5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Mass_Media™

What Would You Do?

It time, I am going to sell my car. What I want to get next is a 6spd maxima....I love these cars, so I want to get another one...(I figured this out today) To make a long story short, I went to my local nissan dealer and found an 6spd 02 black on black maxima for sale . I love the car they let me take it for about 3 hours I got a good feel for the car I love driving it. I would pay 2100 over trade in for it (plus taxes and licenceing). So what I was wondering is would you guys do it? My mom thinks that she can get a black 6spd loaded for under what the dealership is asking, from the auction....(she knows a guy who will look) I don't know...I am thinking that maybe I should just take this one....I don't know. What would you guys do?

This is the car I am looking at
Old 06-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Cletus

sounds like a good price. i bought the exact same car a month ago for $16,995 but it only had 35,000 miles
Old 06-16-2005, 05:32 PM

i thought u said it was black on black....

the interior in that one is grey cloth..

leather > cloth
Old 06-16-2005, 05:47 PM

So what you want to do is trade cars and stay with the same year. What mileage does you car have on it. Does it have a sunroof and leather interior? Is it loaded?

The 6-speed you are looking at has more miles on it than I would want, has a cloth interior which wouldn't interest me, and doesn't appear to have a sunroof which I can't live without.

You would want to sell your car privately I would think, otherwise you would get raped by the dealer.

How much have you spent on mods on your car and are there any you would remove when it came to selling the car?

It strikes me you will get three things out of this transaction: a 6-speed, lighter in the pocket, and perhaps a worse car.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

She might be right , but does the auction gives you warranty?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
So what you want to do is trade cars and stay with the same year. What mileage does you car have on it. Does it have a sunroof and leather interior? Is it loaded?

The 6-speed you are looking at has more miles on it than I would want, has a cloth interior which wouldn't interest me, and doesn't appear to have a sunroof which I can't live without.

You would want to sell your car privately I would think, otherwise you would get raped by the dealer.

How much have you spent on mods on your car and are there any you would remove when it came to selling the car?

It strikes me you will get three things out of this transaction: a 6-speed, lighter in the pocket, and perhaps a worse car.
The only thing staying on my car are the clears....everything else is coming off or out...I am not giving them anything...(well and the tint stays). I would like to know how you think it is a worse car? I have driven for about 3 hours everything works....and I have a 30 day 3000 mile warrenty....so how is this a worse car?

It looks like black interior....part of the transaction is them putting in a sunroof free of charge.....

Auctions don't give warrenty's cars are as is....you see the car and you buy it as is....you don't get to test drive it or anything....so I would prefer not to go to the auction...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Mass_Media™

BTW my car has 65k miles on it....I am switching a car that I think is a better car....I don't care for leather or anything like that. So not having a sunroof is the only thing I don't like about the car....
Old 06-16-2005, 09:16 PM

First of all you never answered my question. Does the car you own have a sunroof and leather and what is its mileage? The one you want to buy has no leather, no sunroof, and aftermarket sunroof installations are nowhere near as good as factory.

I suspect the car you own may be loaded if it in fact has leather, and the one you want to buy is plain jane, vanilla flavor. I question whether you have sat down with a piece of paper and listed the advantages and disadvantages of selling your car in order to buy this one.

Consequently, you are not looking at the purchase objectively like I am, lol!

Edit - now I see your mileage and the fact you like a sunroof and could care less about leather. You already had your mind made up before you posted your thread, so don't waste our time.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:16 PM

hmm...if i were you, i would either stay with what you have, or go with the one at the dealer....are you talking about the auction car when you say:
Originally Posted by Mass_Media
It looks like black interior....part of the transaction is them putting in a sunroof free of charge.....
? I wouldn't really want an AM sunroof because they are known to leak later on down the road, and they're just not OEM quality....another reason i would choose the car at the dealer over the one at the auction is because you have driven it, and you know you are getting a good car...just my .02
Old 06-16-2005, 09:18 PM

First of all you never answered my question. Does the car you own have a sunroof and leather and what is its mileage? The one you want to buy has no leather, no sunroof, and aftermarket sunroof installations are nowhere near as good as factory.

I suspect the car you own may be loaded if it in fact has leather, and the one you want to buy is plain jane, vanilla flavor. I question whether you have sat down with a piece of paper and listed the advantages and disadvantages of selling your car in order to buy this one.

Consequently, you are not looking at the purchase objectively like I am, lol!
his car is a base SE...so the trade would be purely for the 6-speed option...but mileage does come into play here though....how many miles are on your car vs. how many miles are on the two cars you're looking at?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
his car is a base SE...so the trade would be purely for the 6-speed option...but mileage does come into play here though....how many miles are on your car vs. how many miles are on the two cars you're looking at?
See my above edits. He is going down some in mileage, but giving up a factory sunroof. It seems to me to be quite a cost to get a 6-speed. If I was going down that path, I would get a loaded 2003 with lower mileage, but I suspect the expense is a concern.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Mass_Media™

Right, my car is a base model SE so I would be trading purly for the 6spd option and its black....I have 65k on my car and the one I am looking at is 51k.....

And no I haven't made up my mind thats why I posted....if I had made up my mind I would have bought it already....I wouldn't be Pu$$y footing around, I would have bought it....if you think I am a waste of your time...then don't look in my threads....
Old 06-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Mass_Media™

See my above edits. He is going down some in mileage, but giving up a factory sunroof. It seems to me to be quite a cost to get a 6-speed. If I was going down that path, I would get a loaded 2003 with lower mileage, but I suspect the expense is a concern.
I don't have a sunroof....I AM TRADING FOR THE SAME CAR!!! execpt it is a 6spd and black......
Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 PM

ok, ok, no need to get all worked up about it, we were just asking some civilized questions to find more information before we give you our final 'verdict' on the matter....i would way rather go for that black 6-speed with 51k than the auction car...it seems like a win-win situation for you, because you're getting a 6-speed, not losing any options, and getting a lower mileage car...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:36 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Make sure the sunroof they will install is ASC- they make some REALLY nice sunroofs. I loved having a sunroof in my 95 Sentra GLE, 90 Maxima SE 5spd, and in my 93 SE-R- they all had factory- trouble free, sunroofs. ASC is almost like stock, it doesn't give up headroom eighter and has one touch operation for tilt and slide.

To convert a AUTO 02 or 03 Maxima to a 6spd it will cost you way over 2K dollars, its doable but it will end up costing quite a penny. You are getting a pretty good deal, considering your tranny could crap out on you any day (02-03 autos are know to be **** on our forums) saving you alot of $$$ and headaches.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 PM

Who is doing the ***** footing around? If you had been clearer in the first place we wouldn't have had to go through all this BS. So what you are looking at is $2,100 plus taxes and licensing to get virtually the same car as you have with a 6-speed and somewhat fewer miles. Have you checked the maintenance history of the car you want to buy? What does it need done to it? What shape are the tires in?

If all that satisfies you then buy the damn car. However, if it was me, I wouldn't buy a plain jane Maxima with an aftermarket sunroof. Why don't you tell them to forget about the aftermarket sunroof and drop the price somewhat to compensate for it?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Mass_Media™

ok, ok, no need to get all worked up about it, we were just asking some civilized questions to find more information before we give you our final 'verdict' on the matter....i would way rather go for that black 6-speed with 51k than the auction car...it seems like a win-win situation for you, because you're getting a 6-speed, not losing any options, and getting a lower mileage car...
yea...I am still debating....thanks for the help guys....I think I might get it...I am going to sleep on it and see how it looks in the morning....thanks!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
To convert a AUTO 02 or 03 Maxima to a 6spd it will cost you way over 2K dollars, its doable but it will end up costing quite a penny. You are getting a pretty good deal, considering your tranny could crap out on you any day (02-03 autos are know to be **** on our forums) saving you alot of $$$ and headaches.
excellent point...the auto trannys on the 5th gens are not as strong as the engines and many people have had them go frighteningly quick....
Old 06-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Mass_Media™

Who is doing the ***** footing around? If you had been clearer in the first place we wouldn't have had to go through all this BS. So what you are looking at is $2,100 plus taxes and licensing to get virtually the same car as you have with a 6-speed and somewhat fewer miles. Have you checked the maintenance history of the car you want to buy? What does it need done to it? What shape are the tires in?

If all that satisfies you then buy the damn car. However, if it was me, I wouldn't buy a plain jane Maxima with an aftermarket sunroof. Why don't you tell them to forget about the aftermarket sunroof and drop the price somewhat to compensate for it?
Look....the sunroof is being thrown in without charge...I have posted that twice now. The tires are brand new. The car had one owner, I don't know the maintenance history. There is a scratch on the driver rear side. How is a black 6spd "plain jane"? I don't like leather....the stock stero is coming out. So what benifit do I have for a crappy bose system and leather if I don't like leather? For me to do a 6spd swap and paint job will be well over 8k (4k for paint and god knows how much for the swap)
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
Look....the sunroof is being thrown in without charge...I have posted that twice now. The tires are brand new. The car had one owner, I don't know the maintenance history. There is a scratch on the driver rear side. How is a black 6spd "plain jane"? I don't like leather....the stock stero is coming out. So what benifit do I have for a crappy bose system and leather if I don't like leather? For me to do a 6spd swap and paint job will be well over 8k (4k for paint and god knows how much for the swap)
what he was saying was that, instead of having them 'throw in the sunroof at no charge' why not just have them lower the price to compensate for the difference and say screw the AM sunroof? that would be a good way to talk them down a bit, which would make the price difference between that and your max a bit less....good advice if you ask me...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Mass_Media™

Thats as low as they will go without the sunroof....I told them I wanted it thrown in at now charge if I got the car they agreed....
Old 06-16-2005, 10:01 PM

Which car has the scratch on it and what is this $4,000 paint job all about? Are you saying your car has a scratch on it? If so, why does it need a $4,000 paint job? Or is the scratch on the car you want to buy?

Which car was more expensive brand new - the 2002 automatic or the 2002 6-speed?

Dealerships/car lots are not in the business of losing money. I haven't heard anything about the salesman/manager being a friend of the family and there is something potentially fishy here. Has the car on the lot been in an accident before?

I am not trying to give you a hard time. What I am doing is referred to in business as "playing the devil's advocate." I have no emotional attachment to this transaction and am merely trying to be helpful.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:03 PM

Which car has the scratch on it and what is this $4,000 paint job all about? Are you saying your car has a scratch on it? If so, why does it need a $4,000 paint job? Or is the scratch on the car you want to buy?

Which car was more expensive brand new - the 2002 automatic or the 2002 6-speed?

Dealerships/car lots are not in the business of losing money. I haven't heard anything about the salesman/manager being a friend of the family and there is something potentially fishy here. Has the car on the lot been in an accident before?
ok..i seem to be the official clarifyer for this thread (if that's even a word, lol)
what he was saying is that the car on the dealer lot has one scratch on it, but otherwise it is in good condition...but if he were to keep his car, and not go for this 6-speed, he would have to spend an ample amount of money to get his car the way he wants it (ie: paint job and 6-speed swap) so it is a better deal to trade his car on and pay the $2000+ price difference than modify his car and spend over $8000
Old 06-16-2005, 10:08 PM

Please see my above post, I edited it somewhat. So what is in it for the dealership? They are not a charitable institution. As far as I am concerned there is something funny going on here, or else the staff at the dealer lot are all as dumb as posts!

What the hell are they doing taking in a higher mileage car that needs a paint job for, and giving up a lower mileage car with only a scratch on it?

What do you intend to do about fixing the scratch Mass_Media, or is it like leather and the sunroof, and you don't care about that either?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Mass_Media™

its a scratch that can be fixed...and it will be....nothing to sweat....if it werent for maxilvr06 I think that this would have gotten a whole lot worse....I don't think we read each others posts that carefully. I don't know what the dealership is trying accomplish (maybe they think they are getting my car with all the mods it has ) My car doesn't need a paint job (don't kno where you got that from) never said I didn't care about the sunroof....leather isn't that great of an option (at least in utah) in summer you stick to it and in winter it is freezing.....so cloth will do just fine....

EDIT: I can get free labor on paint so that is why it is not a big deal....
Old 06-17-2005, 03:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Be patient. Forget the dealer they always want a premium. I just bought a fully loaded 02 SE 6 spd. in MInt cond. for 13,400. I found the car on Ebay and had to travel but it was worth it. It needed the exhaust fixed and that was it. The only option it doesn't have is the Nav. The Max is really a family sedan and must people don't want a 6 spd and any mods and it will turn a lot of people off too. The car for just under 16k doesn't even have leather. That is a deal killer for me. Also, the traction control is a nice feature to have with all the power at the wheels. My car also has a Greddy exhaust, performance chip, Sportmax wheels and 40 tires. Be patient!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by traderfjp
Be patient. Forget the dealer they always want a premium. ... Be patient!

Try the auction, you might not find the exact specs your looking for in a maxima in one visit. So you will have to be patient. I got my car off ebay too. I was lookin for 2 months, before I found the max. Is this the first maxima u've look at?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:47 AM

the dealer will re-sell your car for the same $ as you are buying the 6spd for. they make double the profit. you already KNOW that your car is in good condition, and well maintained. you can only HOPE that the other car is the same way.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
the dealer will re-sell your car for the same $ as you are buying the 6spd for. they make double the profit. you already KNOW that your car is in good condition, and well maintained. you can only HOPE that the other car is the same way.

That's what I was getting at, when inquiring about the maintenance history of the car on the lot. My only unanswered question now is the owner's reference for $4,000 for a paint job. What is that all about? Is he referring to his own car, given he can get the scratch fixed for a reasonable price on the car to be acquired?

I know that the dealer can make money on both cars, but relative to the 6-speed, they won't make much on the automatic being inquired - so why would they go out of their way to take that car in trade?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:12 AM

well i no this might or might not help but i spoke to jeff in ny at maxium tunning and he installs vb tranny mods he sayed that the vb mod in a auto would make it faster shifts then a 6 speed thats what he sayed not sure but hes a "professional" and its 400$ i dont know if this will help with youre decision but u have more then money in youre car u have sentimental value with the stuff u did to it like me. its a good deal i guess but thought i might add a little something witch is cheeper. i personally no the auto craps out but i got a new tranny at 38000 for nothing from nissan thanx god lol but the vb mod helps with making the tranny last longer so maybe u should try that 400$ verces 2000+ dollers its worth a try if u dont live near ny u can call or email him and ask him to ship it to u ide go with the stage 2 reg driving with the weekend racer its awsome mod i havent driven the car yet iam deployed to korea but my wife got it for me for my bday and she sayed she loves the shift its fast thats what she sayed it made a nice differennce shiping is free or instalation if u live near ny i hope this helps good luck with youre choice.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:22 AM

I say it is not a bad idea, as Blackbird said it would cost a lot more than $2,000 to do a tranny swap.

However, I think you can talk them down a bit... tell them you just cant do it unless they knock off anther $800, by the time you are done bickering with them it will be around $500.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:23 AM
Mass_Media™

That's what I was getting at, when inquiring about the maintenance history of the car on the lot. My only unanswered question now is the owner's reference for $4,000 for a paint job. What is that all about? Is he referring to his own car, given he can get the scratch fixed for a reasonable price on the car to be acquired?

I know that the dealer can make money on both cars, but relative to the 6-speed, they won't make much on the automatic being inquired - so why would they go out of their way to take that car in trade?

^^^^ I was responding to blackbirds comment I think and thats is where it came from.....I don't know I am not the dealer so I don't know what there idea is...

I am going down today around 12 to talk to them again....so we will see what happens....
Old 06-17-2005, 06:30 AM

OK. ask for the maintenance history on the vehicle if they have it, get written confirmation that it hasn't been in an accident, see if they will extend the warranty to a year and go for it. I see where you are coming from with respect to the leather given you live in Salt Lake, but there are such options as heated seats (which I have and like) and air conditioning which both cars have.

So for the $2,100+ you will be spending I would ascribe a few hundred for the lower mileage (less than $500, say $300) and the balance to the 6-speed.

As I asked before, which car was more expensive new - the automatic or the 6-speed?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Mass_Media™

MY CAR: According to kbb.com Base model SE 64k miles I consider my car to be in good condition...No big time damage a few rock chips here and there...

Trade In : 9,470
Private Party: 12,015
Retail : 15,715

THERE CAR: According to kbb.com I consider the car to be in fair condition because of the scratch on the rear (these rating are in good condition just to be fair) the scratch will be fixed..... 51k miles 6spd base model SE

Good Conditon
Trade In :10,620
Private Party : 13,165
Retail : 16,865

Fair Condition
Trade In : 9,265
Private Party : 11,960
Retail : 15,715

So depending on what condition you think the car is in there is about a 1000 difference between the two cars.....
Old 06-17-2005, 07:28 AM

have you looked in the classifieds section on .org? there are tonns of 6spd maximas for sale.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Kid
i personally no the auto craps out but i got a new tranny at 38000 for nothing from nissan thanx god lol but the vb mod helps with making the tranny last longer so maybe u should try that 400$ verces 2000+ dollers its worth a try if u dont live near ny u can call or email him and ask him to ship it to u ide go with the stage 2 reg driving with the weekend racer its awsome mod i havent driven the car yet iam deployed to korea but my wife got it for me for my bday and she sayed she loves the shift its fast thats what she sayed it made a nice differennce shiping is free or instalation if u live near ny i hope this helps good luck with youre choice.
holy run-on sentence batman!! just playin....personally, i would waay rather a 6-speed than an auto with a VB mod if i had the choice...not only does the transmission last longer, but it's also more fun and you get better gas mileage...

i'll be interested to see what happens with this...good luck!!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Melaza
She might be right , but does the auction gives you warranty?
thats a good question
Old 06-17-2005, 01:47 PM

but what are the chances of you finding a 6speed on a auction!!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by danger300z
but what are the chances of you finding a 6speed on a auction!!
one goes through about once a month here.....
Old 06-17-2005, 04:55 PM

Maybe the next one won't have a scratch on it. You will be in a better bargaining position if you sell your car first.