5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

i need window help! please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 PM

i need window help! please

OK, i was doing the LED mod and when i did my switch fell apart. i thought i put it together right and put it in my door and it did not work. i bought a new switch and it still did not work. since then i have not been able to get my window to move! so after my mechanic telling me i need a new motor i found a used one that worked 100% and i bought it. when i took my door apart and plugged it in to make sure it worked, all it did was go up. it would not go down. then when i plugged back in the motor that is still in my door it i noticed that it also was trying to go (but it is up so it can't) but wont move down. WTF is up? i have no idea what to do and am getting very aggrevated that i can't use my window. ANYONE please help!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 PM

update: i checked again and the same informations holds but i alsonoticed that my drivers side master controls do not work to put the window up like the actual passenger switch does. It still controls everything else and everything else works but not my passenger window.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:52 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Have you tried taking the switch from the "non-working" passenger window and plugging it into the "working" passenger window?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:55 PM

i'm kinda weary on that only because if i fawk up another window i'm going to be even more pissed off.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:00 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by merovi
i'm kinda weary on that only because if i fawk up another window i'm going to be even more pissed off.
Well, then there is no way that we can source out if you simply have two bad switches, or one good one, thereby allowing us to reduce the degrees of freedom (see: possible root causes),

If you can't do this, well, then I can't help you...hopefully someone else will.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:28 PM

well i dont have my car for the night, but i will try using a good switch on th bad window like u said. but i dont want to put the bad switch in the good window. but if its not the switch what else can it be?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:44 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

well i dont have my car for the night, but i will try using a good switch on th bad window like u said. but i dont want to put the bad switch in the good window. but if its not the switch what else can it be?
Dude, seriously.

Ok, try the NEW switch in the other window. If the switch works in that window, we can take it from there. I will try my darndest to help you, but yoiu have to try that first. Basically, we are looking at the following problem tree, and will rule each item out through process of elimination as determined by testing:

Switch--->Window Motor---->Wiring Harness---->Other

So basically, if we know that the switch works on both windows, we are good to go. Then we can look at the motor from there. However, if you are saying that the master switch panel does not allow you to use the passenger window, I suspect that we have problems with either the harness or the switch itself. First things first, let's rule the switches.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:21 AM

ok, so i took the switch from the window that works and connected it to thee front. same thing, would try to go up and would not move down, also still no master control. so i plugged in the new window motor and same thing, would try to up but wouldn't go down, and no master control.

so i hope that rules out the switch and i'm trying this with diff window motors and both are doing same thing. so i suspect its not that motor either. if it is the harness? how do i go about checking that?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

ok, so i took the switch from the window that works and connected it to thee front. same thing, would try to go up and would not move down, also still no master control. so i plugged in the new window motor and same thing, would try to up but wouldn't go down, and no master control.

so i hope that rules out the switch and i'm trying this with diff window motors and both are doing same thing. so i suspect its not that motor either. if it is the harness? how do i go about checking that?
Ok, cool. So now we know that it's neither of the two. Have you inspected the wires on the harness? Do any of them look damaged? Additionally, take a look at where the wires connect to the harness itself; you may have accidentally yanked one out of there when removing the switch. Worst case scenario, you might have to switch harnesses on door to see if that's the problem, let's hope we needen't go there.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:12 PM

i called my mechanic again and spoke to the family friend and he mentioned that it could be my master switch. because i was doing the LED mod and i notice that something may have smoked. he said that i could have damaged the lead that has to do with the window going down and not affected the part that controls it going up. is this possible? i want to know before i go and buy a new master switch($90).

and no none of the wires looked damaged. although they are all wraped in tape i never saw anything that would lead me to believe that the wires were faulty. no smoke burning or disconnections.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:19 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

i called my mechanic again and spoke to the family friend and he mentioned that it could be my master switch. because i was doing the LED mod and i notice that something may have smoked. he said that i could have damaged the lead that has to do with the window going down and not affected the part that controls it going up. is this possible? i want to know before i go and buy a new master switch($90).

and no none of the wires looked damaged. although they are all wraped in tape i never saw anything that would lead me to believe that the wires were faulty. no smoke burning or disconnections.
Damn, dude...that sucks.

If you're content with the windows at least being up...hodl off until one pops up on eBay.