4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Which shock/strut combination would you rather have?
KYB AGX (adjustable)
54.39%
Tokico Illumina (adjustable)
31.58%
Tokico High Performance (non-adjustable)
3.51%
Koni all the way! (adjustable inserts)
10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

KYB AGX vs. Tokico Illumina

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 01:41 PM

KYB AGX vs. Tokico Illumina

I guess the Illuminas are out, but not much has been discussed about them.

The only place with a short search i found that carries them is option auto salon here:

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...1508&last=1508

TOKICO ADJ SHOCK: MAXIMA 95-97 (FR)
Item#: T-BB3102 $187.00
Tokico Illumina Adjustable Gas Shock (Front Right) for Nissan Maxima 95-3/99 Adjustable Shock/Strut (Priced Individually)

TOKICO ADJ SHOCK: MAXIMA 95-97 (FL)
Item#: T-BB3103 $187.00
Tokico Illumina Adjustable Gas Shock (Front Left) for Nissan Maxima 95-3/99 Adjustable Shock/Strut (Priced Individually)

TOKICO ADJ SHOCK: MAXIMA 95-97 (REAR)
Item#: T-BU2905 $87.00
Tokico Illumina Adjustable Gas Shock (Rear) for Nissan Maxima 95-3/99 Adjustable Shock/Strut (Priced Individually)

So, what would you guys rather put on your car? And if anyone has them, please, speak up.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Chris, I doubt you'll find many people who have Illuminas since the AGXs are so popular. For pure performance I still think Koni is the way to go, but I love my AGXs. Price will probably determine which ones are the most popular.
-hype
Old 08-04-2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
Chris, I doubt you'll find many people who have Illuminas since the AGXs are so popular. For pure performance I still think Koni is the way to go, but I love my AGXs. Price will probably determine which ones are the most popular.
-hype
I've heard that under hard driving the AGX's become softer, have you noticed any of that?
Old 08-04-2002, 09:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Xtreme5053

I've heard that under hard driving the AGX's become softer, have you noticed any of that?
No I haven't, but I'll let you know after I do some autocrosses later this year. In general I run 1/2 on my AGXs, and I only bump them to 4/8 when I'm racing at the track or autocrossing.
-hype
Old 11-02-2002, 07:01 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: KYB AGX vs. Tokico Illumina

The only place with a short search i found that carries them is option auto salon here:

Tokico Illumina Adjustable Gas Shock (Front Right) for Nissan Maxima 95-3/99 Adjustable Shock/Strut (Priced Individually)

Tokico Illumina Adjustable Gas Shock (Front Left) for Nissan Maxima 95-3/99 Adjustable Shock/Strut (Priced Individually)

Tokico Illumina Adjustable Gas Shock (Rear) for Nissan Maxima 95-3/99 Adjustable Shock/Strut (Priced Individually)

So, what would you guys rather put on your car? And if anyone has them, please, speak up.
i been asking around as well..

www.southwestautoworks.com has the tokicos as well
Old 11-02-2002, 07:35 AM

Re: Re: KYB AGX vs. Tokico Illumina

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

i been asking around as well..

www.southwestautoworks.com has the tokicos as well
at first i went with tokico shock and i blew them in less than 9 months. i don't race my car and as most of you know i have the slowest max on the org. i'm that 1% of all show and no go. i just pimp around (lol lol). i need new shocks and this is what i came out with.

i didn't go with koni because of the fact you have to re-use the old front strut to install them.

and because you have to take off the rear shocks every time you want to adjust them. i also saved money by getting the agx and i also saved money on the installation. the agx are so easy to adjust.

so when i compared the 2 shocks, the agx came out on top.

i hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:44 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: Re: KYB AGX vs. Tokico Illumina

Originally posted by 97GLES
at first i went with tokico shock and i blew them in less than 9 months. i don't race my car and as most of you know i have the slowest max on the org. i'm that 1% of all show and no go. i just pimp around (lol lol). i need new shocks and this is what i came out with.

i didn't go with koni because of the fact you have to re-use the old front strut to install them.

and because you have to take off the rear shocks every time you want to adjust them. i also saved money by getting the agx and i also saved money on the installation. the agx are so easy to adjust.

so when i compared the 2 shocks, the agx came out on top.

i hope this helps.

did you go with the tokico blues or the adjustable illuminas?

i have the blues now and i will be installing sprints springs in the spring time, so i will be needing a good set of shocks/struts
Old 11-02-2002, 11:10 AM

Re: KYB AGX vs. Tokico Illumina

Hey guys, SouthwestAutoworks.com has them for around 500 I think...that's a lot of money...

RL
Old 09-07-2003, 11:59 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

430 on ebay for illuminas, the illuminas have the best combo imho after driving in a car with them, i can attest to their handling and their great comfort, they keep you planted and alleviate roll better than kyb's (my bro has kyb agxs)
Old 09-07-2003, 02:01 PM

ebay sells them for $445
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33590

the org group deal has them for $450 shipped

shox.com also sell illuminas

I'll let you know how they are next weekend hopefully should be here next tuesday-thursday if not I'll have to wait another week

current setup.. eibach pro kit & agx
they're stiff but it still leans like a boat at the autocross which I did this weekend
Old 09-07-2003, 03:11 PM

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaShocks
Old 09-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Illuminas are far superrior to any other strut currently on the market for the 4th gen Maxima. They ride better then any other sturt and handle just as well if not better then KYB's or Konis. Personally I think Konis are a waste of money, the fronts aren't a direct replacement and the rears are not user friendly in terms of adjustability.

I'm lucky enough to have installed and driven in just about every combo out there. So far nothing compairs to the ride the Illuminas give you. My last install was a Progress/Illumina setup. That combo rode very smooth and handled extreamly well. The Illuminas absorb road imperfections like butter, yet keep your ride very firm, smooth and controlled. A far cry from AGX or Koni's abilities.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Illuminas are far superrior to any other strut currently on the market for the 4th gen Maxima. They ride better then any other sturt and handle just as well if not better then KYB's or Konis. Personally I think Konis are a waste of money, the fronts aren't a direct replacement and the rears are not user friendly in terms of adjustability.

I'm lucky enough to have installed and driven in just about every combo out there. So far nothing compairs to the ride the Illuminas give you. My last install was a Progress/Illumina setup. That combo rode very smooth and handled extreamly well. The Illuminas absorb road imperfections like butter, yet keep your ride very firm, smooth and controlled. A far cry from AGX or Koni's abilities.
You want proof?? Come to my place and ill give you a ride!!
Old 09-07-2003, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by FazliS85
You want proof?? Come to my place and ill give you a ride!!
i think you have to keep in mind that most ppl here on the org have a 1.6" drop or more and have 18" wheels.

so i think it's not fare to compair a car that has h&r springs & 16" or 17" tires with a big sidewall to a car that has sprint springs and 19" wheels with small sidewall.

i heard the other day some one was talking about having sprint springs with agx shocks and that he had a smooth ride just like stock. then i read he was on stock 15" wheels (sawblades).

throw some 18's and come to my town & tell me you still have a stock ride or better.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 97GLES
i think you have to keep in mind that most ppl here on the org have a 1.6" drop or more and have 18" wheels.

so i think it's not fare to compair a car that has h&r springs & 16" or 17" tires with a big sidewall to a car that has sprint springs and 19" wheels with small sidewall.

i heard the other day some one was talking about having sprint springs with agx shocks and that he had a smooth ride just like stock. then i read he was on stock 15" wheels (sawblades).

throw some 18's and come to my town & tell me you still have a stock ride or better.
i've been in a maxima with 15s sprints and agx before

ride is night and day difference compare to my eibach agx and 15s
Old 09-07-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by costcowholesale
i've been in a maxima with 15s sprints and agx before

ride is night and day difference compare to my eibach agx and 15s
if you want to keep as close to stock ride stay with the h&r's and keep 17" wheels or smaller.

i have a 1.6" drop by apex springs with the agx shocks with 19's and i will tell you it's far from stock ride but also the streets in my city is like driving on the moon.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:51 PM

if you want to keep as close to stock ride stay with the h&r's and keep 17" wheels or smaller.

i have a 1.6" drop by apex springs with the agx shocks with 19's and i will tell you it's far from stock ride but also the streets in my city is like driving on the moon.
I don't mind the ride but imo its harsh, I'm upgrading to the illuminas becuse I got rid of the agx for a good price

I auto x a lot, the eibach pro kit is still a little too soft for me car leans a lot in turns with agx on 4/8 and 42psi tire pressure (auto x setup) The winter ride with the agx also sucks

Illuminas are suppose to go really soft and really hard, I hope that gives me a better ride on the street and less body roll for racing
Old 09-07-2003, 09:03 PM

I don't mind the ride but imo its harsh, I'm upgrading to the illuminas becuse I got rid of the agx for a good price

I auto x a lot, the eibach pro kit is still a little too soft for me car leans a lot in turns with agx on 4/8 and 42psi tire pressure (auto x setup) The winter ride with the agx also sucks

Illuminas are suppose to go really soft and really hard, I hope that gives me a better ride on the street and less body roll for racing
what size wheels do you have? and whats the width of them?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:08 PM

what size wheels do you have? and whats the width of them?
stock GLE sawblades width is 6.5 I think.. or 6
205/65/15

on dunlop sp5000 thats almost done.

might put some R compound on the sawblades next year for racing and get some daily driven 17s
Old 09-07-2003, 09:17 PM

stock GLE sawblades width is 6.5 I think.. or 6
205/65/15

on dunlop sp5000 thats almost done.

might put some R compound on the sawblades next year for racing and get some daily driven 17s
thats your problem, your racing thru turns with 6" wheels and your tire has about 4 to 5" of sidewall

you need to get a 8 or 8.5" wide wheels with low-profile tire. get something like 17x8.

it will take turns alot better than your stock wheels.

don't forget FSTB & RSB.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:29 PM

thats your problem, your racing thru turns with 6" wheels and your tire has about 4 to 5" of sidewall

you need to get a 8 or 8.5" wide wheels with low-profile tire. get something like 17x8.

it will take turns alot better than your stock wheels.

don't forget FSTB & RSB.
I know my tires roll, but the body rolls more

there was a lot of cars running 15 inch or 16 inch R compound tires... some of em had bigger sidewall than my 15s. The R compound peoplewere smoking those wtih big wheels 17x8 18x8 etc... with street tires

I have fstb, rsb, ES bushings, springs, shocks, modified rear strut mount.

here is a pic of maxspeed/agx/16s.. the car rolls a bit

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...5_324_full.jpg
Old 09-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got em and love em......I'd bring anyone for a ride, but I live up in Maine....I have them paired with H&R's
Old 09-08-2003, 07:15 AM
living out of a maxima...

I just switched from Cattman Gen 2 coilovers to the Illumina/Progress combo. I've got 17x7.5 Q45 wheels with 235/45/17 Sumitomo HTR+, FSTB, RSTB, RSB. My impressions:

Cattman Gen 2 Coilovers
The car doesn't handle any better than this. Absolutely NO body roll, no matter how fast/hard you turn. The thing just sticks to the road. Car also feels completely solid at speeds of 120+. I'd have no qualms about topping it out with this suspension in. Ride is firm, but not rough. It can be a little rough over big bumps and potholes, but on smooth/mildly bumpy roads, it's fine.

Tokico Illumina/Progress Springs
These things are buttery smooth. I would compare the ride quality with stock, but only a tiny bit more firm. I can't say enough about how nicely this combination takes bumps and potholes... it just eats them right up. Mine are set at 3/3 right now but I'm still trying different combinations. Handling is greatly increased from stock suspension, but it still exhibits some body roll in the turns.

I switched out from the Cattman coilovers because they were noisey, but I really miss the exceptional handling they provide. But as I rode over the moonscape of roads on my way to work this morning, I gained a new-found appreciation for how smooth my current setup is.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:28 AM

I have the AGX's, but am considering the Illuminas because the AGX's only adjust REBOUND whereas the Illuminas are supposed to adjust COMPRESSION and REBOUND simultaneousely. So basically the Illuminas work how everybody thinks the AGX's work.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
I just switched from Cattman Gen 2 coilovers to the Illumina/Progress combo. I've got 17x7.5 Q45 wheels with 235/45/17 Sumitomo HTR+, FSTB, RSTB, RSB. My impressions:

Cattman Gen 2 Coilovers
The <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="background-color: #f0f000; " HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> doesn't handle any better than this. Absolutely NO body roll, no matter how fast/hard you turn. The thing just sticks to the road. Car also feels completely solid at speeds of 120+. I'd have no qualms about topping it out with this suspension in. Ride is firm, but not rough. It can be a little rough over big bumps and potholes, but on smooth/mildly bumpy roads, it's fine.

Tokico Illumina/Progress Springs
These things are buttery smooth. I would compare the ride quality with stock, but only a tiny bit more firm. I can't say enough about how nicely this combination takes bumps and potholes... it just eats them right up. Mine are set at 3/3 right now but I'm still trying different combinations. Handling is greatly increased from stock suspension, but it still exhibits some body roll in the turns.

I switched out from the Cattman coilovers because they were noisey, but I really miss the exceptional handling they provide. But as I rode over the moonscape of roads on my way to work this morning, I gained a new-found appreciation for how smooth my current setup is.
I've had the Progress/AGX setup for a year and a half now. All this talk about how smooth the Illumina's are, I think I might switch to Illumina's in the spring.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:52 PM

well i would say kyb agx except that my passenger side one won't adjust i got to get a new one which is a big pain in my a$$ cause i'm the one switching them in and out time consuming and just annoying
Old 09-25-2003, 11:34 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

mmmmm Illuminas I would love to incorperate Koni's rear mounts into the Tokicos. All at the Gr-2 price. Hey I can dream can't I?