5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone else sick of the CL-S vs Max

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 07:24 PM
nc00max

A guy off my boat recently bought himself a new CL-S and has been giving me sh*t ever since. We both agreed to wait till his was broken in before we goofed around racing. Well, Fri. he came up to with a grin on his face and informed me that he had in fact gone over 3K miles. So I said ok, and we agreed to go out cruising Fri. night and put our money where our mouths were. I have an auto with just an OSCAI, so was expecting to lose, even if not by much. Well, we went at it 4 times, twice from the line and twice on I-264 (this was at 11:30, so thankfully traffic was pretty light), and I gotta say, that's a fast damn car. But, not once was he able to pull on me. We were dead even the first time off the line and I edged him out the second (we only went to 70-I'm not that stupid). But on the highway I walked him both times once we passed 90. Needless to say, he was a little ****ed, if not impressed. He's already talking about revenge once he gets his comtech headers. I should have my y-pipe by then, but I expect the headers will give the edge. Oh well, nice to know that my "slow" auto can still keep up, even without any real mods.

Old 05-20-2001, 08:14 PM

He should have won any race if you have an auto, but even though good that you kept up with him.

BTW is he a good driver?
Old 05-20-2001, 08:34 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by 2001SE
He should have won any race if you have an auto, but even though good that you kept up with him.

BTW is he a good driver?
Well, I don't know about his driving skills, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm certainly no Mario Andretti, but how much skill does it take to stomp on it when the light turns green? I agree though, he should've had me. Could the OSCAI really have made the difference?

Old 05-20-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by nc00max

Well, I don't know about his driving skills, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm certainly no Mario Andretti, but how much skill does it take to stomp on it when the light turns green? I agree though, he should've had me. Could the OSCAI really have made the difference?

well this is just more proof that the CL-S is not the car that people claim it to be... I had my chance with one and we all know the results and now here is another example of this... us automagics are no jokeee
Old 05-20-2001, 10:12 PM

Did you shift your auto manually? I bet you did coz I think the CL-S has a slight advantage against auto's. Maybe it's evened out with your OSCAI. Anyways, good job.
Old 05-21-2001, 12:39 AM

Adding some wood to the fire....

I have went up against 2 CL-Ss. The first one was just some guy on the street, the second was a friend of mine. Both races was won by the first guys off the line, whoever launched first... dead even after that up to 100. Can't wait to get my y-pipe in next week
The guys I did not know was not a very good sport... I gave him the " thumb up " and he replied with " the bird "
Guess he thought he should have walked all over the slow Maxima
Old 05-21-2001, 03:18 AM
nc00max

Originally posted by littledog
Did you shift your auto manually? I bet you did coz I think the CL-S has a slight advantage against auto's. Maybe it's evened out with your OSCAI. Anyways, good job.
No, I haven't tried shifting manually yet, seeing as how I would probably jack it up and do it slower than it would in Drive. I'm thinking I'll have my y-pipe long before he ever gets his new headers, so maybe I can get him out again and see if I can do more than just inch him out before 90 or so.

Old 05-21-2001, 04:54 AM
Got Bent?

nice job ..... but unfortunately, this may be the beginning of more flames by the CL-S guys
Old 05-21-2001, 07:53 AM

No Way

You guys kill me. Perhaps you beat the CL, but it was probably a CL-P, which only has 225 horsepower. Like I stated before the max is a quick car, but I have never lost to one. By the way my car is stock for now, but I plan on adding CAI, very soon.
Old 05-21-2001, 07:56 AM

Re: No Way

Originally posted by Acura2001CL-S
You guys kill me. Perhaps you beat the CL, but it was probably a CL-P, which only has 225 horsepower. Like I stated before the max is a quick car, but I have never lost to one. By the way my car is stock for now, but I plan on adding CAI, very soon.

i was looking ur site a few days ago and i noticed people talking about a CL-P what is that? is that the CL-S with that problem with the actuator or something? lemme know... cause i will try to see if my friend has that problem... would u know how to check it? i know they said something like look at the engine near the back from the side and see if that thing over there moves... if u would be able to clarify that for me that would be cool...
thanks
-danny
Old 05-21-2001, 08:12 AM

CL-P

The CL-P is the base model in the CL line. It has softer springs, lower torque, and horsepower. It also has smaller tires and does not have the same exhaust note the CL-S has. In regards to the Actuator, it basically opens up the VTEC and gives the CL-S its extra 35 horses, over the CL-P's 225.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:36 AM

Re: CL-P

The CL-P is the base model in the CL line. It has softer springs, lower torque, and horsepower. It also has smaller tires and does not have the same exhaust note the CL-S has. In regards to the Actuator, it basically opens up the VTEC and gives the CL-S its extra 35 horses, over the CL-P's 225.

oh so basically cl=cl-p

what does the p stand for? on the cars it just says CL
Old 05-21-2001, 08:42 AM

Re: CL-P

But still, there are folks here that have said they have gone up against TL-S' and won. Not by much, but they have. Now, these could be riced out TL's that have the TL-S badge on the car, but who knows. We all know the slushbox transmission in those things are not to good, and I bet that it isn't putting as much of it's 260HP to the tires as it should. Nice looking car, but it could use some more work in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:47 AM

Re: Re: CL-P

Originally posted by Matticus

But still, there are folks here that have said they have gone up against TL-S' and won. Not by much, but they have. Now, these could be riced out TL's that have the TL-S badge on the car, but who knows. We all know the slushbox transmission in those things are not to good, and I bet that it isn't putting as much of it's 260HP to the tires as it should. Nice looking car, but it could use some more work in my opinion.

yea i went up against a CL-S and it wasnt a problem for me... but im thinking maybe his actuator thingie is working properly cause i read about it on there forum and people were having problems with them
Old 05-21-2001, 08:59 AM

The "P" in CL-P stands for premium. My actuator works fine, I can can tell when the VTEC kicks in by the sudden rush of power usually around 5000 rpm, and exhaust note. As for the tranny, yes we do lose alot of power at the wheels, but hopefully when the new manual comes out in 2002, this problem will be resolved.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:18 AM

What's up with all these auto maximas beating these cl-s? Can the people not drive? I drove a regular cl and that thing is pretty quick! I think it would be a good race between a auto max and a reg cl. as far as a cl-s, it would take a 5spd.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:39 AM
nc00max

I know the guy, so...

I know the guy I raced personally, so I know that it's not just a cl with cl-s badging. Although, last night we tried something different-I took out the OSCAI, and this time he beat me every time, but still not by much. I seriously doubt a cl-s could take a 5-speed, especially if the Maxima driver knew what he was doing. Needless to say, the OSCAI is back in and the y-pipe is now on order....

Old 05-21-2001, 10:51 AM

Re: I know the guy, so...

Originally posted by nc00max
I know the guy I raced personally, so I know that it's not just a cl with cl-s badging. Although, last night we tried something different-I took out the OSCAI, and this time he beat me every time, but still not by much. I seriously doubt a cl-s could take a 5-speed, especially if the Maxima driver knew what he was doing. Needless to say, the OSCAI is back in and the y-pipe is now on order....

yea i knew the guy i raced too
Old 05-21-2001, 01:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: No Way

I can't believe you find it so hard to believe. The two cars are so close in numbers in so many track evaluations by the trade mags and such, why does it surprise you?

I believe you man...I don't think you're lying that you've, personally, never lost to a Maxima 5-speed or auto. But, how is it so hard to believe that another CL-S owner might have lost?

You've never raced any of our board members (who are clearly the most performance obsessed Maxima drivers) and none of us have ever raced any of you guys (who are the comparable such drivers of the CL-S).

Maybe, given, perfect performance drivers in both cars in perfect racing conditions, you win...maybe. Bottom line: that's never the case...which is what makes racing so fun. If everything was perfect...there would be no point to racing...because you'd always be able to predict a race much as you seem to think is possible in this case.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into anything that has to be locked...but nice to see another enthusiast on the board, even if you did buy a Honda.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:24 PM

i see fire

i see fire i see max, i see acura's in the dust....ok, it don't ryme, but i'm no poet, i'm a max driver and i'm going to race my friend with a cls sometime in the future.....so i'll know for my self.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:43 PM

Re: Adding some wood to the fire....

A little mistake on my part... the first guy I raced ( the guy I did not know ) has a CL-S. I don't think it was just the emblem because he did not have his license plates yet, just the dealer logos. My friend that I raced has a TL-S.
I apologize for the mistake... but never the less, the results were the same.

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
I have went up against 2 CL-Ss. The first one was just some guy on the street, the second was a friend of mine. Both races was won by the first guys off the line, whoever launched first... dead even after that up to 100. Can't wait to get my y-pipe in next week
The guys I did not know was not a very good sport... I gave him the " thumb up " and he replied with " the bird "
Guess he thought he should have walked all over the slow Maxima
Old 05-21-2001, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Runutzzzzz
What's up with all these auto maximas beating these cl-s? Can the people not drive? I drove a regular cl and that thing is pretty quick! I think it would be a good race between a auto max and a reg cl. as far as a cl-s, it would take a 5spd.
I walked on a TL a couple of weeks ago. Once the tach needle passes 4,000rpms in 1st gear, I pass him and he never catches up. This was before I had my OSCAI.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:10 PM

VTEC kick in?

I still don't understand people when they say "....when VTEC kicks in I feel the rush and dusted them....". There are only a few cars you can actually feel the VTEC. ITR, Prelude (very slight), S2000, and NSX. And you do NOT hear VTEC. What you are hearing is dual intake runner opening up. People confuse this sound with VTEC-kick-in sound. There is no sound when VTEC kicks in.

The difference between CL and CLS is different header (maybe they have the same I am not quite sure) and dual intake runner. With SOHC VTEC engine I hardly think that you can feel anything when VTEC kicks in. You are hearing the dual intake runner opening and this gives more power to CL-S - unlike Integra R having more power than regular integra (incidently ITR does not have a dual intake runner). And besides ALL SOHC VTECs are geared toward economy rather than performance. Real performer is DOHC VTEC.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:16 PM

Re: VTEC kick in?

Originally posted by HKMax
I still don't understand people when they say "....when VTEC kicks in I feel the rush and dusted them....". There are only a few cars you can actually feel the VTEC. ITR, Prelude (very slight), S2000, and NSX. And you do NOT hear VTEC. What you are hearing is dual intake runner opening up. People confuse this sound with VTEC-kick-in sound. There is no sound when VTEC kicks in.

The difference between CL and CLS is different header (maybe they have the same I am not quite sure) and dual intake runner. With SOHC VTEC engine I hardly think that you can feel anything when VTEC kicks in. You are hearing the dual intake runner opening and this gives more power to CL-S - unlike Integra R having more power than regular integra (incidently ITR does not have a dual intake runner). And besides ALL SOHC VTECs are geared toward economy rather than performance. Real performer is DOHC VTEC.
hehehe try telling that to the TL/CL crowd
Old 05-21-2001, 09:19 PM

Every knowledgable Honda guys know this
Old 05-21-2001, 09:24 PM

Maybe we should start a forum just for that discussion.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
*raises hand*

you need deoderant
Old 05-21-2001, 09:26 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

*raises hand*
Old 05-21-2001, 09:31 PM

The AYE's have it

Motion passed. Jambo...?

And yes, you (no, not YOU Jambo) DO need deodorant. The Old Spice Sport Stick ain't cuttin' it.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:33 PM

Re: The AYE's have it

Originally posted by RcticMax
Motion passed. Jambo...?

And yes, you (no, not YOU Jambo) DO need deodorant. The Old Spice Sport Stick ain't cuttin' it.
Wouldn't it be Old Rice?
Old 05-21-2001, 09:43 PM

neigh

i think it's quite entertaining
Old 05-21-2001, 09:46 PM

Re: Re: The AYE's have it

Originally posted by punkdork

Wouldn't it be Old Rice?
LOL! You so funny!
Old 05-21-2001, 09:49 PM

On my screen, YJ's crack on Kev came BEFORE kev posted about raising his hand. Is it just my computer?

I like these CL-S Vs Max dicussions. I like to hear their side of the story and laugh at them

BOW DOWN TO THE CL-S OWNERS, THEY ARE SUPERIOR TO US!
Old 05-21-2001, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

BOW DOWN TO THE CL-S OWNERS, THEY ARE SUPERIOR TO US!
When I read that the first time, I thought it said CLOWNERS. Now you're talkin.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:06 PM
PhatGuy

CL-S owners have something to prove...not Maxima owners....been proven for decades.....

Old 05-21-2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
CL-S owners have something to prove...not Maxima owners....been proven for decades.....
not proven....DRIVEN.....lol
Old 05-21-2001, 10:49 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
On my screen, YJ's crack on Kev came BEFORE kev posted about raising his hand. Is it just my computer?
Don't know what happened.
Old 05-21-2001, 11:11 PM

wierd stuff happen, if i post rite after someone posted, my post is before theres.. if i post once, and i go back 1 minute later and post again, my previous post is deleted.. bug??
Old 05-22-2001, 04:58 AM
Got Bent?

:raising hand also:

no YJ, I don't need any deodorant either
Old 05-22-2001, 06:07 AM

One of those bugs where if you reply at the right time your reply goes ABOVE the original post... kinda weird... like I saw the future!

Quick Reply: Anyone else sick of the CL-S vs Max