5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

removing cross member under ypipe/cat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

removing cross member under ypipe/cat?

im talking about the crossmember toward the front of the car that passes under the exhaust. the rear one was already removed because the Cattman catback was going to hit it, so the shop took it off. it still in my trunk. anyway, i hear a clucking noise everytime i go over bumps while turning, and its magnified when it rains for some reason. im 99% sure its this forward crossmember, i just want to make sure its ok to remove this before i do. this only started after i totally secured the y pipe finally after my bolt problems.

so is it ok to remove this piece? and if you guys have any other suggestions about what this might be, let me know. thanks guys.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Mass_Media™

I would leave it on....I left it on when I put my exhaust on...when I left my exhaust hang with it off, it didn't look right, it was sagging in. the middle where it would be....so I just put it back on...
Old 05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
ABS

Are you sure the muffler isn't off-center where it passes through the "U" in the rear above the axle? I had that exact problem - created a "bang" everytime I went over a bump . . .
Old 05-23-2005, 07:06 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by KCMC582
im talking about the crossmember toward the front of the car that passes under the exhaust. the rear one was already removed because the Cattman catback was going to hit it, so the shop took it off. it still in my trunk. anyway, i hear a clucking noise everytime i go over bumps while turning, and its magnified when it rains for some reason. im 99% sure its this forward crossmember, i just want to make sure its ok to remove this before i do. this only started after i totally secured the y pipe finally after my bolt problems.

so is it ok to remove this piece? and if you guys have any other suggestions about what this might be, let me know. thanks guys.
i went through the hassle of lowering it with longer bolts and additional washers. that solved it when i had my cattman y pipe but my hotshot headers brought it back so i just took it off. it has been off for around 9 months and there are no negative side effects. add it to the list of weight reduction.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ABS
Are you sure the muffler isn't off-center where it passes through the "U" in the rear above the axle? I had that exact problem - created a "bang" everytime I went over a bump . . .
im pretty sure it isnt that, because when i go over these bumps, i actually hear and feel it almost directly underneath my feet. but when i drastically shake the exhaust under the car, there is a slighty metal scraping metal noise where you are referring to, but im pretty sure that is a heat shield, but since i cant hear that in the car, im really not too worried about it

Originally Posted by sloppymax
i went through the hassle of lowering it with longer bolts and additional washers. that solved it when i had my cattman y pipe but my hotshot headers brought it back so i just took it off. it has been off for around 9 months and there are no negative side effects. add it to the list of weight reduction.
thats what i was concerned about, any negative side effects. im also glad im not the only person with this problem. im gonna try and take it off tomorrow or over the weekend or something, thanks.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:21 PM
ayjayaye

u ever think its the crossmember in ur trunk makin da noise? hellllloooo

Old 05-24-2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ayjayaye
like i said, i feel the clucking under my seat, so that rules out the crossmember in the trunk. there is also nothing for that cross member to hit in the trunk to make this noise. so no, there is no way its the cross member in the trunk.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:55 AM

I was told by a Nissan mechanic that the crossmember is used on the assembly line to hold the car together while assembling and that it has no useful purpose.

Regardless mine off as well as all those noisy heat shields.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:22 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Jime
I was told by a Nissan mechanic that the crossmember is used on the assembly line to hold the car together while assembling and that it has no useful purpose.

Regardless mine off as well as all those noisy heat shields.
seems viable to me. i just figured it was there in case the exhaust decided to break and it would help support it instead of hitting the road.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:35 AM

you can get some spacers but if your car is really low just take it off like sloppymax said. mine has been off for 2 years and no ill side effects (except for more parts in my parts box)
Old 05-24-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by ayjayaye
u ever read da post above yours? helllloooooo

Old 05-24-2005, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by KCMC582

Casey, have ya tried shaking the exhaust to isolate the bumping to confirm its coming from below you? If so, then just take the cross member off and drive around for a bit... if that solves it, just leave it off, but check all your hangers and the ground clearance as well, especially after you lower the car. I think you'd be fine w/o it...
Old 05-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Play with my balls

I get the same knocking from my exhaust Casey. At first I thought it was my suspension or something. Problem was solved by wrapping heavy duty zip ties to the rubber hangers of my exhaust to decrease movement in the exhaust. It fixed my knocking issue. My b-pipe was hitting somewhere against something. Try 2 heavy duty zip ties per rubber hanger on the exhaust. The crossmember removed might help also.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 PM

i used joels idea of the circle clamps (zip ties would work too) but that was just to stop my muffletr tips from hitting my Stillen rear lip, so i only put it on one. i could try the clamps/ties on all of them.

i have shaken the exhaust, from the rear, and was pretty sure that it was hitting somewhere toward the front, but i havent gotten a change to put it up in the air and try it when i can see the pipes. im gonna hopefully try it this weekend, i gotta do this before i get lowered.