5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CV boot questions, mine ripped

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Need A Light?

CV boot questions, mine ripped

So today I was under the car doing some work to my exhaust...and I find out my driver's side INNER cv boot has ripped.... I know this is fresh becuz I was under the car on Saturday with no grease at all....here are a few questions for you gurus out there...

1. Is it okay to drive with a ripped INNER CV boot until my axle starts clicking? I don't mind changing out the whole axle but right now I can't afford to buy one and change it...that is why I'm getting my money's worth and waiting until it starts clicking...is it safe to do?

2. Is it okay to race with a ripped INNER CV boot?

those are my main concerns...I plan to change out the whole axle instead of just buying the boot...I just wanna know what can be the potential side effects of running on a ripped boot...remember, I don't mind if the axle gets damaged down the road from that ripped boot...I just want to know if theres anything wrong driving with one

Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 06:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

I used to do it all the time in my 4th gen, but it's automatic with less torque ... that's about all I can say about that though.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Need A Light?

was it the inner or the outer? I'm familiar with people driving with an outer boot all day long and racing with no problems...it's just the inner that I never heard of...could it be more important since the inner is so close to the tranny housing?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

They were both shot to almighty hell, clikcing and all.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Play with my balls

When I first got my new shocks/springs around Oct. 04, I went to change them out and noticed also that my passenger side outer boot was torn. Took it to the dealer, they wanted some crackhead off the wall price for just the axle. No local parts store carried this part cause the year was so new. Actually, none online either......dealer only item. Decided to see if I could live with it til, they make it aftermarket for cheaper or it starts making noise.

I haven't heard a peep from it yet. When mine goes is when I'm going to replace it. It's handled a few 75 Shots of Nitrous and has been push, but my SES light gives me exponientially more problems than that CV boot does. You should be fine with it, I even forget it's ripped sometimes. I will have to replace it sometime, but you can drive it til it starts clicking.

But given as the stealership wants your 3 first born for a new axle, one other alternative I did find is below if you really don't feel safe and need a new one. It's the only place, and cheapest place I found when looking for mine, just haven't done business with him yet. Maybe more places out there now, but I haven't looked.

Hello P,
Thank you for inquiring with me about your cv needs. Yes, I may have the complete axles available for your car at $119.95. All of my parts come with a one year warranty and are sold with no core charge. However, I'll need to know if your car has traction control. You can let me know the trans. code off the plate on the drivers side door panel or on the plate on the engine compartment fire wall and I can tell from that. I don't have just the outer cv joints available at this time. If you get back to me with the information requested along with your zip code I'll give you a complete quote. You can email me or call 1-800-338-2326 M-Sat. 8-6 e.s.t. and ask for Danny.
Thank you,
Danny Walburn
CV Restoration

Thanks for the info Danny. My car is a 6-speed manual, so no I do not have traction control. My zip code is 28270. Thanks for the complete quote also.

P

Okay P,
Your total would be as follows:
1 x Brand new passenger side axle = $119.95
UPS ground shipping = $10.00
Total amount due = $129.95
If you'd like to order this you can just send a Paypal payment to this email address. Or you can call me with your Visa or Mastercard at 1-800-338-2326 M-Sat. 8-6 e.s.t. and ask for Danny.
Thank you,
Danny Walburn
CV Restoration
Old 06-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
They were both shot to almighty hell, clikcing and all.
LOL ....you crack me up...
Old 06-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
When I first got my new shocks/springs around Oct. 04, I went to change them out and noticed also that my passenger side outer boot was torn. Took it to the dealer, they wanted some crackhead off the wall price for just the axle. No local parts store carried this part cause the year was so new. Actually, none online either......dealer only item. Decided to see if I could live with it til, they make it aftermarket for cheaper or it starts making noise.

I haven't heard a peep from it yet. When mine goes is when I'm going to replace it. It's handled a few 75 Shots of Nitrous and has been push, but my SES light gives me exponientially more problems than that CV boot does. You should be fine with it, I even forget it's ripped sometimes. I will have to replace it sometime, but you can drive it til it starts clicking.

But given as the stealership wants your 3 first born for a new axle, one other alternative I did find is below if you really don't feel safe and need a new one. It's the only place, and cheapest place I found when looking for mine, just haven't done business with him yet. Maybe more places out there now, but I haven't looked.
Hey deckdout...thanks for the quick reply....isn't it stupid that we both have such new cars...and our CV boots have ripped already? i see that your running nitrous and still pushing the car with a ripped boot.....haha makes me even more confident...gotta get yer money's worth right?

Anyway can anybody confirm that it's safe for the tranny to run a ripped INNER CV boot?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:43 PM
scopium

dude you can drive normally with a messed up cv boot.. i drove with a bad one for 6 months.. and just replaced the whole axle..

Old 06-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Conecarver

My passenger inner one ripped about 4 weeks ago and it's still spitting out lube. Yesterday I just did 4min of hard autocrossing and everything's still fine. Today I called Marty @ Raxles as I'm not gonna push my luck.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just replace it andrew..
Old 06-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
just replace it andrew..
hey i really need your help on wednesday...hope you can pull through...my car is making all kinds of weird noises running with missing bolts...thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 05:50 AM

What does the grease look like thats in the boot. Is is black in color or grey. I noticed some thick gray look stuff under my old max before clinging to one of the front control arms.....but never noticed any rips in the boots
Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Need A Light?

I see it clinging onto the control arm too....it looks gray just like you described it.....oh yeah I can't see any rips on the boot itself...but I'm damn sure its coming from the boot becuz I see it covered in grease...
Old 06-22-2005, 10:15 AM

What's a point changing the whole axel while you guys can just buy a CV boot with the grease in it and with everything you need. I have a hole in my boot also and I just bought the boot with all the things I need to replace it for just $25, and if you buy them whole axels that would be what, $125 I think? So I think it's much cheaper just to change the boot.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Play with my balls

They don't sell the boot itself for our cars, at least none of the local part stores here do, and dealership only sells complete axles. They make a universal Fastboot that is already cut in half and it's holds down with clamps, but that is not recommended because it will only bust again in the near future.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Need A Light?

It only takes a little tiny debris or foreign particle to enter the CV axle and mess it up...I don't want to take any risks...might as well change out the whole axle....besides a local guy of mine says a rebuilt axle (new boots, clamps, grease) will cost $80....parts & labor....a whole new axle would cost just a little bit more....might as well get a whole new one and not take any risks
Old 05-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys. Hope someone can help me out with the question i'm about to lay out for ya'. For a while now my struts have been been leaking. Well, now I live in Los Angeles and the streets out here are like... uhm... well, they are kind of like someone just threw big chunks of asphalt on the road and left them there. now my front passenger side strut is totally busted. Well, i hit one of those huge asphalt chunks about a week ago and then started to get a slight grinding noise as i turned the wheel just a tad to the left. Well, over the past week it has gotten worse and i'm scared to even get in the darn car. I travel about 22 miles to work one way, each day. I looked at the wheel yesterday and noticed little droplets of oil/grease on the CV boot. I don't know much about the axle, CV Joints and all that Jive. Can one of you extra smart people who post here all the time, help me out?

2002 Nissan Maxima SE WOO HOO!

Some auto place said it would cost 1075 to do all four shocks/struts. but, now i think it's more than that since I noticed the droplets and GRINDING noise when i veer to the left. Gosh, if I could only make right turns, i would be happy....

Any help would be appreciated. ZMBPHD@AOL.COM is my regular e-mail addres.... i'm not to familar with this site.. i signed up a while back and thought i would see if you guys have anything for me.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:47 AM

steven, i drove on 2 ripped outer boots for about 4 months w/o problems. if it starts clicking, you would have to replace the whole axle, or the cage and the ball bearings in the boot itself. if you notice its been ripped less than a few weeks, just replace the boot and grease. motorvate.ca has some excellent directions on how to do it.
axles are a pain in the azz to take out, especially w/o a lift. if you have good facilities, and time, replace it yourself.
when i had this problem, i found a local shop that replaced 2 torn boots, and all the internal cv joint components for $50 per axle. it cost about $200 at the shop to have both axles removed, driven to the cv repair shop, and put back in.
i found rebuilt axles at napa, but their cv boot did not look nearly as high quality as the repair shop i used. besides, i would rather use my original axles instead of buying them from some other car.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:51 AM

i drove my 90 max with ripped outer boots for over a year...i was a poor college student. the worst that happened was having to listen to the clicking sounds and such here and there, but the car drove fine otherwise.