5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clutch halfway to floor.....help anyone!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:37 AM

Clutch halfway to floor.....help anyone!!

Has this happened to anyone else and if so can you let me know what to do?? I was driving yesterday and went to shift and the clutch felt really mushy, there was alot of play and it felt like it was totally wasted but if I pumped the clutch a bunch of times it would come back. I just had it replaced I dont understand, help!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:51 AM

there might be air bubbles in the hydralic lines you might want to bleed your clutch fluid.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:52 AM

also check for leaks around your clutch master cylinder (underneath the dash) and slave cylinder on the tranny. and also check the bleeder screw area.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When I came back from vacation last summer I pushed in my clutch and it stayed down . It ended up being a leak in the master cylinder or something like that. All my clutch fluid had drained out while it sat in the driveway.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:41 AM

It is definatly air. The strange things with the system is that there is one line from the master that goes into a block that splits it into two different lines. One goes to the slave and the other goes down and ends up caped off on top of the wheel well. On most cars there is only one line directly from the master to the slave. Therefore if there was air in it it would be soft and not change. Since we have two lines, that is why you were able to get it presure again. It did not fix itself, however the air probably moved into the other line. It will happen again. Bleed the system and if it happens again replace the slave. This is the cheaper part and in my opinon probably the one most likely to go. Next would be the master. The problem is unless it is leaking it is almost impossible to find out where the air is getting in.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:12 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by sbrett
It is definatly air. The strange things with the system is that there is one line from the master that goes into a block that splits it into two different lines. One goes to the slave and the other goes down and ends up caped off on top of the wheel well. On most cars there is only one line directly from the master to the slave. Therefore if there was air in it it would be soft and not change. Since we have two lines, that is why you were able to get it presure again. It did not fix itself, however the air probably moved into the other line. It will happen again. Bleed the system and if it happens again replace the slave. This is the cheaper part and in my opinon probably the one most likely to go. Next would be the master. The problem is unless it is leaking it is almost impossible to find out where the air is getting in.
hmmm....if this just happened, he needs to do more than just bleed it. That won't SOLVE the problem - the problem being that he has a leak somewhere, and that is how the air is getting in in the first place. Seems like clutch master cylinders go bad occasionally on the maxima (mine was replaced under warranty)....if the CMS is leaking, check down by your pedals...see if clutch fluid is on the pedal arm, or on the firewall under the CMS. Haven't heard about any maximas having the slave cylinder go bad, but that's obviously another possibility. Third possibility is you have a leak in the line someplace, or one of the bleed screws is loose...

The "second line" is the upper bleed valve. When you bleed the clutch, you bleed it from the slave cyliner AND the upper bleed valve.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:13 PM

Hey man this has been happening to me every now and then for the past few months and I do the same thing you said "pump the clutch" thanks for the suggestions guys