5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headers and Y-Pipe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Puppet's a but so am I ....

Cliff notes :

All 02+ Maximas are CALI spec, and that would require the relocation of 2 O2 sensors, or the use of a simulator. If FED spec, only one needs relocation.

Other options include ...

Y-pipe, so so gains on 3.5L, good gains in 3.0L.

Covert to fed spec (has been done before), but getting headers is probably a better option since you're doing essentially the same thing, but with pre-fabbed components.

Hot Shot( readily available) need some custom work. BlackBIRD had done it as well as a few other members.

Cattman (backorder now)

All 3.0's running in good shape(No CEL,SES etc) will pass emissions with a y-pipe as long as the vehicle is fully warmed up. I'm not sure if this holds true with headers, but see no reason why they shouldn't being that 3.0 FED y-pipes eliminate all pre-cats and only leave one cat in place ( the main one) and the headers do the same, so as long as the main cat stays, you fully warm up car before testing, and you have no CEL's or a SES light, you're good to go. Somebody me if I missed something ..

Nice restatement of a lot of what I said... so to what Nmexmax said, since I said some of it too....

Btw, if ya already have a y-pipe, the FED spec conversion seems like a cheap way to add a bit more HP, instead of spending the money to get headers. It really depends on what you're after.