5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Progress vs. H&R: I need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 PM

Progress vs. H&R: I need your help!

I can't decide what suspension set up to go with so I decided I'd go to you guys and see what your suggestions/opinions were. I'm caught between Progress and H&R springs and I need your help deciding on one. I like the Progress springs because of their even drop and low price, but the I like the H&R's because of their reputable name and I also heard they offer the best ride and handling. I dont like how the front is still higher than the rear with the H&R's and also the price is much higher than Progress. I also haven't heard much about Progress but I have their RSB installed and it seems like good quality. If anyone has these springs installed, please feel free to give any imput. I'd especially like to know how stiff the ride is with Progress springs. Also, I've seen a lot of pictures with the Progress, but not many with the H&R's, so you have pics, please post! I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions/freedback. Thanks!

Also, I've visited the innerbeam/housecor site but I still cant decide.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
"tse-tse fly"

I chose progress (check sig) drop is even but ride is bouncy...not ricer cut springs bouncy but not as smooth as Teins....the ride is stiffer than stock but I believe that is from aftermarket struts (tokico) which is necessary when you change your springs hope that helps...
Old 06-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2K3MAX2NV
I chose progress (check sig) drop is even but ride is bouncy...not ricer cut springs bouncy but not as smooth as Teins....the ride is stiffer than stock but I believe that is from aftermarket struts (tokico) which is necessary when you change your springs hope that helps...
Smooth as teins....maybee H-teins, b/c i got s- tein with kyb, and the car feels like crap.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:28 PM

But since I've gone from Tokico HPs to Tokico Illuminas, there is much less bounciness and it feels nice and firm (I'm set at 4F 3R). Handling is much better than stock with either struts.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:03 PM

By Teins, are you talking about the H-techs? I might consider those too because the drop seems pretty even. From what you said I might be leaning away from Progress...also, are you running HP's or Illuminas?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:34 PM
"tse-tse fly"

i've got HP's and yea im talking about H techs, I rode In my friends car with kyb's and H techs and the ride is smoother than mine yet he does rub slightly cuz he's got 19's
Old 06-13-2005, 06:43 PM

i've got HP's and yea im talking about H techs, I rode In my friends car with kyb's and H techs and the ride is smoother than mine yet he does rub slightly cuz he's got 19's
so youve got Progress and HP's and your saying the ride is kinda stiff and bouncy? Do you regret it? Cause that was the exact set up I was going to go with, but maybe I'll go with the Tein or H&R.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by sublimer
so youve got Progress and HP's and your saying the ride is kinda stiff and bouncy? Do you regret it? Cause that was the exact set up I was going to go with, but maybe I'll go with the Tein or H&R.
Progress and HPs are comfy but bouncy sometimes... the springs are too low for the struts and they don't damper well enough. I had that set-up and now I have Progress and Illuminas, which are great, so I would recommend that. Setting 3 on the Illuminas are perfect for the Progress springs because it is a nice ride and it handles great. You could also try H-techs, I've heard nothing but good things about those. Soonerfan has H&Rs on my old HPs and he's happy with em, I personally just like a lower drop.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:56 PM

Btw... past discussions about Progress springs:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....rogress+h-tech

Old 06-14-2005, 04:44 AM

Ok thanx for the info....I got the idea about Progress springs and HP's and they're still not completely out of the question. No one really seems to talk about the H&R's though...It would be great if I could have some feedback/pics with those. I'm looking for something that compromises between low ride height and a quality ride....
Old 06-14-2005, 05:18 AM

Ok thanx for the info....I got the idea about Progress springs and HP's and they're still not completely out of the question. No one really seems to talk about the H&R's though...It would be great if I could have some feedback/pics with those. I'm looking for something that compromises between low ride height and a quality ride....
I'll talk about the H&R's for you. I've had them for about 8 months now and they are awesome. I have them on Illuminas set on 2F/2R and they are smoother/softer than the stock setup. They handle extremely well and the ride is certainly unparalled by any other spring for the 5th gen that I've experienced (H-Tech is the only one I haven't drove on at one time or another and I hear those are pretty good ride quality as well) Many will complain about the rear "sagging" effect but the springs are guaranteed never to sag by H&R whose german engineering, quality, and warrantees make them a great company. The shape of the fenders contribute to this appearance along with the stock ride height of the front and rear which H&R has lowered to a height they believe is optimal for ride quality/handling. I admit that I find myself wishing I was dropped lower in the front from time to time, but everytime I go over a bump or transition in the road or take a ride in a fellow .orgers car lowered without H&R's I remember why I continue to choose to keep mine. Hope this helps.

here's a couple pictures so you can see the ride height...

Old 06-14-2005, 09:51 AM

does anyone have pics of there car on H-techs + Illuminas, thats the setup i'm leaning towards, + do they illuminas seem to hold up well i drive 40-50 miles a day and i need something that'll last for a while
Old 06-14-2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Max'dMatt2k3
does anyone have pics of there car on H-techs + Illuminas, thats the setup i'm leaning towards, + do they illuminas seem to hold up well i drive 40-50 miles a day and i need something that'll last for a while
Epacy does...check his homepage
Old 06-14-2005, 03:17 PM

ok ive pretty much narrowed it down to the H-techs and H&Rs. Both with HPs. I like the drop on the H-techs more so I'm leaning that way. Thanx for the help.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:28 PM

ok ive pretty much narrowed it down to the H-techs and H&Rs. Both with HPs. I like the drop on the H-techs more so I'm leaning that way. Thanx for the help.
those were my exact two choices a while ago as well, and i FINALLY decided to go for the H-techs....i mean, the H&Rs do offer the best ride apparently, but the H-techs aren't by any means harsh, so why not get a more even and less expensive ride? I wasn't all THAT concerned about keeping the ride as smooth as possible, and i'm sure that between the H&Rs and the H-techs the difference in ride quality is very negligable, so I chose to go with what looks better since the other factors were fairly close in relation...
Old 06-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

My H&R's great. would like it to be a little lower though. I am still on stock struts. I got a set of S-techs sitting in room. But I am waiting for my coilovers.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Post pics when ya have it installed... H-techs would have been my first choice if the great deal I got on my Progress springs didn't come along... I may still switch to em down the line sometime...
Old 06-14-2005, 10:24 PM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

if you're looking for a very even, slightly more aggressive ride stance why not try upgrading the front suspension only? there are several people (including me ) with the front dropped on hr or eibach and stock rear springs. imo it looks better than a slightly lower rear and you'll never have to worry about the sag. plus you'll still get a significant handling improvement, especially if you have other suspension mods. if you're looking for wide open handling over looks then better off with the full drop.

here's a pic of mine with the only the front dropped.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:24 AM

I've tried eibachs, H&Rs and Progress.

eibach - too stiff
H&R - too uneven (still stiff)
Progress - a bit stiffer than H&R but the car sits alot better.

Current setup - Progress front / H&R rear, Tokico Illuminas 4/3
Old 06-15-2005, 04:46 AM

I know Im definiately going with HP's, so ride comfort, handling, and looks are all going to be taken into account. I agree with maxilvr in that both H&R and H-techs offer a good ride, yet H-techs look better. Most agree that Progress will be bouncy on HP's and there are a lot of so-so roads in my area so that setup probably wont work for me. With my strut choice and "requirements," I think H-techs will be the best fit. I will certainly post pics when I get them installed (probably later on this summer). In the meantime, does anyone else have pics of H-techs on stock rims? I already checked the houscor site....Thanks.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Just as a follow up, I purchased a set of brand new H-techs I found in the classifieds forum. I'll be looking around for some HP's to complete the set up.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2nyc
I've tried eibachs, H&Rs and Progress.

eibach - too stiff
H&R - too uneven (still stiff)
Progress - a bit stiffer than H&R but the car sits alot better.

Current setup - Progress front / H&R rear, Tokico Illuminas 4/3
I was thinking about mixing springs as well, how's that working out for you? Can anyone else chime in on this? Pros? Cons?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by wu54736
I was thinking about mixing springs as well, how's that working out for you? Can anyone else chime in on this? Pros? Cons?
Some comments here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=390165
Old 06-16-2005, 07:14 AM

Thanks, good thread.

I need to work on my thread searching skills.

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster