5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Homelink in Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 04:52 PM

Hi all,

Just took delivery of my Maxima SE today, and had a question for the group. Can the "Homelink" visor be installed by an end-consumer? I'm handy with a screwdriver and just about any sort of electronics work including soldering. Is this just a fancy visor replacement?

Thanks,

Jack Smith
Old 05-16-2001, 05:02 PM
Got Bent?

I am pretty sure it is wired to constant power since it works even with the car off. So it may not be as easy as a visor replacement.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:32 PM

The visor mirror also lights up when the car is off, so that wouldn't be an issue. The issue would be, is the entire Homelink system self-contained in the visor or are there other parts of it housed elsewhere in the car. Also, is the necessary wiring harness present to support it. If the answer to both questions is yes, I think you're in luck.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:19 PM

More on Homelink

Thanks for the quick responses, folks. I suppose my next step is to see if the local parts guys are willing to divulge that info, and see exactly how expensive it is.

The thing is, my old garage remote is big and ugly, and really doesn't fit in any convenient place in the Max (I'm talking about one of the old Sears remotes, about the size of a TV remote). So, I can plunk down 50 bucks on a new remote, or try to go for the Nissan solution. We'll see how it goes, and I'll report back!

Jack
Old 05-16-2001, 06:56 PM

rather than go through the whole hassle, why don't you just buy a mini remote that's compatible with your electric garage opener...
Old 05-16-2001, 10:57 PM

You brought up another issue - would the Homelink transmitter be compatible with your old garage remote system. Before attempting to install it, you need to bring a buddy over who has a Homelink and see if it will work with your remote. If not, you may need to buy a whole new garage door opener. Something to think about...
Old 05-17-2001, 06:44 AM

I looked into this because my garage door opener is about 27 years old! (at least it works) It's almost as old as me My remote is HUGE. Everyone always asks what in the hell that thing is....so I keep it in the center console cup holder.

Your garage door opener needs to be made after 1982 (I think) in order to work with the Homelink.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:34 AM
HawaiiA33

The thing I don't find useful about the Homelink system in the visor is that it won't work if you have a newer type "code hopping" garage door opener. That is, you have to disable the code hopping on your opener for the Homelink system to work. NISSAN fails to warn people of this in the manual, and the brochures mislead as well.

Old 05-18-2001, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by HawaiiA33
The thing I don't find useful about the Homelink system in the visor is that it won't work if you have a newer type "code hopping" garage door opener. That is, you have to disable the code hopping on your opener for the Homelink system to work. NISSAN fails to warn people of this in the manual, and the brochures mislead as well.
I disagree, at least with my garage door opener. I have a "rolling code" opener, and was able to program the home link to work. When I got my Maxima, there was a card insert with the manual with instructions. The actual programming of the Homelink was actually a little different (a couple of the button pushes were in a different secuence, but it worked, and I use it every day.

I also programmed the other two buttons to turn on lights in my entryway and living room, using my (existing) X-10 lighting system at home.
Old 05-18-2001, 07:28 AM
MajesticMax

I also have a rolling code garage door opener and it works. In my case the directions we're exactly as the card described, except that you need two people to do it.

One to push and hold the button on the homelink and the other to press the learn button on the garage door opener.

My garage door opener is a craftsman, hope that helps.

Old 05-18-2001, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by MajesticMax
I also have a rolling code garage door opener and it works. In my case the directions we're exactly as the card described, except that you need two people to do it.

One to push and hold the button on the homelink and the other to press the learn button on the garage door opener.

My garage door opener is a craftsman, hope that helps.
It depends on the frequency band in which the garage door operates... that's specific to the garage door manufacturer. In some old model garage door openers, you can replace the receive module.
Old 05-20-2001, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by HawaiiA33
This is incorrect. I've got a new genie GCG350L (1/2hp chain drive) with the rolling code feature. Works as advertised.

Maybe this is new for 2001, but the descriptions on how to program it is in the owner's manual, pg. 2-32 through 2-35. (I also got a plastic card on how to do it from my dealer.)

Oh, and to answer another question in this thread, and also in the owner's manual:

The Integrated HomeLink Universal Transceiver power will automatically turn off 30 minutes after the ignition switch has been turned to the off position.
Old 05-20-2001, 03:08 PM
HawaiiA33

I just checked the Homelink homepage, and they state that their system is a rolling code type of transmitter. Cool.

Old 05-21-2001, 03:48 PM

Courtesy says "yes"

Just got word from Courtesy Nissan - the Homelink should be able to be installed "aftermarket". It is a visor replacement that uses the vanity light power supply. It is $314.

On a related note, I've built my own. Pics and write up will follow soon.

Jack