5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H-Tech's & Illumina's coming. A FEW ?'s though

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 05:36 PM

H-Tech's & Illumina's coming. A FEW ?'s though

OK so I finaly made up my mind on the set-up.
Is there anything else I'll need?
Boot's
bushing's
alignment kit
etc.

Also should I do anyyhing to the bump stops?

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Sanduguero

Originally Posted by ecko51
Boot's
bushing's
alignment kit
etc.

Thanks, Mike

just cut half of the bump stops...
Old 06-15-2005, 05:58 PM
importuner

this may be a stupid quest, but why does the bump stop need to be cut half way?

Old 06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i just bought the same exact setup! i have yet to install it though, since my car is not with me....
Old 06-15-2005, 06:55 PM

the alignment kit is required on all drops right? more so with say S techs right???? well if u want your tires too last?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ecko51
Boot's
bushing's
alignment kit
etc.

Thanks, Mike
Have your purchased your setup yet if not PM me and ill give you a great price
Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 PM

I did a suspension drop with Progress springs and Illumina struts. You can cut off half your bumpstops, or buy kyb bumpstops and dustboots from Cattman or others. Stock bumpstop will not allow enough suspension travel for lowered car. You'd have bottoming and void your Illumina warranty.
Be very careful with spring compressor, esp if you haven't used one before. Folks have been killed by springs getting loose. Treat your compressed spring like a loaded gun and don't point it at anyone or thing important.

It does matter how fronts go back in - make a mark on top of one of the bolts and the corresponding hole on top of strut tower and you'll be okay.

Keep and reuse the little gray plastic spring covers on your stock springs. MAke a mental note of how they are installed, and install same way on new springs. You can stick 'em on with a bead of silicone gasket goop. These keep springs from making noise.

When I installed mine the first time, I separated the front hubs from the axles for more room. When installing new front Illumina to replace my screwed-up one (see below) I found this was not necessary. Could get enough play in stuff to muscle it in w/o separating from axles. Removed calipers, tied out fo the way, and unbolted strut; top and bottom.

Do not undo the middle nut on top of strut until strut is out of car and spring compressors are on. This is the bomb fuse! Just undo top three nuts and bottom two bolts. Put assembly with spring compressors on in a vice or lay on floor, then remove top nut and carefully relieve spring tension. Assembly is reverse of above.

Or ignore everything above, and just read factory service manual.

When installing your illuminas, be very careful to not overtorque the top nut. I was a super bonehead and twisted the top right off one - of course one of the expensive front ones, not the cheaper back ones!

Progress drops 1.5" in back and 1.8" in front, I think. No alignment kit was required for me or others - and alignment was exactly in spec after install with no adjustment. If your alignment is good now, it probably will be fine after the install. If you don't know if it's good, get an alignment. The angle that might change (but doesn't seem to) is camber. This isn't adjustable without camber plates; and the guys who buy camber plates are usually trying to get even more negative camber for better grip on autocross. If your camber is out by a smidgen, it isn't the end of the world and your tires should wear fine. The alignment shop will let you know; provided you get an alignment.

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy the look and the ride!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:33 PM

i droll over your snailshell....
Old 06-15-2005, 11:27 PM

Can I ask you guy where you are getting your Illuminas?

procarparts has been out of stock on the rears
xshocks $435 Paypal I can't get to work
other sites are $100 or more over those.

BTW I have H & R springs waiting to beinstalled.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 AM

I'm on Progress and Illuminas, using no alignment kit and stock bumpstops... bumpstops are uncut (haven't had any bottoming out issues at all with this set-up)... didn't have to take anything else apart to get the struts mounted, but like already mentioned, just be really careful with the spring compressing.

Oh yeah, be sure to grease the thrust bearing and replace it the right way up. Basically, when ya dismantle the strut, make sure you replace everything in the exact reverse order so ya know where everything went.

I still haven't gotten an alignment, but everything is okay... seems to have a little more wear on the inside of the tires although its not too bad... I'll get an alignment soon though.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:29 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by seventy5impala
the alignment kit is required on all drops right? more so with say S techs right???? well if u want your tires too last?
alignment kit as in camber kit? You don't need a camber kit. Just get your car aligned after your springs settle. I would wait about 1-2 weeks.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:48 AM
OU > *

Yeah, I am about to drop on H&Rs and Illuminas and have been talking to Dave Burnette about all of the parts I should replace when doing the change. I already purchased two front upper strut mounts from him (since the dealer told me they were on their way out) and will most likely buy new bearings as well. Other than that though, I am not exactly sure what else I might be needing to order to make sure the install is correct.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:06 AM
+Cru OG

has anyone tried using the Vogtland brand springs? supposedly 1.3" drop on four corners.