5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

what's going on

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 05:43 AM

what's going on

My 03 max is running just great and now all of a sudden my trunk release won't work............I am so bummed by this..........I never realized what a whuppin it was to always have to use the key to opern the trunk..........has anyone had this happen to their max.........is it expensive to fix.........it stills makes a loud click sound but the trunk won't open..........agghhh.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there is a valet lock. Check to see if it is locked...when i first got mine, the trunk was locked, but i soon figured out that i could open it with the master key, but not the valet key or the remote...the locking mechanism switch is on the inside of the trunk and it looks like the child safety locks on our rear doors...
Old 06-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
there is a valet lock. Check to see if it is locked...when i first got mine, the trunk was locked, but i soon figured out that i could open it with the master key, but not the valet key or the remote...the locking mechanism switch is on the inside of the trunk and it looks like the child safety locks on our rear doors...

Check to see if there's a click when you use the remote next to the trunk - if so, the valet lock is on. Reach down inside the trunk (not lid), right past the latch - there's a switch that slides down.

If you don't here the click, there has to be a wire providing power to the lock. Maybe the connector came loose?
Old 06-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

on the valet lock... that goes for the child locks on the rear doors as well...
Old 06-05-2005, 05:02 AM

Thanks to all for the help with the trunk..........the valet lock had been thrown..................now works great............Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.........jl