5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone else sick of the CL-S vs Max

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 06:39 AM

Re: VTEC kick in?

Originally posted by HKMax
I still don't understand people when they say "....when VTEC kicks in I feel the rush and dusted them....". There are only a few cars you can actually feel the VTEC. ITR, Prelude (very slight), S2000, and NSX. And you do NOT hear VTEC. What you are hearing is dual intake runner opening up. People confuse this sound with VTEC-kick-in sound. There is no sound when VTEC kicks in.

The difference between CL and CLS is different header (maybe they have the same I am not quite sure) and dual intake runner. With SOHC VTEC engine I hardly think that you can feel anything when VTEC kicks in. You are hearing the dual intake runner opening and this gives more power to CL-S - unlike Integra R having more power than regular integra (incidently ITR does not have a dual intake runner). And besides ALL SOHC VTECs are geared toward economy rather than performance. Real performer is DOHC VTEC.
Dude, what are you talking about? The difference between the CL-P, and the CL-S is 35hp, it's a night and day difference in terms of performance. I know you can't actually hear VTEC kick in, but you sure the hell can feel it! When the VTEC kicks in, excuse me, engages my car pulls hard, especially in third gear where it tops out at about 112!
Old 05-22-2001, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by punkdork

One of those bugs where if you reply at the right time your reply goes ABOVE the original post... kinda weird... like I saw the future!

yea it happends all the time... its really weird... but its ok cause u can atleast see the post... the most annoying is when a post gets deleted... atleast sometimes people reply to it so i can see it in someone elses post but its funny to read something and be like hey where did this come from? i dont remember seeing it...
Old 05-22-2001, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nay..

Let it go...for now. I neva even heard of a CL-S before these threads. So it's nice to know what they are, and what they're thinking when I pull up next to one at a light or on the h/way. I am amused by their misguided passion. But maybe they won't lose every race to a Maxima!

Yongjun is a :vampire: psychic. He can c da foocha!
Old 05-22-2001, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: VTEC kick in?

Originally posted by Acura2001CL-S

Dude, what are you talking about? The difference between the CL-P, and the CL-S is 35hp, it's a night and day difference in terms of performance. I know you can't actually hear VTEC kick in, but you sure the hell can feel it! When the VTEC kicks in, excuse me, engages my car pulls hard, especially in third gear where it tops out at about 112!
Yes, the difference 35HP that comes from diffenrent intake planum and dual stage intake runner. I am not saying that CL and CL-S are basically the same car. I bet the difeerence is like you said. What I am trying to get accross here is that you neither hear VTEV engagement nor feel the engagement. For CL-S, what you feel is the dual intake runner opening up - not VTEC.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:14 AM

Re: VTEC kick in?

I still don't understand people when they say "....when VTEC kicks in I feel the rush and dusted them....". There are only a few cars you can actually feel the VTEC. ITR, Prelude (very slight), S2000, and NSX. And you do NOT hear VTEC. What you are hearing is dual intake runner opening up. People confuse this sound with VTEC-kick-in sound. There is no sound when VTEC kicks in.

That isn't always true. our family has a accord v6 w/ a aem short ram intake. Before the intake, you couldn't even hear the vtec kick in or feel the vtec kick in, all you could hear was air. But now, you can definately tell when vtec kicks in b/c the sound changes and the needle goes up faster.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:28 AM

this is getting ridiculous

1) Automatic maxima's CANNOT beat the cl-s in a straight line even if he shifts manually. The automatic maxima's get 15.6+ in the 1/4, while the Cl-S gets 14.9-15.1 in the 1/4mi, the numbers speak for themselves.

2) But a 5spd is a different thing, it's up to the Maxima driver on that one.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:18 AM

I see all these flipping stories about people racing CL-S... am I the only one who thinks CL-S are worthless to race? They aren't in the same catagory as a Maxima...to me, they are pretty god-awful ugly and they really aren't all that great of a car.

Maybe i'm just venting from seeing all this non-sense about CL-S this CL-S that... blah..
Old 05-22-2001, 10:56 AM
Got Bent?

I am with you....I don't care....
Old 05-22-2001, 11:53 AM

CL-S? What's a CL-S?????
Old 05-22-2001, 12:14 PM

I personally am not big on any acuras or hondas for that matter. The NSX is nice.. but I'd spend that money on a different car. The others are just too common or too blah for my tastes.
Old 05-22-2001, 12:22 PM

Re: this is getting ridiculous

Originally posted by Mugen13
1) Automatic maxima's CANNOT beat the cl-s in a straight line even if he shifts manually. The automatic maxima's get 15.6+ in the 1/4, while the Cl-S gets 14.9-15.1 in the 1/4mi, the numbers speak for themselves.

2) But a 5spd is a different thing, it's up to the Maxima driver on that one.
I think this belongs on one of the threads where people actually want to hear about the damned cl-s
Old 05-22-2001, 12:31 PM

I think we should make a sticky that says "Maxima vs. CL-S" and redirect anyone who posts about this race....and also a FAQ where we all know that the answers will be to the Max's favor
Old 05-22-2001, 02:46 PM

I think a CL-S might be able to beat me in a race, but that is because I'm not a great driver. The only Honda I would own is a NSX. The NSX is a nice car.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:04 PM

okay let's clear some stuff up...

There most definitely is a sound when VTEC kicks in, even on my bone stock Accord V6 J30A1. When VTEC engages at around 3500rpm the whole sound and tone of the engine changes rather dramatically. The J30A1 doesn't have a dual-stage intake, so it's most definitely VTEC that causes the tone to change. You won't really notice or feel it under part-throttle. You'll hear it under moderate throttle but maybe not feel it. But if you're WOT you most definitely *will* both hear and feel it when VTEC engages. The engine note changes and gets much deeper and throatier, if you will, and it is quite apparent. Maybe I just have an ear for it, though. If I'm racing somebody off the line and punch it there really isn't a whole lot of acceleration and engine sound until the VTEC engagement. All of a sudden at VTEC engagement (3500 rpm on the J30A1 Accord V6) there is a "second wind" of hard acceleration and the engine note changes very noticeably.

If you don't believe me then if you're in my area I'll take you for a ride in my Accord and give you a demo.

The difference between CL and CLS is different header (maybe they have the same I am not quite sure) and dual intake runner. With SOHC VTEC engine I hardly think that you can feel anything when VTEC kicks in. You are hearing the dual intake runner opening and this gives more power to CL-S - unlike Integra R having more power than regular integra (incidently ITR does not have a dual intake runner). And besides ALL SOHC VTECs are geared toward economy rather than performance. Real performer is DOHC VTEC.
Well I'm not sure about the header part, but the differences between the J32A1 (TL/CL) and the J32A2 (Type-S) are the dual-stage intake manifold, larger throttle body (basically lots of intake work). There was also some top end work done on the engine to bring up the maximum rpm from 6300rpm to 7000rpm. Also, and this isn't engine related, but the SportShift tranny had to be beefed up a bit to safely and reliably handle the extra power and higher rotational speeds of the engine.

The J30A1 in my Accord V6 doesn't have a dual-stage intake, but the engine sound and tone still changes pretty drastically when the cams switch to the VTEC lobe at 3500rpm - and that's all stock. Maybe it's a little more dramatic because the J30A1 engine actually uses a hybrid "SOHC VTEC-E" VTEC system that only fully actuates one intake valve on the non-VTEC lobes, which makes it pretty much a 1-valve intake system at low rpm for better swirl and more efficient combustion and better fuel mileage. The performance of this cam setup falls off vs. a standard cam setup right at around 3500rpm, so that's where our VTEC "hot cam" kicks in. Right where the non-VTEC lobes are really dying is when the VTEC hot cam picks up and it's quite noticeable.

Maybe you don't hear or feel as much on a regular SOHC VTEC or even a DOHC VTEC system without the "E". I'm not sure if the J32A engines are setup like this or not, but the J30A1 in the Accord is.

SOHC VTEC is not geared towards economy. A straight "VTEC-E" system *is geared* towards economy only and not performance. But not a SOHC VTEC-E setup, or even SOHC VTEC "without the E" Regular SOHC VTEC is geared at performance only, while SOHC VTEC-E is geared towards both.

But saying that "SOHC VTEC" in general is only geared towards economy is technically incorrect.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:28 PM

VTEC does make a sound, and so does the induction system, the sound of the induction come from the intake, you can hear that on all the cars, and the sound of VTEC comes from the exhaust due to a change of "cam". The Maxima has a induction system that you can hear also. But the Maxima w/ CAI sounds better than the CL-S