best parts for your car but they really su*k when it comes to orders, they messed up one of mone once and it had to be here by a certain time and i had to cancel it and redo the whole thing, then they ripped me off for it. (if anyone knows who you should talk to for the best deals...tell me)
i agree 100% stillen does suck at customer service!!! i have had a few incidents with them.... but they eventually fix it sooner or later and they r pretty much the only company to make stuff for the max so i have to use them!!! oh well
Old 05-16-2001 | 10:11 PM

tell me about it
i got carried away goin 90 in 65 zone (or so he said)
the guy is hiding (grand prix cop)
and cathes me and is an *******
i shouldve just tried speeding up and geting away.....wouldnt work

i hope i dont get my license taken away....i cant live without driving my car for 6 months

Quick Reply: Who has jetchip, because I like it.