5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

StreetScenes or GrilleTech Grille????

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:39 PM

StreetScenes or GrilleTech Grille????

Any recommendation on which one of these i should cop. The grilletech is about 1/5 of the price of the street scenes equip grille for my 2k1, but is it that much cheaper for a reason? Is the thing gonna fall apart?
Basically i was gonna get the SS grille, and just dremel out the existing grille like somebody just did in their writeup recently, but should i save the money and get the grilletech instead? Let me know your experience with either one.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Haven't checked out grille-tech in a while but the last time I did they were in the development process of the 00-01 grille. I have the SS and I LOVE IT, ppl tell me how it changes the whole look of the car. I know the grille tech is available on the 02-03 but I don't like how it seems pushed back... IMO the Street Scene looks much better!!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:04 AM

I love my SS grille....
Totally new look and its great!
Old 05-25-2005, 03:44 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Check out JMS grilles also.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:47 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I love, love, love my SS grille...you will too!!!!

I did a write up on how to install the grille without removing the OEM bumper, link can be found HERE.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:30 AM
SHIFT_this

How hard is it to install the lower valance grille? I just ordered one. I plan to order the main later depending on how I feel about the lower.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:41 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Ryals
How hard is it to install the lower valance grille? I just ordered one. I plan to order the main later depending on how I feel about the lower.
Not hard at all. You have to pry away the air dam cover which is attached to the bumper (6 pop tabs) and simply attach. You will need zip-ties in order to attach them, though. The clips they will give you are teh worthlessness.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:44 AM
SHIFT_this

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Not hard at all. You have to pry away the air dam cover which is attached to the bumper (6 pop tabs) and simply attach. You will need zip-ties in order to attach them, though. The clips they will give you are teh worthlessness.
Hey Metal, is that the chrome SS grille or the other plain one thats cheaper?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:37 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

It's the plain (anodized aluminum), cheaper, easier to clean, longer lasting, least succeptible to oxidation & corrosion one.

Not the blingy, thugged-out, ghetto-cruiser, pImP-Mah-Maximuh y0, inferior finish one.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I purchased the Grille-Tech black, Race style upper and lower grills for my '03 a month or so ago and I love them. I know that everyone was saying that they would rust, but so far so good. However, I do make sure that that I am constantly giving them attention. I wash my car atleast once a week and when I do, I make sure to completely dry the grills. Also, I make sure to pick off the bugs and whatever else the grill catches. The only thing that makes me a little hot was the fact that I already have a little spot where the black paint is chipped off. I guess a small rock chipped off some of the paint, but it really is unnoticeable. At any rate, since I got all three grills for around $85 shipped off ebay, I thought I would give them a try. Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:33 PM

yea,i was wondering that too
Old 05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
SHIFT_this

Originally Posted by instil
yea,i was wondering that too
Yeah I thought I had seen the chrome version and its a bit to flashy for my taste.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the imput. I'm gonna go with the Street Scenes non-chrome, since everybody that has one has had a good experience. Imma try that Metalmax writeup to install it. Taking off the bumper seems a bit much.

Tonight though i'm doing that brighten the gauge cluster mod.Metalmax, whats up with the instructions on changing the shifter light color on your cardomain page?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

I have a Trenz on my 2k3...
Old 05-26-2005, 04:03 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Thanks for the imput. I'm gonna go with the Street Scenes non-chrome, since everybody that has one has had a good experience. Imma try that Metalmax writeup to install it. Taking off the bumper seems a bit much.

Tonight though i'm doing that brighten the gauge cluster mod.Metalmax, whats up with the instructions on changing the shifter light color on your cardomain page?
That is a personal job I do for members @ $30 a pop.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:35 AM

can anyone tell me where i can get the Grill for my 00 Max.... give me the link so i purchase it. Thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 07:23 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by crazy russian
can anyone tell me where i can get the Grill for my 00 Max.... give me the link so i purchase it. Thanks
Stillen.com
Old 05-26-2005, 08:00 AM

SS grille works nice for me. Only complaint is the length of the lower grille. doesn't go from end to end like I thought. Unless this is the wrong part they sent me I'd check it out first.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by JB 20th Ann'y
SS grille works nice for me. Only complaint is the length of the lower grille. doesn't go from end to end like I thought. Unless this is the wrong part they sent me I'd check it out first.

It doesn't? You might want to check your mounting, mine leaves no gaps.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:15 PM
SHIFT_this

To Cut or Not to Cut, That is the Question?

Is it better to cut out the grille to install the SS Grille? I mean can you really see the grille behind it that well if you don't. Something about cuttin on my car makes feel bad. So I take it the upper SS Grille isn't held in by zip ties? where that write up you did metal so i can save it?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:18 AM

Rather than start a new post I'll continue the subject.

Last year I purchased these Street Scenes Grilles USED. It was all faded, but I had my friend clean it up and had them painted black. I finally decided to get them on the Maxima. The upper grille had to come off because it was scratching the main grille. Details and more pics on my cardomain site.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is this the only design for our Maximas? I wanted something a little different. Does anyone have URL's?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:09 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Is it better to cut out the grille to install the SS Grille? I mean can you really see the grille behind it that well if you don't. Something about cuttin on my car makes feel bad. So I take it the upper SS Grille isn't held in by zip ties? where that write up you did metal so i can save it?
IMHO, it looks like a cheap grille if you do not cut it out. You do need to hold it in place with zipties, I cannot see how anyone could use the clips. I posted a HOW-TO in the forums here, I'll find ya the link later on today.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:07 AM

I used what clips I could on the main grille, then put two screws into the bottom part of the grille. It doesnt budge.

I decided to cut out the original b/c you can see it through the new more then not and I thought it looked pretty bad.

As far as other designs, I couldnt find too many others
Old 05-31-2005, 06:45 AM

i felt how you feel now,i wasnt ready to go ahead and cut out my grille. But,check that picture right under your post,you can clearly see dudes original grille through the new one. Compare that to metalmaximas pic earlier in this post,that looks clean. I saw a few pics from various peeps who left the factory grille in,and just covered it with the new one. Those 5-6 pics were all i needed to see to get the dremel out. I'll be chopping away mine this week. Ill post some pics in a few days if i stay motivated and get it done
Old 05-31-2005, 06:47 AM

with all that being said, that black grill over the factory grill still looks better than my untouched stock front end.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:32 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

How to install a Street Scenes Grille without removing the bumper
Old 05-31-2005, 09:24 AM

ahh... .the good old grille comparison..

grilletechs are CHEAP! but looks nice, probably get them from ebay, but they rust, so you must get is rust proofed. (i did that, and had no problems since)

street scenes and JMS grilles are awesome. I love them, but since i have a grille tech, why spend the extra $$.

I would have gottten a street scene grille if I had the opportunity to chose again.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:14 PM

I would have gottten a street scene grille if I had the opportunity to chose again.
thats the kind of decisiveness (sp) i was looking for.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
SHIFT_this

I guess I'll go ahead and chop away!! I've seen so many SS grilles on here, some with and w/o the OEM grille still in. On the few I have seen still in, I could barely see the Grille behind it, except for that max with the black painted SS grille in the above post. I can see that one real clear. Are there differ types of the SS grille, because I swear sometime that some grilles seem to have bigger opening in them than others?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM

Maybe its because his SS grill is black,and the original is silver,so it stands out. Ive noticed in the few that just put the SS over the OEM grill, you can see the grill under the
SS one if its a bright color (ie: not painted black) or if its in the sunlight.
Im chopping mine out when i get the new grill,early next week.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
What air dam cover are you talking about exactly? Are the 6 pop tabs the vertical notches? I was wondering what to do with those when the grill was attached and I figured the grill went in front of them. Also, where exactly to the zip ties attach to?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:40 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by sublimer
What air dam cover are you talking about exactly? Are the 6 pop tabs the vertical notches? I was wondering what to do with those when the grill was attached and I figured the grill went in front of them. Also, where exactly to the zip ties attach to?
Yeah, right underneath of the bumper...take a look, you will see them. I might have my nomenclature wrong.

The zip ties can be attached wherever...in all honesty, attaching the zipties really depends on how thick a persons forearm is. Skinner, longer foreamrs = way more ability to secure. My forearms are neither, and I still managed! I just attached to the remaining screw mounts for the grille fasica.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:46 PM

with all that being said, that black grill over the factory grill still looks better than my untouched stock front end.
Thanks for the comp! I took the pic just for placement and to see how it would look. At this point I'm going to remove the Nissan emblem before I finally strap it down.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
Thanks for the comp! I took the pic just for placement and to see how it would look. At this point I'm going to remove the Nissan emblem before I finally strap it down.
maybe if you dont wanna cut out the oem grill,if you painted it black it wouldnt show through as bad
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 AM

maybe if you dont wanna cut out the oem grill,if you painted it black it wouldnt show through as bad
Yeah, I thought about that. I wish the OEM grill could be removed like on the 02-03s. Then it would be much easier to paint. I still have time to decide. I have to work on padding the edges of the ss grill so it doesn't scratch the OEM grill.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 PM
SHIFT_this

I'm going to cut my grille out simply because I know I will be replacing it in the near future. So if I don't like this one cut out (which I Doubt) I won't cut out the next grille.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:41 PM
I miss the .org!

I'm a little late on this one, but the Street Scenes looks WAAAAY better
Old 06-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I'm a little late on this one, but the Street Scenes looks WAAAAY better
Do you have one? Thats why i made the thread,because in pictures they look basically the same...But I didnt know if in person,you could clearly see that the SS grill is better quality/better fit, or if there really wasnt any difference.
Im getting the SS grill this week from a .org member,and im gonna cut out the oem grill also. Anybody whos deciding which one to get,ill let you know how it looks when im done
Old 06-01-2005, 05:29 PM

I think grills if they are done wrong will make your car look like a POS. Make sure its not ghetto and chromed out and keep the hamburger there.

Quick Reply: StreetScenes or GrilleTech Grille????