5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headers and Y-Pipe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Headers and Y-Pipe Questions

I decided to totally re-do my exhaust on an 02 max. I found a great deal on headers and a y-pipe both in stainless. I was thinking of just installing the Y-pipe and selling the headers. I wanted to know if the stock headers are stainless or will they eventually rust out? Also, is it a pain to install headers? Is there any advantage in stalling the headers and the Y-pipe? Or am I better just installing the Y-pipe. I have an exhaust shop that is doing the work.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:50 PM
retired moderator

The stock headers are not stainless, but they will not eventually rust out unless you drive in saltwater constantly for 400,000 miles

Y-pipe is relatively easy to install, whereas headers are pretty difficult, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Also, there are good headers and bad headers for our cars. The hotshot headers are generally accepted as the best, but I wouldn't use the ones off ebay, they will not yeild significant gains AFAIK
Old 05-24-2005, 02:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

What brand headers
Old 05-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j
Y-pipe is relatively easy to install, whereas headers are pretty difficult, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Also, there are good headers and bad headers for our cars. The hotshot headers are generally accepted as the best, but I wouldn't use the ones off ebay, they will not yeild significant gains AFAIK
I thought Cattman was generally accepted as the best, but are more expensive.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

From the original post, it's not clear to me whether he's trying to sell the headers or just the y-pipe., just because the simple fact that the headers and y-pipe cannot be separated when dealing with a "header set", which all manufacturers for 02+ headers are this way. If you're purchasing a y-pipe, and a header set separately, and want to sell either or when you decide which to put on ... that's not smart.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:10 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by D Love
I thought Cattman was generally accepted as the best, but are more expensive.
for the 00-01, the Hotshots are the top ones, from what I've ever seen. No knock on cattman....brian makes great products too. Not sure it's the same for 02-03, but I don't think this guy has HS or cattman anyhow...
Old 05-24-2005, 03:11 PM

The headers and Y-pipe are no-name. They look to be a good quality pipe. From the posted advice I'll stick to my original plan and have the Y-pipe installed and sell the headers. I also noticed that the flanges on my cat are very rusted and the resonator (Greddy) is extremly rotted (pre stainless days). Will I be OK with an aftermarket High Flow Cat or should I look for a stock cat? I'm worried about emissions and longevity. Are EPA approved cats as good as stock? Last questions should I installed another resonator or just run pipe? Will it be much louder without the resonator?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

So neither the HS or Cattman can be separated (headers/y-pipe combo) So to the original poster, leave the set complete ... because the stock manifolds wont line up with the cattman y-pipe, it will only work with their headers attatched .

If you're worried about longevety, get name brand headers. My advice, on a 3.5L don't waste time or money on a y-pipe, get the headers ... Reason #1, the y-pipe doesn't give as good of gains as headers do, and infact, they give even less gains as they do on a 3.0 meaning the 3.0 benefits more from a y-pipe than even a 3.5L does.

So, take my advice as well as 99.99% of header owners ...
Old 05-24-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
for the 00-01, the Hotshots are the top ones, from what I've ever seen. No knock on cattman....brian makes great products too. Not sure it's the same for 02-03, but I don't think this guy has HS or cattman anyhow...
Yeah, it definitely doesn't seem like he has either since, his headers seem to not include the Y-pipe, but he does have an 02. Which, is the year of headers I was talking about, since it's what I drive, and not because I knew that's what he drove, because it wasn't until after your post that I actually looked to see what year car he drove. Since you drive an 00, I'll take your word for it that the Hotshots are better for 00-01's.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Read my post again I edited ... it
Old 05-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you're worried about longevety, get name brand headers. My advice, on a 3.5L don't waste time or money on a y-pipe, get the headers ... Reason #1, the y-pipe doesn't give as good of gains as headers do, and infact, they give even less gains as they do on a 3.0 meaning the 3.0 benefits more from a y-pipe than even a 3.5L does.

So, take my advice as well as 99.99% of header owners ...
I agree, as long as the headers aren't Stillen. Even though I'm still waiting for a deal on the Cattman Catback before I install the Cattman Y-pipe I bought. Oh well, at least the new Y looks better than the stock one!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:48 PM

I guess I jumped the gun (not too smart) because I thought the headers could be seperated from the Y-Pipe but they are a set so I guess I have no choice now but to install them as a set. I really didn't want to get rid of my precats but I read that as long as the car is warm it will pass emisions. Are headers legal in NY? Do you guys think I'll have problems getting my 02 to pass emissions with headers?

Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by traderfjp
I guess I jumped the gun (not too smart) because I thought the headers could be seperated from the Y-Pipe but they are a set so I guess I have no choice now but to install them as a set. I really didn't want to get rid of my precats but I read that as long as the car is warm it will pass emisions. Are headers legal in NY? Do you guys think I'll have problems getting my 02 to pass emissions with headers?

Thanks again.
Headers are technically illegal by federal law, because it involves "tampering" with emissions control equipment. As long as there is no visual inspection, CEL, and your car is fully warmed up so that the main cat is fully functioning (and assuming it works), then you will pass inspections. BUT that too will all depend on the inspector. All the best.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 PM

The headers and Y-pipe are no-name. They look to be a good quality pipe. From the posted advice I'll stick to my original plan and have the Y-pipe installed and sell the headers. I also noticed that the flanges on my cat are very rusted and the resonator (Greddy) is extremly rotted (pre stainless days). Will I be OK with an aftermarket High Flow Cat or should I look for a stock cat? I'm worried about emissions and longevity. Are EPA approved cats as good as stock? Last questions should I installed another resonator or just run pipe? Will it be much louder without the resonator?

Thanks in advance.
Are they eBay headers? If so, then you probably can separate the manifold from the y-pipe based on the design... but I'd say do some good research on em... read this thread as a starting point, paying special attention to the posts by Cattman about header design:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=399952

Get a stock cat or high-flow cat... doesn't really matter... just don't think that the high flow will give you a lot of gains.

If you have a GReddy rear section, running pipes with no resonator will be very loud.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:35 PM

Yes I bought the headers on Ebay. I guess I jumped the gun and should have done more homework. I just donated so I can search and there is no way that I'm going to install headers. I do however want the y-pipe. If I can use the y-pipe then all is well. But I was told by a knowledgeable guy that if you buy them as a combo the y-pipe will usually will not fit the stock setup. Do you know for sure if the Ebay Y-pipe can be used without the headers? I guess I'm earning my newbie status here.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 PM

Yes I bought the headers on Ebay. I guess I jumped the gun and should have done more homework. I just donated so I can search and there is no way that I'm going to install headers. I do however want the y-pipe. If I can use the y-pipe then all is well. But I was told by a knowledgeable guy that if you buy them as a combo they usually will not fit. Do you know for sure if the Ebay Y-pipe can be used without the headers? I guess I'm earning my newbie status here.
No idea... never heard of any 5th or 5.5th gen with the eBay headers... there was a guy with a 2000 saying he was gonna try em, but we've not heard from him since that thread I posted above got locked.

Why don't ya compare the dimensions with a stock y-pipe... might be able to tell from that....
Old 05-24-2005, 07:58 PM

I'm really mad at myself for not just ordering a y-pipe and being done with it. Now I have to drag this pipe to a junk yard for comparison or sell it to someone who has the time and energy to install headers. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:05 PM

I'm thinking of getting the hotshot headers for mine. As I've heard a few horror stories about the cattmans.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:06 PM

I'm really mad at myself for not just ordering a y-pipe and being done with it. Now I have to drag this pipe to a junk yard for comparison or sell it to someone who has the time and energy to install headers. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Just jack your car up and compare the y-pipe ya got to the one on your car... it may not be the most scientific approach, but you should be able to get an idea of how they match up.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:40 PM

For god sakes why can't someone do a header that has high flow precats like in Mustang GT x-pipes. THis way I don't have to get my ***** busted for legal reasons. You can have that precat section be removeable so people can replace the high flow precats over time if they wear out , or run no precats (it would be like a mini test pipe piece between the manifold and y-pipe) The y-pipe could be configured equal length. If they redid a hotshot header that somehow incorporated high flow precats, we'd probably lose about 3-5 hp over the current version which isn't that bad, I'd buy them.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

We already pay enough for headers, what you're suggesting would make the price skyrocket ..
Old 05-25-2005, 03:29 AM

One last question: Are the precats in the Y-pipe or in the manifolds on an 02 Max?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 04:26 AM

One last question: Are the precats in the Y-pipe or in the manifolds on an 02 Max?

Thanks
Manifolds.....
Old 05-25-2005, 02:38 PM

I was thinking all day...Even if the Y-pipe (from the Ebay headers and Y-pipe)don't match up with my stock manifolds I can modify them to work. I might have to cut and weld one side to get it to fit. This is not a problem. So far I bought a EPA approved high flow cat from Warpspeed in stainless, a B-pipe and stainless pipe to the exhauset from Budget which will mate to my existing Greddy muffler. I have 610.00 without installation which should be under 2 bills. Hopefully I can forget about the exhaust for a very, very long time.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:41 PM
dot dot dot ...

Still doesn't remove the power robbing pre cats located in the manifolds, whereas a common y-pipe will do the job with less custom work etc... Simplify your life.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:49 PM

Or do a fed-spec conversion to get the pre-cat on the front manifold out and then you can just stick with your y-pipe....

I say get Hotshot or Cattman headers and call it a day...
Old 05-25-2005, 06:17 PM

Okay what are the horror stories about the Cattman Headers as of five minutes ago i was planning on cattman from headers to muffler, whats the deal
Old 05-25-2005, 06:35 PM

I was wondering how I can tell if my car is setup for California emisions are not?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

I'm scared to install a Y-pipe because, from what I understand, you have to remove the pre-cats? I am from Illinois, and they test every other year for emissions...
Old 05-25-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by amomaxima
Okay what are the horror stories about the Cattman Headers as of five minutes ago i was planning on cattman from headers to muffler, whats the deal
None that I've heard of... got any specific examples you can quote?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:17 PM

I was wondering how I can tell if my car is setup for California emisions are not?
For exactly how to tell, look in the FAQs... but if you have an 02, you're Cali spec.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Army of Maxima
I'm scared to install a Y-pipe because, from what I understand, you have to remove the pre-cats? I am from Illinois, and they test every other year for emissions...
True that ya have to remove the pre-cats (they are in your stock y-pipe) but if your main cat works fine, and if your car is fully warmed up at the time of inspection, you will pass emissions. If the inspector decides to do a visual however, ya may have some explaining to do.

Btw, there are a ton of .Org guys in IL with headers, y-pipes and they're passing emissions it seems... Stardust, BlackbirdVQ, etc...
Old 05-25-2005, 07:20 PM

Cattman offer very good quality products, I' ve been using Cattman Y-Pipe for almost 3 years now, I never had a single problem, no CEL or anything. Cattman products are well design and specifically made for our cars, the quality of their products is one of the best in the industry. I've been dealing with Brian Catts for many years now and he's a great guy and so the products. I've never heard of any horror story about Cattman and I've been on the org for 4 year +. As for the headers I'm on the waiting list for the next batch of Cattman.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:37 PM

Just checked in the pouring raing and yes my emissions are Cali. Does this mean I need a special Y-pipe.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:44 PM

Just checked in the pouring raing and yes my emissions are Cali. Does this mean I need a special Y-pipe.
Since ALL 2002-2003s are CALI spec, there is no "special" y-pipe for em.... one size fits all...
Old 05-25-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Since ALL 2002-2003s are CALI spec, there is no "special" y-pipe for em.... one size fits all...
Btw, I meant any aftermarket y-pipe meant for a 02-03 will work, since they're all the same emissions spec.... just make sure its for an 02-03.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 PM

Puppetmaster you made my night.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 02:20 PM

so i have a question that may be stupid. the cattman headers are theony ones i have been able to find for a 2k. so would the hotshot work even though the 3.5 is what they are designed for. i know this may seem obviouse to others but i have no idea if the exhaust components are the same for a 2k or a 2k2
Old 05-26-2005, 02:41 PM

they would fit with some modefications. and i beleive you need to relocate an o2 sensor.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

Puppet's a but so am I ....

Cliff notes :

All 02+ Maximas are CALI spec, and that would require the relocation of 2 O2 sensors, or the use of a simulator. If FED spec, only one needs relocation.

Other options include ...

Y-pipe, so so gains on 3.5L, good gains in 3.0L.

Covert to fed spec (has been done before), but getting headers is probably a better option since you're doing essentially the same thing, but with pre-fabbed components.

Hot Shot( readily available) need some custom work. BlackBIRD had done it as well as a few other members.

Cattman (backorder now)

All 3.0's running in good shape(No CEL,SES etc) will pass emissions with a y-pipe as long as the vehicle is fully warmed up. I'm not sure if this holds true with headers, but see no reason why they shouldn't being that 3.0 FED y-pipes eliminate all pre-cats and only leave one cat in place ( the main one) and the headers do the same, so as long as the main cat stays, you fully warm up car before testing, and you have no CEL's or a SES light, you're good to go. Somebody me if I missed something ..

Quick Reply: Headers and Y-Pipe Questions