5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help with O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:11 AM

Help with O2 sensors

I'm looking for a little help here...

My 2000 Max pulled a code P0153 - Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2)

Can somebody tell me WHICH sensor that is on the image in the FAQ? I can't post the image of the 4 sensors (I'm not allowed attachments for some reason) and I can't figure out which sensor is "Sensor 1 - Bank 2".

Also, who's got the cheap price on O2 Sensors?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:37 AM

Hey there's a website here on ORG. where I bought my sensor a week ago, it has the cheapest prices I could've find anywhere...http://www.oxygensensorwholesale.com/
And there you go I got the picture of them 3 sensors, and if you look from left to right the light blue and the green plug are o2 Sensors Bank 2s. But I'm not sure which one is yours.
Old 06-22-2005 | 10:55 AM

I got the PO155 error code and I believe that it points to the same O2 sensor, but its not a fault with the sensor, but the sensor heater - Sensor 1, bank 2. Should I have this sensor replaced? Is there any risk of other damage if I drive the car with this fault?
Old 06-22-2005 | 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mark2
I got the PO155 error code and I believe that it points to the same O2 sensor, but its not a fault with the sensor, but the sensor heater - Sensor 1, bank 2. Should I have this sensor replaced? Is there any risk of other damage if I drive the car with this fault?
Hmmmm then I'm not sure bro, I think you still should change the sensor. You know go to the dealer and ask them, they'll put you in the right derection of what to do with it. They should know there better than most of us do.
Old 06-22-2005 | 11:05 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by Mark2
The heater is a part of the whole sensor unit. I would suggest to replace the sensor. I recently bought one from a dealership in Mississauga for about CDN $130 + tax. Researching I found that you can get a generic one from the web for cheaper (oxygensensors.com) and I also got quoted from US about USD $110 plus shipping (from our friend DaveB) so I decided to buy it locally...
Old 06-22-2005 | 11:06 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Hm, I've never heard of anyone changing only the heater inside the sensor...
Old 06-22-2005 | 06:40 PM

Need some more help

I took a look tonight when I got home, and it turns out that I have a "Fed Spec" car which means that I only have two plugs instead of 4 in the area that Shurik posted a picture of above.

Would somebody be willing to take a look at the chart for "FED SPEC" cars (the 2nd picture on this link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....21#post3637121 and tell me if the frontmost sensor would be considered "Sensor 1 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2)"

While I'm at it, can anyone tell me why I can't post attachments myself?
Old 06-22-2005 | 07:45 PM

Get it at Autozone. Bosch brand cost me under 90 bucks just last week. Easy to do. Sounds like you're gonna be replacing the same one I did. It's in the very front. Ya have an email address? I can email you a How-To I have in Microsoft Word format.
Old 06-22-2005 | 07:47 PM

Oh, and ya probably can't post pics because ya can't post attachments. You're a newbie. So am I. You have to post a certain amount of times before it'll allow you.
Old 06-22-2005 | 08:06 PM

Actually I just took a look at the link you posted. That's pretty much what I have. I had to change the Bank 2, front sensor a couple of weeks ago. It's the one with the blue wire. Get the O2 at Autozone. The tool I used to get to it was an angled open end wrench for hoses You’ll need a 7/8” wrench. You can try the O2 sensor socket, but I gave up trying to use it. Too difficult to get to it. Great thing about the Bosch O2 was that it came with all the right plastic tabs that hold the wire in place at the PERFECT spots. So don't worry about cutting them off the bad one. The wire on the new Bosch one is blue too, so be sure you get the right one. Good luck. Let me know if ya need any help.
Old 06-23-2005 | 08:05 AM

Thanks for your quick responses... I'll be attempting to remove the Blue wire O2 sensor this evening. The only place that has this sensor locally is the dealership... There's no listing in my local parts store. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

btw: I may have asked this question on another Thread (me being a Newbie), but did anyone have to get their ECM reprogrammed after replacing their Blue wire O2 Sensor? igzy? I've recently had my MAFS replaced and they had to reprogram the ECM. Less than a week later, this O2 sensor fault showed up...
Old 06-23-2005 | 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by igzy
Hm, I've never heard of anyone changing only the heater inside the sensor...
You're right... you can't... Until I had a problem with this O2 sensor, I was unaware that O2 sensors even had heaters... This car has been working perfectly for the past 5 years and I'm only now attempting to work on the vehicle myself since the warranty has expired. My first mistake was bring the car in to the dealership in Mississauga with what turned out to be the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAFS) problem. I suggested to them to clean the wire element inside and was told that it would not work and the sensor must be replaced. Over $1000 later and less than a week, I'm getting this PO155 O2 Sensor Heater fault code that turned on the "Service Engine Soon" Lamp. Part of the cost of replacing the MAFS was the reprogramming of the ECM with the new MAFS correction factors. I was wondering, because of reprogramming of the MAFS, does the Blue Wire O2 Sensor also now require the reprogramming of the ECM. I plan to contact the dealership, just not the one in Mississauga.
Old 06-23-2005 | 08:46 AM

Thanks for the help here guys, I really appreciate it!

I checked with oxygensensorwholesale.com and they have the sensor for $102, plug it right in and go. Then I called my local Napa, and they have the sensor for $60 and it's in-stock. (Yea!)

When I asked the Napa sales guy why his one was so much cheaper, he said that this one was a "generic" sensor which had to be spliced into the plug on my current 0xygen sensor. (snip the wire on the "sensor side" of the connection and soldier in these wires so it can then be plugged into the harness.) He said the sensor itself is the same, it's just that the plug isn't included, so that's why the difference in cost and that way it will fit many different vehicles. I said, "So they're charging me $40 for the plug??" He goes, "Yea, I guess so..."

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I can't see why this wouldn't work....

I'm not trying to be a cheap-skate here, but if I can avoid spending $40 for the same sensor that's just missing a plastic connector that I'm going to be throwing away anyway, then this seems like a no-brainer to me.

Any thoughts?............

Thanks again for all of the help!
Old 06-23-2005 | 08:49 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Mark2 - the dealership on Dixie and 401 offered the lowest price on the sensor. That is where I bought it. Not sure if that is the same dealership you went to. After you replace it, just reset the ECU (disconnect the battery for >20 mins) and you should be good to go. No other programming required. Some other parts shops could get the sensor too, Bosch, and at their cost it came to $150 + tx which is $20 more than I got it from dealership. BTW, don't quote me on this, but I think that Nissan also uses Bosch as a mfg for O2 sensors...
Old 06-23-2005 | 09:13 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by saxart
Thanks for the help here guys, I really appreciate it!

I checked with oxygensensorwholesale.com and they have the sensor for $102, plug it right in and go. Then I called my local Napa, and they have the sensor for $60 and it's in-stock. (Yea!)

When I asked the Napa sales guy why his one was so much cheaper, he said that this one was a "generic" sensor which had to be spliced into the plug on my current 0xygen sensor. (snip the wire on the "sensor side" of the connection and soldier in these wires so it can then be plugged into the harness.) He said the sensor itself is the same, it's just that the plug isn't included, so that's why the difference in cost and that way it will fit many different vehicles. I said, "So they're charging me $40 for the plug??" He goes, "Yea, I guess so..."

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I can't see why this wouldn't work....

I'm not trying to be a cheap-skate here, but if I can avoid spending $40 for the same sensor that's just missing a plastic connector that I'm going to be throwing away anyway, then this seems like a no-brainer to me.

Any thoughts?............

Thanks again for all of the help!
Dunno what to tell you, I read mixed feedback on this topic... Putting on generic one with splicing may throw off the resistance ECU sees on the sensor and I read some people having no issues whatsoever... Your call :-)
Old 06-23-2005 | 09:29 AM

Igzy-
I just look at the Bosch website and found some interesting info.

First of all, I guess they provide a connector with the "universal-type" sensor for hooking it to your plug.
Here's a link to a picture of it... (If I could post a picture, I would..) ;-)
http://www.boschusa.com/popup_image....=connectsystem

..and for more info than you ever thought you'd like to know about Oxygen sensors:
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/FAQs/OxygenSensors/
Old 06-27-2005 | 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by igzy
Mark2 - the dealership on Dixie and 401 offered the lowest price on the sensor. That is where I bought it. Not sure if that is the same dealership you went to. After you replace it, just reset the ECU (disconnect the battery for >20 mins) and you should be good to go. No other programming required. Some other parts shops could get the sensor too, Bosch, and at their cost it came to $150 + tx which is $20 more than I got it from dealership. BTW, don't quote me on this, but I think that Nissan also uses Bosch as a mfg for O2 sensors...
igzy: Thanks again... I bought the O2 Sensor at the Dixie and 401 dealership on Thursday... replaced it... and have been driving the car ever since... no problems to report, the car is working better than ever now... it actually took me longer to write these threads than it took to replace the sensor...
Old 06-27-2005 | 07:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by saxart
Here's a link to a picture of it... (If I could post a picture, I would..) ;-)
http://www.boschusa.com/popup_image....=connectsystem
You can post a picture... just use the code [IMG]Picture URL[/IMG].

The picture URL can be copied by right clicking on it and:

1. With IE - Go to Properties and copy the Address of the image, which is the URL that ends with .gif, .jpg, etc.

2. With Firefox - Go to Copy Image Location
Old 06-27-2005 | 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

URL: http://www.boschusa.com/images/connectsystem.jpg